Penn State University

Penn State University Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Penn State University President Rodney A. Erickson

Rodney A. Erickson

Pros
  • There is a friendly environment, and a culture of professionalism and work-life balance(in 12 reviews)

• Great benefits, lots of opportunities, great if your boss is as cool as mine(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are unfamiliar with the area, it is in what many would consider the middle of nowhere(in 11 reviews)

• small town, basically in the middle of nowhere(in 12 reviews)

Beautiful Campus and good atmosphere.

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) State College, PA

ProsSmall town feel, with most of the professors being laid back and accessible. Nice bus schedule. Good overall community and school pride. The summertime here is heaven.

ConsGraduate health insurance just skyrocketed, and the construction seems to last an eternity. The student population can be overwhelming at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Working for Penn State Libraries

InterLibrary Loan Staff Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsInsider access to millions of volumes of books and media. Friendly work environment.

ConsMost of the jobs are very low-paying, not much room for promotion as a student.

Small campus with big university resources

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Media, PA

ProsUniversity has lots of resources with strong emphasis on research. Full-time pay and benefits aren't bad.

ConsThings can get a little too political.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little less politics, and lot more shared governance.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Bureaucratic Structure for An Academic Environment

Assistant Professor (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent research resources and tools.

ConsMismanaged (at its best), highly politicized work environment. Those in power not very open to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a more balanced & collegiate work environment.

Great learning experience

Editorial Assistant (Current Employee) Altoona, PA

ProsGreat experience, guidance from prof.

ConsNo job growth in current position

Great job/Student Organizations with a few Political Problems

Student Tour Guide (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work environment, laid back atmosphere, rewarding job and fantastic organizations (during the year it becomes a student org volunteer effort and we are no longer paid.)

ConsInconsistent hours make it difficult to juggle with other day jobs, highly politicized work environment, and the different orgs tend to become very cliquish. People in leadership positions aren't always the most qualified, but the most liked.

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) Penn, PA

ProsSo great to be there and do things for people and stuff. Will never leave.

ConsGreat place to be fun and have fun with people who like fun. Have fun at all times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it coming

PSU is one big family! One of the best place to live and work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery friendly people, always ready to help. If you are new in town you would get used to everything very quick because of the people around. PSU as I said is one big family, so it is a great experience to work and live here.

ConsIt is in the middle of no where but you still do have everything around you. It's a city in itself

Great place to work!

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) University Park, PA

ProsI am working as a program coordinator while earning a PhD for the past four years. Very flexible, laid back, friendly environment. Under the grant I have been able to work as a graduate fellow allowing for additional tuition assistance.

ConsNo major challenges. However, I have no control over pay. My salary comes from a grant that has restrictions.

Best Public Ivy League University

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) State College, PA

ProsInternational Student Advising
    Quality of Computer Science courses and professors
    Safe and beautiful college town - State College
    Penn State Football! Go Lions!

ConsNothing significant to report here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the acceptance rate low and remain competitive.

Worked for Penn State University? Contribute to the Community!