Penn Station Reviews

Jeff Osterfeld

1. Dear hiring manager

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Talking to customers Hourly pay

Cons

Rude customers Violent and confrontational customers No air conditioning I'm working harder than what I was getting paid for

Advice to Management

I'm experienced in customer services, marketing, sales and also retail.i have a student mentality so I am ready, and willing to learn new crafts. I'm a fast learner and very observant

2. Greasy, slippery

Former Employee - Cashier/Crew
    Former Employee - Cashier/Crew

Pros

-Fun -Fast paced -Good food -People are helpful -Simple to a point/Not for people who dont like moving

Cons

-Dont train well -Little hours to none yet hires more people -Many jobs at once -Greasy air feels heavy -Hot

3. Management was weird

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

A job A paycheck Flexible schedule Set hours

Cons

Fast food industry Disorganized management Creepy older guys regularly hit on younger girls

Advice to Management

N/a

5. Low Pay but Great Company

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Penn Station full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company that looks after one another. There is much room for advancement.

Cons

Low pay, long hours. Its hard to find a good reliable staff which makes your job difficult.

Advice to Management

Compensate better

6. Decent job, but too many downfalls in the end

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Penn Station part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, friendly customers, easy job.

Cons

Low pay, frequent schedule changes (schedule changed 2-3 times a week, without even hours worth of notice), no breaks, many high school students working there, employees came and went quickly, management has no experience, only can move up so far in the company, tons of cleaning work.

Advice to Management

People need breaks. When I work 6-11 hours a day, I need to sit down at least once or twice, or actually have a meal without standing. I was so exhausted by the end of the day. My home-life suffered because since I was working that many hours a day without any breaks, My body was too exhausted to do anything when I was home. I couldn't take any breaks because no one was there to cover my position. Also, please do what you say you're going to do. I was promised many things that never happened. Management needs to realize people have lives outside of work and respect that, and not call the same person over and over to either come in early, or work someone else's shift. If I don't answer, or say that I have previous plans (When I was scheduled off already)- don't hold it against me. My job was actually threatened when I was scheduled off a day, and was already out of town (45 minutes away) and someone had called in and they needed me in 1 hour.

7. None

Current Employee - Team Member
    Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at Penn Station part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have none at this time

Cons

Told that there is room for advancement but the Gen. Mgr. likes being at the top so there is none.

8. He was a good supervisor.

Former Employee - Sandwich Assembler in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Sandwich Assembler in Lombard, IL

I worked at Penn Station part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If asked to work one hour more the day i was schedule to work, he always said yes.

Cons

He didn't give me enough hours to work.

9. Working with the people at Penn Station was great fun while I still had to deal with typical fast food problems.

Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Penn Station part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great People - the workers seem to be much more friendly and laid back than other locations Great Environment - It may just have been my personal experience but patience within management flexible scheduling allows this to make a good supplementary job Perfect First Job - This position teaches people how to work with each other and depending on your location allows you to feel the stress of working in a demanding environment. I have grown to appreciate the work that I did there. It teaches that people work better as a team and that asking for help is not a sign of weakness or something to be embarrassed of.

Cons

Customers - This applies to any food service employee, customers can be fun and interesting but also incredibly testing. Little Upward Momentum - I understand that this is fast food but there is a distinct lack of any feasible long-term position unless you can get to a position of general manager.

Advice to Management

On an individual store basis management is different. For my own location management was very supportive and helpful. Mistakes were recognized but they were also used as opportunities for growth instead of punishment.

10. Great work environment, Very thick ceiling!

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Columbus, IN

I worked at Penn Station full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great Employees - Excellent work environment - Enjoyable Work - Delicious products

Cons

- Bad management (more concerned with labor % than with keeping store well maintained) - Cheap-Ass Owners - Little or no room to move up - Little or no benefits

Advice to Management

General Managers need to take better care of their Employees and in turn the employees will produce better Customer Service.

11. Good concept, questionable ethics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Penn Station full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good hours of operation, some franchises close most major holidays. Simple menu, Generally easy to close the store down very quickly.

Cons

Typical food service operation anyone who knows the food business knows what I mean. Easy to talk about doing things a certain way if you do not have to do them.

RSS Feed </> Embed