Penn Station

Jeff Osterfeld

Low Pay but Great Company

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Penn Station full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small company that looks after one another. There is much room for advancement.

Cons

Low pay, long hours. Its hard to find a good reliable staff which makes your job difficult.

Compensate better

Decent job, but too many downfalls in the end

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Penn Station part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, friendly customers, easy job.

Cons

Low pay, frequent schedule changes (schedule changed 2-3 times a week, without even hours worth of notice), no breaks, many high school students working there, employees came and went quickly, management has no experience, only can move up so far in the company, tons of cleaning work.

People need breaks. When I work 6-11 hours a day, I need to sit down at least once or twice, or actually have a meal without standing. I was so exhausted by the end of the day. My home-life suffered because since I was working that many hours a day without any breaks, My body was too exhausted to do anything when I was home. I couldn't take any breaks because no one was there to cover my position. Also, please do what you say you're going to do. I was promised many things that never happened. Management needs to realize people have lives outside of work and respect that, and not call the same person over and over to either come in early, or work someone else's shift. If I don't answer, or say that I have previous plans (When I was scheduled off already)- don't hold it against me. My job was actually threatened when I was scheduled off a day, and was already out of town (45 minutes away) and someone had called in and they needed me in 1 hour.

None

Current Employee - Team Member
    Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at Penn Station part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have none at this time

Cons

Told that there is room for advancement but the Gen. Mgr. likes being at the top so there is none.

He was a good supervisor.

Former Employee - Sandwich Assembler in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Sandwich Assembler in Lombard, IL

I worked at Penn Station part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If asked to work one hour more the day i was schedule to work, he always said yes.

Cons

He didn't give me enough hours to work.

Working with the people at Penn Station was great fun while I still had to deal with typical fast food problems.

Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Penn Station part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great People - the workers seem to be much more friendly and laid back than other locations
    Great Environment - It may just have been my personal experience but patience within management flexible scheduling allows this to make a good supplementary job
    Perfect First Job - This position teaches people how to work with each other and depending on your location allows you to feel the stress of working in a demanding environment. I have grown to appreciate the work that I did there. It teaches that people work better as a team and that asking for help is not a sign of weakness or something to be embarrassed of.

Cons

Customers - This applies to any food service employee, customers can be fun and interesting but also incredibly testing.
    Little Upward Momentum - I understand that this is fast food but there is a distinct lack of any feasible long-term position unless you can get to a position of general manager.

On an individual store basis management is different. For my own location management was very supportive and helpful. Mistakes were recognized but they were also used as opportunities for growth instead of punishment.

Great work environment, Very thick ceiling!

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Columbus, IN

I worked at Penn Station full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great Employees
    - Excellent work environment
    - Enjoyable Work
    - Delicious products

Cons

- Bad management (more concerned with labor % than with keeping store well maintained)
    - Cheap-Ass Owners
    - Little or no room to move up
    - Little or no benefits

General Managers need to take better care of their Employees and in turn the employees will produce better Customer Service.

Good concept, questionable ethics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Penn Station full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good hours of operation, some franchises close most major holidays. Simple menu, Generally easy to close the store down very quickly.

Cons

Typical food service operation anyone who knows the food business knows what I mean. Easy to talk about doing things a certain way if you do not have to do them.

Learned great customer service skills

I worked at Penn Station

Pros

Fun place to work, had great co-workers. I worked there for 3 years and still enjoy the food so that should tell you it's fresh and clean there.

Cons

No opportunities for management positions to be flexible while I was attending college.

Be for flexible with scheduling.

okay for starting out,

Current Employee - Crew Leader in Clinton Township, MI
    Current Employee - Crew Leader in Clinton Township, MI

I have been working at Penn Station

Pros

flexible hours, easy work, not requirements to start. Gets you some real world experience in the service industry. Which is something great to take with you if you plan on moving on to bigger and better things.

Cons

low pay, no benefits, not much of a long term solution.

reward more for a job well done. Do more things to show the employees you care about them.

Shift leader

I worked at Penn Station

Pros

You are able to pick your schedule and time of work. Possible shifts include 9-5, 12 - 2, 5 - 10, or open to close.

Cons

There is little to no room for professional growth. Actual max salary will be in the range of nine to ten dollars

Although this position requires very little training, the basic training for this job is not clear. Improvements could be made on proper equipment cleaning.