PennWell Corporation

Updated May 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert F. Biolchini

Learned a lot, found lots of opportunity to contribute to company's digital efforts.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to focus on an area of B2B editorial for which you have passion. Running a Pennwell media property or participating in its operations provides great access to the industry that you're covering.

ConsCompany can sometimes feel more like a family than a company. Some people seemed to find this comforting, but it seemed to hold the company back.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in more people from the outside with diverse experiences.

Stable company with decent work environment

ProsGreat to work for, great coworkers, great location (Yay NH), room for growth in the company

ConsCorporation with a lot of different magazines to juggle: although there is breathing room for creativity and growth, you are limited by the fact that it's a corporation and you have to stick to corporate processes. Although if there weren't any in place, it'd be even harder to get anything accomplished.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy manager is great.

Great forward thinking company to work for offering personal growth potential

Nashua, NH

ProsMy personal experience working for over 16 years with this company was a very positive one. By working hard and doing my personal best I was able to move, with promotions to 4 different positions within the company. Each position offered a learning curve, but also people who were more than willing to help me learn. This company, with over 300 employees feels like a family where everyone knows your name. They are also a company that gives back to society in the many charitable drives they sponsor. They offer a decent pay, and a good benefit and vacation package.

ConsThe main challenge I see is what I am outlining in the "Advice to Management" below.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to upper management is for all to be as understanding as my manager ( Senior VP Nashua Division) has been with my family situation. Often people struggle with work and family demands. Once an employee proves him or herself to their manager as being trust worthy and hard working I believe managers should allow flexibility with hours of work, within reason, to meet the needs and demands of Family and Job. I believe managers will have happier, and more satisfied workers with a higher probability of retaining them as dedicated employees of the company.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work BEFORE the internal family feud which led to a change and decline in the very upper management.

Conference Management (Former Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

ProsThere were great people to work with back in the 1980's and 1990's, and lots of career opportunities. There was a friendly culture environment. People wanted to work together for the betterment of the whole.

ConsPoor management - focus TOO much on the bottom line. There's more to life, a career, a company, etc. The company become so focused on making money only that it drove good people away.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe humane. P.C. Lauinger is rolling over in his grave at the way things are being done, and the poor way in which people are treated.

Not impressive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of travel if you're in the event planning section.

ConsNot transparent at all. Decisions made and handed down from on high without input or a chance to question and understand the thinking and reasons for them.

A family-run business that doesn't have to answer to anyone but the CEO.

Company uses twisted logic to defend what most companies would deem indefensible decisions.

PennWell is a decent place to work.

Nashua, NH

ProsOpportunities to learn new skills
    Nice people

ConsOffice politics can be pretty messed up.

Advice to Senior ManagementPennWell would be a better place to work if there weren't so much backstabbing going on.

A great company for gaining some professional experience and learning the basics of the publishing industry.

Associate Editor (Current Employee)

ProsPennWell is a good, old-fashioned company. They reward good ideas and hard work, but it is hard to get bigger projects done or see bolder ideas completed, even if the entire team responsible thinks it's a good idea. Someone at the top is holding the company back, in my opinion. But if you wanted to stay there for 40 years, which many people do, it's a good, safe company to work for.

ConsNot a great place to rise to the top or to consistently challenge yourself. It's a good place to gain some experience in an entry-level position and build up your credentials though. Communication between managers and down the line is terrible.

Ok experience overall...

Research Analyst (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsA relaxed company culture, a good work/life balance, and some of the nicest people I ever met were the major positives from my experience. Clearly stated procedures, stress-free production and quality standards can be spun as a positive. Not a terrible place right out of college but those that are ambitious or hardworking may ultimately feel unfulfilled at the end of the day.

ConsWorkload and the day-to-day were not very intellectually stimulating. There was limited opportunity for creativity and growth. Top-down management style was at times challenging and resistant to change, albeit necessary considering the project management type workload.

Working at PennWell

Manager (Current Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

ProsWork/Life balance is not a problem. Very relaxed work environment.

ConsWork is very much day to day. Very little planning for improvement. Company is very segemented across brands which leads to internal competition amongst groups. This can be good, but overall it does not encourage synergies/consistency for the good of all.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some time to look at the company as a whole. Consider the value in promoting PennWell as an organization, not just individual brands. This will foster employee's company pride and permit them to work together to gain traction in bringing value to the overall organization.

B2B Media Market is On the Decline and So is PennWell

ProsGreat, kind people
    Talented workforce
    Strong editorial content
    The people work really hard
    People are willing to help others out

ConsOverworked and underpaid
    No clear strategy or direction
    Upper management is out of touch
    Technology issues
    Very low morale
    Tulsa HQ is clueless

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs a cohesive direction and plan for the company. Fix the technology issues. Be honest with the employees and stop all the unnecessary drama that you create.

Worked for PennWell Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PennWell Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PennWell Corporation CEO Robert F. Biolchini. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by PennWell Corporation employees.