PennWell Corporation Reviews

2.8
Robert F. Biolchini

1. People are great, office isn't

I have been working at PennWell Corporation

Pros

Great health benefits, fair salaries, flexible schedule

Cons

Office is a disgrace, the owner should be ashamed that the building conditions are so disgusting and not quality work environment.

Learn to communicate, stop the high-school politics

2. Good work/life balance, horrible leadership

I have been working at PennWell Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent salaries, yearly bonuses, flexible hours and good work/life balance

Cons

Horribly misguided leadership that trickles down and affects everyone, down to the lowest levels.

Look further into the future than the next quarter, and share a strategic vision with the entire company.

3. GREAT company and wonderful staff and administration!

I worked at PennWell Corporation

Pros

I worked with Pennwell for less than a year and it has really taught me many things pertaining to sales and marketing. I knew many things about Business/sales walking in to this positions but I wanted to learn more about Marketing so my Supervisor placed me on teams and projects that needed marketing assistance. Moving forward I worked with marketing managers and specialist on various project and they were my mentors throughout the duration of my stay with Pennwell. GREAT OFFICE Culture. I worked in a small office so it was not too overwhelming walking in and very comfortable and family like atmosphere.

Cons

Some work was boring and just busy work but still worth putting in all efforts to make sure your work is good so you could move up on to much more exciting projects.

Keep up the good work in keeping your office environment friendly as well as making any position interesting.

Could improve working conditions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at PennWell Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People. Stable company. Decent pay.

Cons

Very lean. Horrible work environment.

Do more to make your employees feel you actually want them there

Upper Management is extremely incompetent; it trickles down.

Current Employee - Video Production in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Video Production in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at PennWell Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only pro is the pay.

Cons

Tulsa HQ building is disgusting - infested with cockroaches, mold, etc. Most employees are not afforded even modern luxuries such as ergonomic chairs and desk situations. Management is so scattered and unfocused, and they are not knowledgable about their supposed niche. The environment absolutely quashes all possible creativity; the atmosphere is stifling and stagnant.

Those younger people with built-in digital media experience? Let their ideas be heard and truly considered, perhaps even executed. What's the point in hiring an "expert" when you don't let them exercise their skillset effectively because you're blocking them at every turn?

Great brands

I have been working at PennWell Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good and talented people work here. The benefits are decent. There is a real sense of community among the employees, they help and care for each other.

Cons

Decision making is disjointed. Departments are in silos most of the time. There tends to be a lot of meetings that are less than productive.

If you don't know how a decision impacts your customer, find out.

Struggling to adapt in changing marketplace

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist

I have been working at PennWell Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good people, opportunity for worldwide travel, trade shows and conferences

Cons

Stuck in a print model when rest of the world is converting to online and digital. Not to say they don't try or pretend that they try to move away from print but some of the long-timers are resistant to the change, especially since the model at PennWell is such that they make more revenue from print sales.

Clean out a lot of the old guard in management and hire new, fresh, innovative employees that can advance the company forward.

Old Boys Club

Former Employee - Associate Editor in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in Tulsa, OK

I worked at PennWell Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Because management is so terrible, I had a lot of independence and was given a lot of responsibility from the beginning, which was a great opportunity to prove myself. There is a good work-life balance; the company has a relaxed atmosphere. People can get by doing the bare minimum and most people leave by 4:45 every day.

They pay really well. I countered their first offer and they raised it by 25%. You're eligible for a 5% bonus every year, which wasn't hard to get as an editor (although they never discuss what the qualifications for reaching your maximum are beforehand so you can't really work for it). Raises also seemed to come about easily. By the time I left, I made $20,000 more than what they originally offered me two years before. I hated working there, but it's a great place to start and if you just want to make some easy money and have little stress, it's the place to be. If you want to advance your skills and career, you're better off somewhere else.

Cons

Management in general. My publisher admitted that he didn't read articles, whether in print or online. Meetings are ridiculous, full of corporate speak that means nothing, and everything is pushed off for later dates. A lot of "We'll follow up and email so-and-so and then we can discuss this at another meeting next week," which just goes on and on. There's no communication; nobody ever knew what was going on in my department. There's no collaboration or planning. It seems like people are just trying to do enough not to get noticed by management, which means people stay in the same position for 20 years. Also, seems they only promote men. There was a lot of evident sexism in my department that went unchecked. Decisions are not made proactively, things just kind of happen. The company in general is terrified of change, and Bob Biolchini gives an address every year about how excited he is about digital publishing (he's about 10 years behind) and how much he hates Obama, so that's always a good time.

Retire.

Good place to intern.

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at PennWell Corporation as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good environment to learn. Lots of people willing to teach/ help you learn.

Cons

Not a lot a movement- very sedentary.

Learned a lot, found lots of opportunity to contribute to company's digital efforts.

I worked at PennWell Corporation (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to focus on an area of B2B editorial for which you have passion. Running a Pennwell media property or participating in its operations provides great access to the industry that you're covering.

Cons

Company can sometimes feel more like a family than a company. Some people seemed to find this comforting, but it seemed to hold the company back.

Bring in more people from the outside with diverse experiences.