PennWest

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

David E. Roberts

Good Company

ProsGood people, strong community sense. Becoming more goal driven, which is good. People are given an opportunity to excel, and responsibility is given to those who take initiative.

ConsOrganizational structure has been confusing and has changed multiple times. This has been a long process, and seems to be improving with each month.

Turnaround is coming but will it be in time?

Production Reliability (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsCEO is totally unlike his predecessor, which is a good thing. Mr Roberts is passionate and has a very good handle on the things that will turn this company around.
    Good fringe benefit package (vacation, health spending account, office closure days)

ConsImmense workload due to recent staffing changes.
    Salary is below average and should be made up by the stock option plan but the stock is performing so terribly that options are worthless.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to look at the people in middle management in the company. Some of them are not buying into the new culture

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsThe people are nice, good work to life balance

ConsAlways change in management, I think that affected the employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Penn West

Production Engineer (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood total compensation and work life balance, excellent front line staff

ConsNo vision or strategic planning

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit

I actually looked forward to going into work each morning.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsBeing able to incorporate not only exercise but other interests into my day right at work! I was part of Toastmasters Club, the many challenges at the gym, seminars for health and well being, the social club.......loads to keep you active and healthy.

ConsRestructuring is always a con for the employees that are let go. Me being one of them only hopes that Penn West will become a strong, major company in the Oil and Gas world and will provide the same innovative culture for the wonderful people that still work there. I hope the lost jobs were not in vain

Advice to Senior ManagementGood people need to be listened to.

Sad Excuse For a Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation was ok but bonus system could have been much better. Not a bonus when given in stock and the company is not doing well. By the time you can cash it, you might get a beer out of it.

ConsUpper management is what destroyed this company but they are the ones who have stayed on while those who worked their butts of get fired or laid off. This company is now made up of incompetent people from the glass palace right down to field level.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell. You don't have a chance of making it anymore.

Needs a shakeup

Engineer (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood savings plan and benefits. Gym on location in the building.

ConsBad management at both senior and middle levels. Overstaffed. Poor moral. Terrible track record.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire each other

A company focused on its people.

Engineering Student (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsLots of opportunity to learn.

ConsA little behind the industry for internship contract time-wise.

Disappointing in the way employees are treated.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost co-workers are friendly and helpful, contributing to a fun working atmosphere most of the time. Salaries are comparable to the industry norm.

ConsVery disfunctional management where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
    Many great employees have either been fired or quit do to unfair management practices. I would not recommend working for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't keep chasing the good employees away if you want to survive. PennWest's image isn't a good as you think.

Great place to start your career, lots of opportunities to explore

Accounting (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsThe senior management team is down to earth and very approachable.
    Penn West provides great training supports for staff wanting to learn

ConsEventually, it becomes difficult to continue progressing to senior levels without leaving the company. This is probably true for many companies in the industry; a lot of top talent leaves for better positions elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate the corporate strategy in more detail, more often to employees. Be honest and forthright about challenges.

Worked for PennWest? Contribute to the Community!