Penna
www.penna.com London, United Kingdom 150 to 499 Employees

Penna Reviews

Updated Jun 3, 2014
Penna – UK – “Flagship office”

Penna Chief Executive Gary Browning

Gary Browning

Coach

Coach (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsGreat place to work, learn most of other coaches

ConsHourly rate decreased, with no chance of it increasing again

Great company, great environment!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReally good ethos here, everyone very friendly and welcoming!
    Free bar Fridays!

ConsNo cons of the company itself, only ones associated with being in recruitment such as long hours!

Highly rewarding and highly challenging company to work for

London, England (UK)

ProsThe jewel in the crown at Penna are the people. Lots of genuinely talented and driven individuals that are given opportunity to make an impact and develop the business. Leadership is open and encouraging but needs to be stronger and more together on some issues. Definitely an opportunity for the business to leverage its end to end HR expertise, but this is currently not optimum.

ConsLong hours required and there isn't really a script. It's a small Plc, and as such there is a very strong focus on numbers (no bad thing, but it limits reward). Work needs to be done in either REALLY aligning the three separate businesses into "one Penna" or separate them out entirely. There are three very different cultures across the three business units.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

In need of a change

ProsGreat talent within the business that should get utilised fully

ConsFor a business who delivers Change to organisations, they really need to change themselves. Clique mentality in the business and too many people there a long time with no drive and ambition

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and change

Very reputable brand but senior leadership lacking

ProsCEO inspires his people, company values are lived as closely as I have witnessed in most organisations by most people (but sadly only amongst the middle tiers of the org) - Great people and some great minds.

ConsPoliticking far to apparent amongst so called senior leaders in career services or what was the old HR Consulting Business.
    Lack of genuine "talent" at the senior table, consistent blocking rather than enabling and back covering.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is literally zero evidence of genuine development of people at the most basic of levels hence the decline in Best People awards.
    Certain "senior" members of the organisation have no breadth or depth of experience outside of Penna. A new broom needs to freshen up the organisation and remove the blockers of talent in order to release the full potential of the organisation and its people.

Inspiring place to work

Administrative (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsPenna has a great brand and does great work - it's a company that helps people, so it naturally attracts people who want to help people. It's a very nice and friendly environment, though each office definitely has its own characteristics and personality. Managers are generally quite respected and liked, and people here always talk about loving the teams they work in. Also it's nice to work for a company that wins awards (Times Top 100 Companies, RADs, etc.). Compared to some other city companies, Penna is a really nice place to work with professional and friendly employees that like to have fun but also care about the work they do.

ConsBeing a public company it means there is less money around for bonuses and staff rewards, which is a shame. Also as it's a small company (around 400 employees) there aren't a lot of clear opportunities for career growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementForm the organisation around what is right for the business, not what is right for the person.

The people make the place

Client Partner (Current Employee)

ProsThe people
    The opportunities around the business
    Great leadership team and management who are approachable, personable and most importantly visible in the buisiness.
    Ideas are encouraged and your voice is heard.

ConsPenna is split into two distinct businesses and whilst collaboration has improved there is a long way to go.
    Systems and processes aren't right, but this is known and being worked on.
    Still some historic people in the business who aren't helping people move on from necessary change.

Great Company-fantastic knowledge base

Client Partner (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsIt's exhilarating to be working with so many experts in various fields of recruitment.
    Very diverse with plenty of room to be creative and express yourself.
    Seem to encourage internal movement, giving staff a real overview of the company and recruitment as a whole.

ConsNothing serious so far, however, due to the disparate nature of the organisation cliques can form and the communication between arms could be improved

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work and we are all behind you!

Penna is an inspiring place to work

Talent Sourcer (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsWith Penna’s unique service offering and position in the market you really feel the difference we make as a business. I’ve worked with a number of large companies and I’ve never seen the same level on invested interested in the employees as I have within this business.

The management team are always looking for ways to improve employee development and making sure everyone is supported. We have structured development plans with 6 month reviews, which include points of future development.

Due to the diverse array of services Penna offers there are also chances for us to move internally into new roles.

It’s also great to be a part of a business that is working towards Clear Assured, who work towards helping people with disabilities have an equal opportunity within the work place.

ConsWe are a small orginisation, althoughwe would like to offer everyone career progression we are limted in what we can offer. You can only have so many managers in a business.

A great company to work for.

ProsVery supportive management and approachable employees. Charismatic Leadership. Great client portfolio and wide diversity of services offered.

ConsPay and opportunities for personal development could be improved.

Worked for Penna? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Penna reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Penna CEO Gary Browning. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Penna employees.