Penna

3.8

Penna Chief Executive Gary Browning
Gary Browning

Coach

Current Employee - Coach in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Coach in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Penna as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work, learn most of other coaches

Cons

Hourly rate decreased, with no chance of it increasing again

Great company, great environment!

I worked at Penna as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Really good ethos here, everyone very friendly and welcoming!
    Free bar Fridays!

Cons

No cons of the company itself, only ones associated with being in recruitment such as long hours!

Highly rewarding and highly challenging company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Penna full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The jewel in the crown at Penna are the people. Lots of genuinely talented and driven individuals that are given opportunity to make an impact and develop the business. Leadership is open and encouraging but needs to be stronger and more together on some issues. Definitely an opportunity for the business to leverage its end to end HR expertise, but this is currently not optimum.

Cons

Long hours required and there isn't really a script. It's a small Plc, and as such there is a very strong focus on numbers (no bad thing, but it limits reward). Work needs to be done in either REALLY aligning the three separate businesses into "one Penna" or separate them out entirely. There are three very different cultures across the three business units.

In need of a change

I have been working at Penna full-time

Pros

Great talent within the business that should get utilised fully

Cons

For a business who delivers Change to organisations, they really need to change themselves. Clique mentality in the business and too many people there a long time with no drive and ambition

Listen to your employees and change

Very reputable brand but senior leadership lacking

I have been working at Penna full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

CEO inspires his people, company values are lived as closely as I have witnessed in most organisations by most people (but sadly only amongst the middle tiers of the org) - Great people and some great minds.

Cons

Politicking far to apparent amongst so called senior leaders in career services or what was the old HR Consulting Business.
    Lack of genuine "talent" at the senior table, consistent blocking rather than enabling and back covering.

There is literally zero evidence of genuine development of people at the most basic of levels hence the decline in Best People awards.
    Certain "senior" members of the organisation have no breadth or depth of experience outside of Penna. A new broom needs to freshen up the organisation and remove the blockers of talent in order to release the full potential of the organisation and its people.

Inspiring place to work

Current Employee - Administrative in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Administrative in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Penna full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Penna has a great brand and does great work - it's a company that helps people, so it naturally attracts people who want to help people. It's a very nice and friendly environment, though each office definitely has its own characteristics and personality. Managers are generally quite respected and liked, and people here always talk about loving the teams they work in. Also it's nice to work for a company that wins awards (Times Top 100 Companies, RADs, etc.). Compared to some other city companies, Penna is a really nice place to work with professional and friendly employees that like to have fun but also care about the work they do.

Cons

Being a public company it means there is less money around for bonuses and staff rewards, which is a shame. Also as it's a small company (around 400 employees) there aren't a lot of clear opportunities for career growth.

Form the organisation around what is right for the business, not what is right for the person.

The people make the place

Current Employee - Client Partner in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Penna full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people
    The opportunities around the business
    Great leadership team and management who are approachable, personable and most importantly visible in the buisiness.
    Ideas are encouraged and your voice is heard.

Cons

Penna is split into two distinct businesses and whilst collaboration has improved there is a long way to go.
    Systems and processes aren't right, but this is known and being worked on.
    Still some historic people in the business who aren't helping people move on from necessary change.

Great Company-fantastic knowledge base

Current Employee - Client Partner in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Penna full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's exhilarating to be working with so many experts in various fields of recruitment.
    Very diverse with plenty of room to be creative and express yourself.
    Seem to encourage internal movement, giving staff a real overview of the company and recruitment as a whole.

Cons

Nothing serious so far, however, due to the disparate nature of the organisation cliques can form and the communication between arms could be improved

keep up the good work and we are all behind you!

Penna is an inspiring place to work

Current Employee - Talent Sourcer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Talent Sourcer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Penna full-time (more than an year)

Pros

With Penna’s unique service offering and position in the market you really feel the difference we make as a business. I’ve worked with a number of large companies and I’ve never seen the same level on invested interested in the employees as I have within this business.

The management team are always looking for ways to improve employee development and making sure everyone is supported. We have structured development plans with 6 month reviews, which include points of future development.

Due to the diverse array of services Penna offers there are also chances for us to move internally into new roles.

It’s also great to be a part of a business that is working towards Clear Assured, who work towards helping people with disabilities have an equal opportunity within the work place.

Cons

We are a small orginisation, althoughwe would like to offer everyone career progression we are limted in what we can offer. You can only have so many managers in a business.

A great company to work for.

I have been working at Penna as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very supportive management and approachable employees. Charismatic Leadership. Great client portfolio and wide diversity of services offered.

Cons

Pay and opportunities for personal development could be improved.

Penna Photos