Pennsylvania Department of Transportation

Updated April 18, 2015
24 reviews filtered by
3.6
Allen D. Biehler

1. I enjoyed the internship position at Penndot.

Former Employee - Surveyor in Indiana, PA
    Former Employee - Surveyor in Indiana, PA

I worked at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation

Pros

Nice hours, good pay for an internship, helpful staff and the work didn't get too boring

Cons

Routine, long meetings on Fridays, set hours so there was no chance of overtime

Advice to Management

Training could be planned better

2. Government Services Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation as an intern

Pros

PennDOT is generous with pay for interns and provides easy, mindless work for summer temps.

Cons

The employees are lazy and difficult to work with. Some of the work is very labor intensive. Management makes no sense. The people there are filth.

Advice to Management

There's really nothing you can do but trim the fat and fire all of the workers who are lazy.

3. I enjoyed working for PennDOT because of the free-flowing work day, the work was interesting, and each day was different

Former Employee - STAMPP Member in Indiana, PA
    Former Employee - STAMPP Member in Indiana, PA

I worked at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked under limited supervision, pay was adequate, set hours

Cons

No overtime, no GPS provided for locations

Advice to Management

More in-depth training, I feel like I was rushed through and didn't comprehend everything in the short time.

5. Fairly relaxed and easy place to work at, but has lousy training and development

Current Employee - Budget Analyst in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Budget Analyst in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work in a fairly small bureau. The other employees in my bureau are pretty friendly and easy to get along with; the attitude is generally very casual. I know that things are different elsewhere, but we're very relaxed about taking leave, occasional ad hoc adjustments to schedules and occasional lateness, which seems to even warrant attention. There is a pleasant modicum of community and esprit de corps. The managers are accessible, knowledgeable and competent. Despite there formally being a hierarchy and distinct sections, it's fairly flat in practice and there's plenty of interplay among sections. It's a pretty easy, comfortable place to work at.

Cons

The staff are rather, shall we say, monochromatic. (Even in government, certain things are a white man's game) The training is rather poor. Senior staff seem short on time and commitment to training new staff or providing direction and the formal training is mostly a tedious, worthless bore at the really awful Riverfront Office Complex. Little of important processes and information is written down, which makes it harder to learn. The volume of work is unsteady: sometimes there's plenty to do, but often it's just doldrums. EPRs (employee performance reviews) are a lame joke. The SAP system that you do much of your work with is not very friendly.

Advice to Management

Encourage managers to take training and developing new employees. more seriously. Initiate an effort to develop thorough documentation to better allow autonomous learning.

6. Great

I worked at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation

Pros

Lots of help and training to get the job done in an appropriate time line.great co workers too. Always willing to help.

Cons

Hard work. Long days. Negative comments toward manager. Very inefficient in completing projects. Could run a lot smoother and more efficient.

7. Very good for the first to years of working, the last five years have been horrible.

Current Employee - Civil Engineer Transportation in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer Transportation in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation

Pros

Good benefits and retirement package, decent pay, great culture if you work on highway projects; plenty of training that you will attend. Great time off, most of the co-workers are good people.

Cons

Office culture was very bureaucratic "good old boys",especially if you work in the district offices, no job growth particular, if you are black, sure you have a job but, you won't get into upper management (you'll always be a "worker bee"), lots of favoritism. Department is behind "the 8 ball" when it comes to presenting new technologies such as "PPCC SharePoint. To much micro-management

Advice to Management

Learn to care about the employees that are doing the work. Have more incentives to promote persons who are performing and terminate the employees who aren't performing instead of promoting them. Management needs to learn how to trust their people instead of micro-managing them. Lastly, managers are needed who have a business mind, not engineers. Also, the job descriptions need to be standard, to often, management is allowed to change the job description for the person they have chosen for a position; the interview process is only a disguise used to cover up their unfair hiring process.

8. I had a great experience as an intern at PennDOT. I learned a lot from my supervisor and other employees.

Former Intern - Esti in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Intern - Esti in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a great experience to work with other Civil Engineers when I was only going into my Sophomore year. I learned a lot that I could also apply to the classroom.

Cons

Salaries aren't great, but for an internship atleast it was paid. I know that it is hard to get promotions and raises when there are other people with more seniority.

9. Very decent work environment for first professional experience!

Current Employee - Civil Engineer Bridges in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer Bridges in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice working stress-free environment, doing a lot of work in different areas, opportunity to learn more about transportation industry and gain experience. Most of positions are union, and working hours are very convenient, so there is enough time to actually have life.

Cons

Employee does not have almost any freedom of making decision, every decision has to go for review to a head of the unit. Cannot get rid of people who don't deserve to be in such a work place because union stands for them.

10. Want to be treated like nothing? I got a Job for you

I have been working at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefit Package but cost & quality decrease each contract, Good retirement plan but after this contract new employees won't see it.

Cons

Middle Management/Supervisors not held accountable by upper management for poor decisions making & treatment of staff, due to the hands off approach they exhibit knowing Harrisburg HQ will always back them.

Advice to Management

Better Training for Supervisors and accountability for all DOT employees not just working staff

11. Slow-Paced work, with lots of Red Tape. Easy pay check.

Current Employee - Information Technology Generalist I in Muncy, PA
    Current Employee - Information Technology Generalist I in Muncy, PA

Pros

State position with good benefits, pension, and work environment. 7.5 hour days. Optional overtime. Laid back work environment. Good pay for non-technical jobs.

Cons

A lot of red tape on the business side. Spend a lot of time waiting for approvals. Lower than market pay for higher skilled jobs. Limited career opportunities depending on your field. Equipment and software are often very out of date.

Advice to Management

Too much red tape.