Pennsylvania Department of Transportation

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Allen D. Biehler

When you need some experience

Engineering, Scientific, and Technical (Former Employee)

Pros-PennDOT is willing and able to get you involved with projects that are relevant to engineering.
    -People are nice to work with
    -Great stability
    -Work is not hard to do

Cons-Mind your own business around the office and be careful of what you say.
    -Some people are slackers and go through the motions

Want to be treated like nothing? I got a Job for you

ProsBenefit Package but cost & quality decrease each contract, Good retirement plan but after this contract new employees won't see it.

ConsMiddle Management/Supervisors not held accountable by upper management for poor decisions making & treatment of staff, due to the hands off approach they exhibit knowing Harrisburg HQ will always back them.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter Training for Supervisors and accountability for all DOT employees not just working staff

Slow-Paced work, with lots of Red Tape. Easy pay check.

Information Technology Generalist I (Current Employee) Muncy, PA

ProsState position with good benefits, pension, and work environment. 7.5 hour days. Optional overtime. Laid back work environment. Good pay for non-technical jobs.

ConsA lot of red tape on the business side. Spend a lot of time waiting for approvals. Lower than market pay for higher skilled jobs. Limited career opportunities depending on your field. Equipment and software are often very out of date.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much red tape.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great job for someone that doesn't like doing anything.

ProsGood pay for very little work.

ConsExtremely boring. Nothing to do.

Great hands-on experience

Engineering, Scientific, and Technical (Former Employee) Harrisburg, PA

ProsShort/flexible hours and no pressure to remain "billable" as one would in the private industry

ConsSome general labor work that was not related to my education. However, this is sometimes expected for an internship

Nice people, salaries somewhat low

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNote: I worked at a district engineering office, not the DMV. So most of the people are engineers, construction managers and support staff. Most people in the professional positions work very hard and take their jobs seriously. Overall, employees are warm and friendly to each other. And it being a government agency, you don't normally take work home, and you get a lot of holidays off.

ConsBasically the pay isn't up to par with what you can make elsewhere. Many PennDOT jobs are neither civil service nor union, so there is no guarantee of getting raises or cost-of-living increases. Ever since the recession, there has been a pay freeze for people in this group. In some cases, managers ended up making less than their subordinates.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany of the talented engineers and other highly educated professionals end up leaving because they can make more money somewhere else. Granted, state budgets are constrained but it would be nice if they could figure out some way to attract and keep the best people.

Ok intern experience, but would not work there.

Esti (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, good job security.

ConsDull work atmosphere, bureaucracy and inefficiency everywhere.

Good starting place

Civil Engineer Transportation (Current Employee) Bridgeville, PA

ProsWork life balance, decent pay and benefits, mostly easy going management, pension plan, health, dental, vision, tuition reimbursement, field work

ConsSometimes hard to work as a female in the office when there are so few, bureaucracy, not always enough work

Okay

Engineering, Scientific, and Technical Intern (Current Employee) Oil City, PA

ProsMy supervisors were very nice, and very accommodating. I was never intimidated out of asking questions, and when I did ask questions they were joyed to answer.

ConsI was told by many employees to beware, PennDot has a way of sucking you in, and then suddenly 5 years later you're still there in the same position doing the same thing. After interning with them for three summers, I understood what they meant. My peers interning at other companies seemed to be advancing in their responsibilities through the years. I was stuck doing the same thing.

Very low pay in comparison to other opportunities. Then again, I guess I did get paid for what I did----not very much.

great job perfect for people needing a small part time job

Janitor (Current Employee) Eighty Four, PA

Proseasy work decent pay great hours more contracts to come flexible pay based on if other employees show up or not

ConsNONE I LOVE IT, not a direct penndot job im a janitor through pba

Advice to Senior Managementpromotion, and raises

Worked for Pennsylvania Department of Transportation? Contribute to the Community!