Pennsylvania Department of Transportation

Updated November 28, 2014
Updated November 28, 2014
3.6

Allen D. Biehler

I had a great experience as an intern at PennDOT. I learned a lot from my supervisor and other employees.

Former Employee - Esti in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Esti in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a great experience to work with other Civil Engineers when I was only going into my Sophomore year. I learned a lot that I could also apply to the classroom.

Cons

Salaries aren't great, but for an internship atleast it was paid. I know that it is hard to get promotions and raises when there are other people with more seniority.

Very decent work environment for first professional experience!

Current Employee - Civil Engineer Bridges in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer Bridges in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice working stress-free environment, doing a lot of work in different areas, opportunity to learn more about transportation industry and gain experience. Most of positions are union, and working hours are very convenient, so there is enough time to actually have life.

Cons

Employee does not have almost any freedom of making decision, every decision has to go for review to a head of the unit. Cannot get rid of people who don't deserve to be in such a work place because union stands for them.

Want to be treated like nothing? I got a Job for you

I have been working at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefit Package but cost & quality decrease each contract, Good retirement plan but after this contract new employees won't see it.

Cons

Middle Management/Supervisors not held accountable by upper management for poor decisions making & treatment of staff, due to the hands off approach they exhibit knowing Harrisburg HQ will always back them.

Better Training for Supervisors and accountability for all DOT employees not just working staff

Slow-Paced work, with lots of Red Tape. Easy pay check.

Current Employee - Information Technology Generalist I in Muncy, PA
    Current Employee - Information Technology Generalist I in Muncy, PA

Pros

State position with good benefits, pension, and work environment. 7.5 hour days. Optional overtime. Laid back work environment. Good pay for non-technical jobs.

Cons

A lot of red tape on the business side. Spend a lot of time waiting for approvals. Lower than market pay for higher skilled jobs. Limited career opportunities depending on your field. Equipment and software are often very out of date.

Too much red tape.

Great job for someone that doesn't like doing anything.

I have been working at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation

Pros

Good pay for very little work.

Cons

Extremely boring. Nothing to do.

When you need some experience

Former Employee - Engineering, Scientific, and Technical
    Former Employee - Engineering, Scientific, and Technical

I worked at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-PennDOT is willing and able to get you involved with projects that are relevant to engineering.
    -People are nice to work with
    -Great stability
    -Work is not hard to do

Cons

-Mind your own business around the office and be careful of what you say.
    -Some people are slackers and go through the motions

Great hands-on experience

Former Employee - Engineering, Scientific, and Technical in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Engineering, Scientific, and Technical in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

Short/flexible hours and no pressure to remain "billable" as one would in the private industry

Cons

Some general labor work that was not related to my education. However, this is sometimes expected for an internship

Nice people, salaries somewhat low

I worked at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Note: I worked at a district engineering office, not the DMV. So most of the people are engineers, construction managers and support staff. Most people in the professional positions work very hard and take their jobs seriously. Overall, employees are warm and friendly to each other. And it being a government agency, you don't normally take work home, and you get a lot of holidays off.

Cons

Basically the pay isn't up to par with what you can make elsewhere. Many PennDOT jobs are neither civil service nor union, so there is no guarantee of getting raises or cost-of-living increases. Ever since the recession, there has been a pay freeze for people in this group. In some cases, managers ended up making less than their subordinates.

Many of the talented engineers and other highly educated professionals end up leaving because they can make more money somewhere else. Granted, state budgets are constrained but it would be nice if they could figure out some way to attract and keep the best people.

Ok intern experience, but would not work there.

Former Employee - Esti
    Former Employee - Esti

Pros

Good benefits, good job security.

Cons

Dull work atmosphere, bureaucracy and inefficiency everywhere.

Good starting place

Current Employee - Civil Engineer Transportation in Bridgeville, PA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer Transportation in Bridgeville, PA

I have been working at Pennsylvania Department of Transportation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance, decent pay and benefits, mostly easy going management, pension plan, health, dental, vision, tuition reimbursement, field work

Cons

Sometimes hard to work as a female in the office when there are so few, bureaucracy, not always enough work