Pennsylvania Hospital

Pennsylvania Hospital Reviews

Updated Apr 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pennsylvania Hospital Executive Director, Pennsylvania Hospital R. Michael Buckley

R. Michael Buckley

Very rewarding

I have been working at Pennsylvania Hospital

ProsFriendly enviroment to work in

ConsTraining. For all levels of employees

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible

Great pay, great experience

Patient Care Tech (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Pennsylvania Hospital part-time for more than a year

Prospay, benefits, friendly and helpful staff

ConsNone, very satisfied with environment

Challenging at times

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pennsylvania Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent tuition reimbursement, co-workers keep me coming back every day. Wonderful pay! The benefits of working for a hospital linked to a big academic institution cannot be overstated. You truly feel like a team and there is solid communication across different disciplines.

ConsUtterly out of touch management team. People in suits wearing a badge that says "RN" are no longer RN's! If you don't wipe butt, you're not an RN. Middle management and off-shift administrators have toxic attitudes towards staff asking for assistance. Lip service is paid to the idea of including bedside care RN's in policy decisions but they are never listened to. The currently re-structured Shared Governance Council is not functioning as anything other than a voice box for upper administrative decisions. The administration keeps repeatedly opening and closing units without providing higher staffing levels to support the patient census. No follow through on performance improvement projects combined with a schizophrenic like tendency to jump from one new initiative to the next.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe research is out there proving that better staffing leads to better patient outcomes. Prove your commitment to evidence based practice. Listen to what your RN's are telling you. The insular nature of the administrative team that is surrounding the CNO is becoming toxic to the functioning of the hospital. Too much focus is being given to the color of uniforms (ie-socks) and too little to fixing hospital-wide functionality errors that actually need fixing.

I have nothing else to compare to, but I didn't exactly feel a valued employee.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pennsylvania Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Prosbig city hospital setting was interesting

Consnot recognized for the work done

lack of commitment to people values

Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pennsylvania Hospital full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThis institution is rich with history and dedicated workers.

ConsThe new executive team treats employees like widgets in a machine. There is a total lack of respect and loyalty to those who dedicated most of their careers to making Pennsylvania Hospital a fine institution. Especially in nursing, there is no ability to respectfully state your opinion. If one does so, they will be punished or terminated.
 The CEO is cold, aloof and uninterested in anything but cutting costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementLive your values

No loyalty or support to employees

Staff RN (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pennsylvania Hospital full-time for more than 10 years

Prosfriendly work environment, small community hospital feel, genuine commitment to excellence

Consnew management has dumped employee morale, constantly threatened with termination or discipline. Nobody feels safe, always looking over your shoulder.

Advice to Senior Managementbetter communication w/ employees, more visibility, and create an atmosphere of support instead of intimidation

Offers excellent benefits. Mostly supported by middle management. Needs improvement with fairness of hiring practices.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pennsylvania Hospital

ProsHealth and tuition benefits are very good. Small community feeling among staff through out the institution. Immediate managers are more approachable. Many support services are understaffed and their concerns sometimes go unrecognized.

ConsUpper management is aloof unapproachable. I find that it's who you know more than what you know with hiring practices. Human Resources supports management and there are some concerns as to fairness when being outspoken.

Advice to Senior ManagementDr. Buckley is a long time physician of Pennsylvania Hospital and I believe has the company's best interest at heart but at the end of the day he might be somewhat out of touch with the culture of the hospital and its management staff.

Good place for the long haul

Manager (Current Employee)
Phila, PA

I have been working at Pennsylvania Hospital

ProsFamily envt, stable, treats employees well

ConsLittle prospect for advancement; low salaries

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the family environment---don't try to compete with more corporate hospitals.

Worked for Pennsylvania Hospital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pennsylvania Hospital reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pennsylvania Hospital CEO R. Michael Buckley. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Pennsylvania Hospital employees.