Pension Benefit Guaranty Reviews

2.8
Josh Gotbaum

1. Government agency

I have been working at Pension Benefit Guaranty

Pros

Flexible schedule Manage your own time and pace

Cons

Growth is limited Seniority is key

Advice to Management

Creation of a mentorship program to grow within.

2. Slavery in Washington, d.c.

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Washington, DC

I worked at Pension Benefit Guaranty

Pros

As I stated, there were no good pros. The only good pros were the salary, but the other agencies received the same pros as PBGC. The pro was the increase in wage every year.

Cons

This federal agency is like a bad, real bad soap opera. The individuals in positions of leadership run this agency like they are slave masters. I have evidence to support my comments and audio tapes of the erroneous, back stabbing way that the controller ran his employees like farm animals.

Advice to Management

The advice from many that are still at PBGC is to fire him. He is a Controller out of control.

Financial Analyst

I have been working at Pension Benefit Guaranty

Pros

It is a good place for people who want a good life/work balance. Also, good working hours and ability to telework but only 1 day a week 9not bad).

Cons

It is very difficult to get recognize and get promotion. Too much politics in deciding who gets promotion. In same cases.

5. In need of serious help

Current Employee - Contractor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Contractor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pension Benefit Guaranty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- A place for older people and people with the very minimum of skills to work during the day.

Cons

PBGC is in need of an ethical review. The management there are some of the least qualified and most unethical individuals I've ever worked with. The agency is filled with nepotism, favoritism, micro-management, unethical treatment of both Federal and contractor employees as well as flat out harassment. People in power often hire friends who are completely unqualified for these positions. And they waste so many resources and money hiring contractors to do work that never gets reviewed. Easily the worst place I've ever worked in my life.

Advice to Management

Complete re-organization of OIT management structure. Place those in power who have proven themselves year after year after year. Do not put people who have achieved their status through relationships and favoritism. Monitor filed HR grievances as there are tons of them that need to be reviewed and addressed. If you do not address all of the unethical and EEO violations occurring at this place, it's going to be a big story like the last one PBGC had to endure. Treat contractors with some respect because the good ones have ties with a lot the good, ethical people who are federals and bad news travels fast. Anyone with a consistently bad annual performance review should be re-assigned. Otherwise the same problems will persist.

Government Corporation that's run for the benefit of Executive Managers of the Corporation and Their Minions

Former Employee - Auditor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Auditor in Washington, DC

I worked at Pension Benefit Guaranty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None that I can identify

Cons

Career dead-end for anyone who actually pursues excellence.

Advice to Management

Manage the corporation for the benefit of pensioners and their beneficiaries, not to make sure that you and your cronies are ensured employment until you can retire on your government pension. Hiring Chris Bone is a good thing. Now start to focus on what's important, the payments you make to pensioners and their beneficiaries. Start to make sure that you're paying who you should pay, what you should be paying them.

Terrible experience

I worked at Pension Benefit Guaranty part-time

Pros

Great Gym facility. Great location next to metro

Cons

Leadership is petty. lack of outside exerience

A good place to work

Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pension Benefit Guaranty full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

We have a fairly collegial atmosphere in my department. Everyone seems willing to help each other out.

Cons

Other departments can sometimes interfere with the work you are trying to do. They either have conflicting interests or squabble for purely political reasons.

Odd and stifling experience

Current Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pension Benefit Guaranty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good work/life balance, good benefits

Cons

Too narrowly focused (Title IV of ERISA only), overly political/petty senior leadership, management views professional growth or change as disloyalty, inordinate number of awkward/oddball employees

One of the better federal agencies to work for.

Current Employee - Auditor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Auditor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pension Benefit Guaranty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When it comes to federal agencies, it is one of the better agencies. It's not huge, and there are a lot of workers here who are very knowledgeable about the work and care about their work and helping people get their pensions. Good work/life balance, of course, and good culture.

Cons

It's a federal agency-- can't escape all the issues typical of federal agencies. If you're an accounting major, be careful about the "audit" job you get into. A lot of the jobs, despite being labeled as audit, deal with compliance and not financial or internal control. If you want more translatable and universal audit skills and diverse experience, not the place you want to start your career. Because the work is so specialized and most employees have been here their whole career with no exposure to other industries/ procedures, it is not the place to find growth/ development. If you just want a job to show up to or need a temporary job with good benefits and stable hours while you study toward another degree/ certification before jumping to better things, then consider this agency/ federal in general. If you have ambition and want experience that will make your resume marketable, I'd reconsider if you want a career in audit/accounting.

Great experience

I worked at Pension Benefit Guaranty

Pros

Love the corporate culture at PBGC

Cons

Can tend to get stagnant

RSS Feed </> Embed