www.penske.com

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014

Penske Chairman and CEO Roger S. Penske
Roger S. Penske

Pros
  • Decent pay for an entry level position (in 4 reviews)

• It is a fast paced business and some are not able to keep up (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management overly concerned with non value added Dubious Risk Management statistics (in 7 reviews)

• Senior management team and most of officers in company are better suited serving coffee or donuts (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Material Coordinator

Former Employee - Material Coordinator
    Former Employee - Material Coordinator

I worked at Penske full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast-paced environment. Good introduction to supply chain planning. Good amount of responsibility for an entry-level position. Opportunity to communicate with both office personnel and plant level personnel. Opportunity to improve communication skills.

Cons

Stressful day-to-day work. Overwhelming amount of workload added soon after learning the basics of the job.

More in-person reviews directly between managers and employees. More feedback on job performance, both negative and positive to improve skills for young employees.

tech

I have been working at Penske full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good benefit package , includes dental and eye care. retirement , 401k generous vacation schedule. they also offer training reimbursement. professional work environment

Cons

no cons worth mentioning at this time

Review

Current Employee - Sales Associate in South Plainfield, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in South Plainfield, NJ

I have been working at Penske part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Pay and good people

Cons

long hours and decent pay

Listen, time-off policies

Horrible

Former Employee - Material Coordinator in Sharonville, OH
    Former Employee - Material Coordinator in Sharonville, OH

I worked at Penske

Pros

None. There was a constant blame game going on. This is a Mickey Mouse club of professionals throughout the entire organization.

Cons

Ambiguity, no communication, unrealistic expectations, no training, no camaraderie, large work load with stress full consequences.

Get a clue. Do the right thing for your employee's. Stick up for them. Provide them with a sense of purpose, motivation, and direction. Just because Penske is often subcontracted and wants the customer to always be right, does not mean it is ok to throw employees under the bus.

long hard hours

Former Employee - Driver in Waukegan, IL
    Former Employee - Driver in Waukegan, IL

I worked at Penske full-time (less than an year)

Pros

not to much to say

Cons

schedule like a ping pong ball 6pm start work 12-14 hours then next start at 1am work 12-14 hrs then start at 10 pm
    and on we go barely within the dot guidelines but imposible to get good rest

treat people like they matter and you freight is not the most important thing in the world and do your job don't put it off on hr or pass the buck to other managers who are not responsible for your people

Indifferent

Current Employee - Truck Driver - Yard Switcher/Yard Jockey in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver - Yard Switcher/Yard Jockey in Stockton, CA

I have been working at Penske full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The two things I like about my position as a "Truck Driver - Yard Switcher/Yard Jockey" is the schedule which is 3 on/4 off and 4 on/3 off rotation, working 12 hour shifts. Then the pay, for my position, I am without a doubt one of the highest paid hostlers in my area, especially when going rates are much, much lower.

Cons

There is a lack of communication as well as organization on the account I work. Training is non-existent, there's allot to how the yard functions and a process in how things are done. To a new guy this is daunting and can be a difficult position to grasp if not properly trained.

The yard needs to be organized. I suggest having designated areas for trailers e.g. 53' trailers go in one location and 48' trailer to another. Doing this will make it easier to locate trailers needed for specific orders.

Train hostlers on how the yard functions and how moves are issued. Establish communication and possibly have the warehouse call out moves instead of leaving the hostler to second guess, or worse having to pull a trailer with a green light to only find out it's empty. A good idea would be to install on-board computers for receiving moves. For instance 53' Reefer to door 35 or Door 35 to yard, it would be so much easier this way and efficient.

IT Manager

Current Employee - IT Manager in Beachwood, OH
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Beachwood, OH

I have been working at Penske full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Long tenure for most people, allows to build long term relationships and grow with the changing fabric of the market. Allows IT to gain deep insight into the growing challenges of the ever competitive logistics marketplace.

Cons

As everyone is wearing multiple hats it is both a challenge and benefit. At one end it allows associates to learn a lot, but sometimes makes high demand on some people.ee

Some advice to management is to build stronger IT goals that can help the company deliver better products and services and challenge the results oriented people with a sense of achievement. Today company goals are strictly finance driven.

I worked at Penske

Pros

Large Company, lots of opportunities

Cons

none at this time, good company

none

really bad

Former Employee - Ops Sup in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Ops Sup in Houston, TX

I worked at Penske full-time (less than an year)

Pros

none...it was a hell hole for sure

Cons

working night sux....they lie told me that I would get days very soon...my partner was a kid and was always in my business....

they tell you one thing and do another...the manager was clueless and never there....I bet in a 6 months time I only talked to him face to face two or three times....it the whole place was a joke...I left running for my life!

poor management

Former Employee - Packer in Easton, PA
    Former Employee - Packer in Easton, PA

I worked at Penske full-time (less than an year)

Pros

pay not bad, like the people I worked with.

Cons

poor management, used people, never used technology to solve issues just fired workers

hire real manager that understand your business. cultivate your work force