Penske Truck Leasing

Be The First To
Add Photos

Penske Truck Leasing President Brian Hard

Brian Hard

Pros
  • The company has a good work-life balance for an accounting field(in 5 reviews)

• Good Benefits for entry level posiition(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It also became clear as you move up in the company (even when starting out) your work/life balance suffers greatly(in 4 reviews)

• politics, no defined or directed culture, upper management somewhat disconnected(in 6 reviews)

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

O.T.R. Coordinator

OTR Coordinator (Former Employee) Reading, PA

Prosgood pay and benefits, stable company

Consyou are constantly monitored, all phone calls recorded and critiqued. the company allows the customers to curse, threaten and abuse the operators and if the operator hangs up or objects to foul language, he is reprimanded. also, no intercompany cooperation with the SOS department. SOS is the whipping boy of penske. middle managers play favorites to the extreme.

Advice to Senior Managementtry listening to the operators on the floor and treating them like people instead of numbers. abolish the "point"system as it is virtually non-existant throughout the rest of the company. give the employee a right of appeal with an impartial board before firing them.

I spent two summers working as a Seasonal Rental Representative in Penske's Central Reservations call center.

Seasonal Rental Representative (Former Employee) Reading, PA

ProsThe training was intensive and hands-on so when you hit the floor, you were ready to go. It focused on creating the best possible customer experience and taught a lot of skills that translate well into other industries. For a seasonal position, the pay was decent and you were also eligible for commission.

ConsThe workplace was extremely competitive because of the commission structure. People would go to all ends to book a reservation, including using shady tactics and going around the system. There's not a ton of value placed on the employees, you just feel like one person lost in a big cattle call.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about and actually talk to the people out on the floor; treat them like individuals instead of a means to an end. Maybe then there would be less turnover (especially with the seasonal hires).

Overall a good company

Accountant (Current Employee) Reading, PA

ProsThe company has a good work-life balance for an accounting field. Most coworkers are very nice and friendly. There are some nice bonus perks that the company offers, such as discounts with other companies.

ConsThe technology systems the company uses are very outdated and cumbersome. Most departments are understaffed. If technology were updated, understaffing would no longer be an issue. Entering information into the systems is time consuming and manual when everything should be automated.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is good but needs to accept technology changes. It is impractical for a company this size to not be on an advanced system. The manual aspect to an accounting job should not exist in the way it does.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer Service Associate

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Reading, PA

ProsLoved the job, but it got frustrating

ConsTold I could make my own decisions, but then told by managers they did not like what I decided .

Advice to Senior ManagementGive my direct instructions to employees. Set limits on what they can and cannot do.

Old Boy Network- Lack of Diversity

Human Resources (Former Employee) Reading, PA

ProsSome engaging managers throughout the company who care about employees

ConsSerious lack of diversity (by age, gender, race, cultural background, religion, sexual orientation, etc).

Advice to Senior ManagementStart hiring different types of people with new perspectives. Obliterate the old boy network.

not conducive to a healthy work environment

Ant (Former Employee) Reading, PA

Proswork with some very good people, lots of work, job security, unless the work can be outsourced

ConsManagement is dismissive of health complaints associated with the building interior environment, refuses to acknowledge a problem despite multiple complaints from various individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementReact more expeditiously to employees health complaints. Either fix health concerns or advise prospective employees of the possible adverse health effects associated with employment in the building.

Job security through stagnancy

Current Manager (Current Employee) Reading, PA

ProsDecent salaries for the Berks County area, opportunities in many different departments, solid work life balance, 401k match and cash balance account, and it's nearly impossible to get fired no matter how much you underperform

ConsLack of fresh thinking, low salaries (if you're from outside Berks County), old technology, slow to make changes, poor personnel development

Advice to Senior ManagementCut back on the high 5 figure company cars for the boy's club and start paying salaries that attract new talent to the company. Trust your managers to make decisions and let them grow. Fire people who under perform as opposed to protecting them and making management spend months on action plans, or promoting them because you like to smoke with them.

Current Employee at the Corporate Office

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reading, PA

ProsIt's a job and a paycheck.

ConsLeadership needs to break out of the old management style of not trusting your employees. It's definitely an old boys club mentality. They don't care how employees are treated as long as the job is done. "open door" doesn't exist at Penske Corporate. It is such a depressing, suffocating place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some courses on leadership and really listen. This company has more Theory X managers than I have ever seen in any other company. You are a text book case for disfunctional managment.

Great experience working at Penske.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Reading, PA

ProsGreat place to work! Everyone is very welcoming and easy to work with. Commitment to strong company culture. Great exposure to senior management. Worked as an intern and was given real projects to work on during the summer. The projects were actually challenging and a great learning experience, didn't spend the summer making copies or getting coffee.

ConsThe location in Reading is far from everything.

The cons far outweigh the pros

Rental Representative (Current Employee) Reading, PA

ProsEasy to get foot in the door, camaraderie with coworkers, work days often fly by, employee discounts on truck rentals.

Cons“Resigned to and settling for mediocrity,” company staffs for slow times and settles for bad customer service during peak times, employees are under unreasonably high stress-doing work of several people (many of my coworkers had drinking problems) compensation not adequate to allow for middle class lifestyle, company success does not trickle down, even managers make laughable wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage, set standards, job descriptions, and goals for your employees, communicate, get more competitive with wages,

Worked for Penske Truck Leasing? Contribute to the Community!