Penske Truck Leasing

Updated December 16, 2014
3.5

Penske Truck Leasing President Brian Hard
Brian Hard

Pros
  • The company has a good work-life balance for an accounting field (in 5 reviews)

• Good Benefits for entry level posiition (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There is zero work life balance at entry level, you are an hourly employee and will have to work terrible hours (in 5 reviews)

• politics, no defined or directed culture, upper management somewhat disconnected (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Team atmosphere. Stressful but rewarding

Former Employee - Branch Rental Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Rental Manager

I worked at Penske Truck Leasing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stressful because logistics never stops.
    Great Team atmosphere. Opportunities to move up. Learn lean process techniques and a great place to start a career to learn the real world. I had an opportunity to go into sales and management after being a management trainee.

Cons

hours can be tough. You are dealing with people who are either broken down with their business truck or people who are stressed out moving. Much of your work is done over the phone. Stand all day as a management trainee. They hire many management trainees to fill the hourly positions but very few move up. Do work weekend hours.

None. Roger Penske knows what he is doing.

Great perks and benefits for an early career job

Current Employee - Branch Rental Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Branch Rental Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Penske Truck Leasing

Pros

Penske is terrific for the self-motivated, entrepreneurial hustler. If you perform well you will move up and you will move up quickly. I started with Penske as a part time rental rep during my final semester of college and had no plans to stay with the company at that time. Fast forward 2.5 years and I have moved up through the ranks of management trainee, assistant rental manager, and am now a branch rental manager with 11 direct reports running a $4.5million per year business and am responsible for over $5million in assets. The pay is competitive, and the bonus plan is very aggressive. If you produce results, you will get a very, very large lump sum bonus at the end of every year. The perks are also great. Once you reach a salaried position, either management or outside sales, you get a choice of company car which is ordered new for you and is replaced every 36 months or 75,000 miles. You can use your car for whatever you want on or off the clock, so you will never need to worry about buying or repairing a car again! and the car choices get better as you move up the ranks. There is a great tuition reimbursement policy to help employees continue their education, and the health/vision/dental benefits and 401k policy is well above what the average company offers at this career level. It can be a stressful job due to the nature of the transportation industry, but overall if you are going to enter this industry or are looking for a company to begin your career with for a few years to gain sales or management experience, Penske is a great place to start.

Cons

The burnout rate. The transportation industry can be very stressful and not everyone is cut out for it. There is extremely high turn over in the management trainee and assistant rental manager ranks. These positions are almost like hazing when pledging a fraternity. Every manager throws work your way and expects you to focus on helping them with their projects and there is little to no downtime during the day. It is a very effective way to get rid of anyone that will become dead weight later on in their career, but it also burns out very intelligent and hard working individuals.

Offer more performance incentives for the hourly management trainees and assistant rental managers. Every so often programs come out to reward the hard work of the hourly associates, but it is often not enough to properly reward them for the hard work that they put in on the front lines on a day to day basis.

Stable and dependable, but lackluster.

Current Employee - Logistics Clerk in Perris, CA
    Current Employee - Logistics Clerk in Perris, CA

I have been working at Penske Truck Leasing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working in the Logistics division distances yourself from direct customers, but you need to focus on your indirect customers (fellow employees) as well. I have my own office and company cellphone (iPhone 6, yay!) and can look forward to a solid 8hr day/40hr week most of the year. We do have our busy time, appx. 3 months of the year where we will work 10-12hrs a day, but only 5 days a week, never working on weekends. The benefits are pretty standard: 401k match @ 6%, medical, dental, vision and occasional pcinic or catered food on the job site. But recently, medical switched their 'main' plan from traditional to a sort of savings plan, which can have its benefits for single people who don't utilize the medical frequently. Overall, it's a good place to work.

Cons

There are no guaranteed promotions or merit raises. The work hours can be 8am-4:30pm if you're lucky like me, but most employees work a type of shift hour(s), such as 3am-11:30am for 1st shift and 12:00pm-8pm for 2nd shift. Office workers usually work the same hours as PIT operators. The location I work at has several accounts working there. An example for my account is I come in at 8am, and leave generally around 4:30-5pm, whereas my PIT operators arrive at 6am and leave around 2:30-3pm. Another account in the same facility will work 3:00am-11:30am (for 8hrs) but they're so busy that often they will work 3:00am-2:30pm (both office and PIT operators).

FYI: PIT= Powered Industrial Truck, a.k.a. Forklift with either clamp or fork attachment.

Management needs to focus more on recognizing employees and promoting those who clearly demonstrate the knowledge and experience revolving around the Logistics environment. There is also an observable degree of favoritism among management when it comes to promotions. If you make a mistake or take a step down, no matter how long ago, you are never (it seems) able to get a second chance to move up.

outstanding company

I have been working at Penske Truck Leasing full-time

Pros

the people are great
    the pay is fair for the industry
    the benefits, training, ad work-life balance are awesome
    the office is very cozy with lots of amenities

Cons

very few cons to this company. I think the company's future is bright. the management and the associates are all on the same page and are working towards continued success for PTL

management is great. they care and offer great incentives for outstanding performance.

Good company to start your career

Former Employee - Rental Representative Part Time in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Rental Representative Part Time in Seattle, WA

I worked at Penske Truck Leasing part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you work hard and are willing to move, you can move up quickly within the company. \
    Great benefits if you are a student - tuition reimbursement, tablet, medical insurance. Once I worked there for a year I get paid time off.

Cons

Low pay
    There hire quantity over quality

Tech2

I worked at Penske Truck Leasing

Pros

Good pay nice benifits good place to gain experience

Cons

still needs more better management

Great company.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Penske Truck Leasing

Pros

Great company. Very friendly people.

Cons

Have nothing to add to cons.

Penske can be a great place to work, as long as you have great managers.

I have been working at Penske Truck Leasing

Pros

Great benefits, job security, ability to move up

Cons

sometimes you have to relocate to move up, your manager can make or break your career

Tech 3

Current Employee - Diesel Technician in East Chicago, IN
    Current Employee - Diesel Technician in East Chicago, IN

I have been working at Penske Truck Leasing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work

Cons

Not enough opportunities to advance

Need to listen to ideas from employees

Horrible. I can't wait to leave.

Current Employee - Rental Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Rental Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Penske Truck Leasing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good exposure to real life business world.

Cons

There is no training and coworkers talk out of the side of their neck! Not a place you want to work for long term. Get your experience, then leave.

Needs better training.