Pentagon Federal Credit Union

Be The First To
Add Photos

Frank R. Pollack

Improving

Operations Officer (Current Employee)
    Eugene, OR

ProsCreative, learning-based atmosphere. No matter the position, ideas and feedback on products, services, and processes are welcome by management and upper management. The new CEO, James, has continued the "no layoffs" policy and introduced employee-focused programs- Wellness Breakfasts, incentives for losing weight and staying fit, and recognition of quality employees. Good healthcare packages (specifically dental and eye).

ConsAntiquated systems make it difficult to be efficient for members. Training program is sub-par for the quality of work employees are expected to do, and non-existent as you move up the chain. Information is hard to disseminate at such a large organization that works remotely from its main office. Limited career advancement at Eugene Service Center location, and lower paying wages make it difficult to bring in and retain qualified employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider placing emphasis on training, both new employee and ongoing. Continue the employee-focused culture, because that's what really keeps people in their chairs.

A decent entry level position.

Eugene, OR

ProsI was provided with the training needed to succeed in the organizations environment. Good work-life balance.

ConsPay was low. While trained to assist in most supervisory duties, I was never given a promotion.

Decent pay & benefits

Eugene, OR

Prospay & benefits were decent, opportunity to cross train and move around in the company was available, they made an effort to create games, incentives, company outings and have potlucks on a monthly basis, and most of my co-workes and the management were really nice and easy/fun to work with

Consboring, unfulfilling career, and there was too much of a focus on exceeding stats & selling, selling, selling… lacked the quality I was looking for in a company and some of the management was too young, under qualified and immature.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on quality instead of quantity in all areas of the company, inside and out.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People but Low Pay

Mortgage Processor (Current Employee)
    Omaha, NE

Pros-Work environment is relaxed
    -Dress code is very casual
    -Schedule- no weekend hours
    -Benefits
    -Annual Bonus

Cons-Lack of advancement opportunities
    -Pay
    -Getting time of request approved in a timely manner
    -Working conditions (very old desk, carpet, computers etc.)
    -Bonus structure

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look into wages, PenFed pays well below industry average. If you are not going to let employees work a full 40 hour work week you need to make sure your at least compensative close to industry average. Desk and chairs needs to be upgrade, work stations are way to small.

Good people, some poor policies

Omaha, NE

ProsThere are a lot of really great people within the company who truly care about their job and their customers

ConsIt's a hassle to request a day off
    More focus is placed on stats then quality of service
    Limited to no breaks allowed-- even on a ten hour shift except for lunch.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more flexible with scheduling, allow breaks, and adjust how you measure stats because they don't truly measure a person's contribution to the company.

A great financial institution that pays the members back for their savings.

Dededo, GU

ProsLow interest rates and great customer service. Tier programs are available according to your tax bracket. Membership open to military and family members as well as extended family and those who share the same household. Excellent car loan rates. Top notch employer sponsored savings program comparable with U.S. government jobs.

ConsUnlike a bank, loans are not always easily accessible. They prevent you from borrowing more than you may be able to comfortably repay. Employment is mostly part time which no one can live on. I was criticized for coming in early and leaving late to make sales quotas as the time I was working was not paid time.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training on financials so that the member service reps may better educate and sell financial products. Allow at home jobs to sell financials.

It has been a great experience due to the people I work with, and the versatility of my daily duties.

ProsIt's great to work here because they take care of you. Ex: They make sure if you had to stay late one day, you get to come in late the next day. If you want to take your 10 minute relaxing break apart from your 45 minute lunch, you can- or you can take them together. They are very family oriented and support each other and our military. They are always willing to help you if you are new or have any questions. Very professional, but relaxed.

ConsThe training is not very good in my opinion. You sit around and watch people to learn what a Credit Union is all about for about the first week. Then you observe whatever job you're trying for for a few days, then you're pretty much thrown to the wolves. The computer system is really easy to use, but you must make sure to follow every rule dealing with confidentiality and getting the correct info from each member for each transaction (it varies completely between mbrs). You will take a lot of computer tests when you first go in, so that you will know all the rules and regulations, so no need to worry. It is just all a very rushed process. Much too rushed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to help out new employees a bit more by actually having them be watched while they are using the system for the first time. Let them learn by doing- but with your supervision. It's not necessary to let them touch money at the very beginning, but it would be nice if you helped them with remembering what to document for each transaction, and how to properly get through each one for at least a week. After all- it is what they will be doing everyday for the rest of their stay with you :).

Job security, supportive culture, and opportunities to grow with the company

Manager (Current Employee)
    Eugene, OR

Pros-Job Security: No one gets laid off...ever.
    -Culture: Feels like there's a desire to work together and do the best for our members; compared to other FI's in the area, lots of flexibility (telecommuting/work from home, PT schedules) and support from the company (ex: company makes accommodations for folks with personal issues/needs).
    -Growth: Strong "promote from within" culture, most managers promoted up through the ranks, most hires are entry-level so they can learn the culture before promoting

Cons-Salaries are average for financial services industry
    -Too much decision making consolidated in senior management
    -Most management positions are located in Virginia, not enough management-level jobs have moved outside of HQ
    -Could benefit from improved training for front-line staff

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop some better information distribution mechanisms and spend a little bit more money on your staff and I think you could be even better.

Great learning experience

Middle Manager (Current Employee)
    Alexandria, VA

ProsSophisticated large credit union, many opportunties to develop early in my career.

ConsAt some point I had to move on to seek career opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementContine to focus on operating efficiency and improving the experience for the member.

They will provide great benefits, but they will demand intense hours with a less-than-industry average

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Alexandria, VA

ProsTransparent C-level staff, great co-workers, strong capability to do great work

ConsCompensation is below-average. Middle-management to VP level tend to be scrambling to get higher. This can lead to a lot of issues as far as demands from anyone non-managerial without expecting documentation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the middle management much more, they need to have more resources to provide the same amount of excellent service you would see at institutions that don't cut corners

Worked for Pentagon Federal Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pentagon Federal Credit Union reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pentagon Federal Credit Union CEO Frank R. Pollack. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Pentagon Federal Credit Union employees.