Pentaho

Pentaho Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Pentaho Chairman and CEO Quentin Gallivan

Quentin Gallivan

Couldn't be happier working at Pentaho

Sales (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Surrounded by smart people with hard-working, winning attitudes.
    - Exec's care about their employees, from top to bottom.
    - Constant recognition for individual and team wins, big or small
    - Fun, collaborative and hungry environment
    - Great location downtown SF with great views.

Cons- Technology can be hard to capture if you don't have a passion for it

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the recognition!

Weak Product & Weak Product / Marketing Teams

ProsGood name within the developer community which makes a good story for big data.

ConsPentaho is delivering the future of business analytics but no one has a clue about what that means. The product team has unfortunately not seen any other BI tool for the last 8 years and is driven by the feature functions that the open source contributes. The marketing / prod marketing teams are all fluff. There is no single sole in that team who has a BI background. And we are all trying to sell to a technical BI buyer. Go figure the mess we are in! It is a super competitive market and things don't hold up. Product is weak. Positioning is confusing and is all about feature functions. I have to laugh every time nonsense like "blending at the source" vs. “blending at the glass” comes out of our product marketing. You call this positioning? Pentaho, you can do better than this. Get some people who know BI to run your core teams. So while Pentaho might sounds like a good opportunity at first, sh** is going to hit the fan soon. Sales numbers speak for themselves. Think twice before you join.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people with BI knowledge. Invest in the product, not marketing.

They have tons of potential so they are working out their kinks as they are going through some growing pains.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsTons of perks for the employees and for the most part, great staff. The industry they are in and the position they have placed themselves have a huge potential for growth especially if you are vested in the company.

ConsLike many companies they have internal politics so it causes inefficiencies and a ton of gossip and back talk. Communication is sticky between upper management, often time causing friction between the lower levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to really see good talent and figure out how to keep them. Build team spirit between all departments, so their is positive and congruent efforts in pushing the company as a whole forward.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales is a revolving door...

Inside Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe office in SF has awesome views
    Many of the office staff females are very attractive
    Sometimes management will treat you to dinner

ConsI am in sales and from that standpoint it's a revolving door of people.
    Nobody makes quota then you get fired after building your pipeline.
    Don't take my word for it. Check out all the past people who have worked there in sales
    on LinkedIN.
    The CEO often goes on wild, incomprehensible rants he calls "motivational talks"

Advice to Senior ManagementSet realistic goals for your sales staff and it will not be a revolving door.

Totally Awesome Company to Work For

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsGreat growth potential in a growing market

ConsA growing company will always experience occasional growing pains!

Advice to Senior ManagementAs you grow the company, work hard to keep things lean and flat.

Fun and fast-paced place to work!

ProsThis is a dynamic and fun place to work....the creativity and ideas that are swirling about are amazing! I have been here about a year and I still look forward to going into the office on Monday mornings. The motto here seems to be "ask for forgiveness, not permission". Management actively encourages ideas.

Definitely full of very intelligent, creative people, and there's a distinct lack of "jerks". I believe that the hiring process is designed specifically to keep shallow thinkers, pessimistic people, and jerks out! It's quite refreshing

ConsSometimes it's a little loud (people chatting). Hey, I had to write something here, and that was all I could come up with.

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue having 1 on 1s with staff....this process works

Awesome Culture!

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsAt Pentaho, I am surrounded by so many people I admire and respect. The team chemistry is great and the team leads are some of the best I've ever worked with. The projects keep me engaged and interested. I appreciate all the things the company does to keep us happy and motivated - brown bags, occasional free lunches, loaded break rooms, work-from-home flex, gym memberships, etc. The best part of working here is the culture! =)

ConsWe have a very long list of products/projects to maintain. It takes a long time to get familiar with the entire technology stack.

The Best Place I've Ever Worked!!!!

ProsPentaho is unique and I love working here. It is the perfect combination of "laid-back casualness", and commitment to excellence.

Pros:
    Co-Workers are passionate about the product and their role in creating it.
    Flexible schedule.
    Great place for people who are self starters and self managers.
    Lots of new, cutting-edge technology.
    International teams.
    Incredible benefits package, the best I've seen anywhere!

ConsCons:
    There aren't any cons for me, but this place would be a poor fit for someone who needs a lot of guidance and clear direction. It would also be a poor fit for someone who is not a self-starter.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

HR and their new Success Factors process is a joke

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

Pros1. Company is in a hot space (analytics)
    2. High energy environment

ConsSuccess Factors was brought in last year by the new HR. It is a joke, even to the line mangers. They literally say that we "have to" fill this out to meet our duties as manager.
    What Pentaho doesn't get is that a tool is not going to solve your company performance. Managers need to be able to set guidelines and know how to INSPIRE. Although the company is about 200 people there is quite bit of hierarchy and a lot of new managers have never been managers before.
    The results: performance suffers, promotions are not tied into clear goals and line managers don't know how to motivate. But, we all filled out a lot of forms and spent heck of time on it!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you help line managers lead, not just manage your process. Maybe even talk to the people and ask them how they feel. Is the new process helping them? Or was it just a check mark on the new HR process? Figure out a way to motivate and inspire people.

Best job I have ever had and it is only getting better!

Engineering (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

Pros*Flexible schedule
    *Company takes care of its own
    *Entire company works tirelessly to produce the best product possible
    *Competitive pay
    *Brilliant co-workers

Cons*Fast paced environment with continuously evolving processes.
    *Need to be very technical to keep up.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll complaints are already being reviewed and are being acted on.

Worked for Pentaho? Contribute to the Community!