Pentair

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pentair Chairman and CEO Randall J. Hogan III

Randall J. Hogan III

Pros:
  • "Good People to work with and good products ensure you the ability to sell materials"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:

Reviews

Pentair offers high quality personnel and products

Product Manager (Former Employee)
Warwick, RI

I worked at Pentair full-time for more than a year

ProsHigh quality of contributors. They offered a nice work/life balance and invested training of individuals for growth. They offered "best of breed" solutions that allows one to sell and promote on quality.

ConsDifficult market at the moment. Many layoffs have made the work environment trying a times.

Rightsize? Downsize? Restructure? The 'GE Model' is no longer relevant.

Product Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Pentair full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTyco Thermal Controls was an acquisition of Pentair in October 2012. TTC was an excellent company with literally the best products in the world. Mature and well run business model. Really talented people. Excellent resources.

ConsThe period from 1 October through the 11 February layoff of 82 people worldwide was the most dysfuntional period I had seen in over 33 years of business. If you weren't looking over your shoulder you were wondering what Pentair had planned for the future. Communication was virtually non-existent and management representaives on the Global Leadership Team excelled at obsfuscation and mid-direction.

A true disservice to shareholders, stakeholders and vendors. It will take decades to build loyalty.

Please note that I was among the 82 laid off. Intelectually I can understand it. From a business and PR standbpoint a disaster. It would not have been so bad if they knew what I did and was underperforming. I was 'tagged' in a spreadsheet. A great euphamism for today's short-term mentality.

Really good people are going through the motions and spending more time on a daily basis polishing resumes and updating Linked In profiles than doing actual work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to buy a construction company with almost $1 billion in Alberta Tar Sands projects on the books do some homework. These revenue NEVER accrue in the quarters to which you post glowing Wall Street Reports. This is a long-term asset that requires patience and people.

Beware lay-offs of long-term employees in good standing

Designer (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Pentair full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTyco Thermal Controls was an acquisition of Pentair in October 2012. TTC was an amazing work-place that didn't micromanage for efficiency and people were happy to come to work.

ConsI was not among those laid off, but Pentair is *not* a loyal company to long term employees in their acquisitions. Micromanaging has begun (all employees are now required to email their boss upon logging in and out each day) and the previous environment is lost. Employees with 15-25 years of experience in our niche field were unceremoniously laid-off to hire less expensive, inexperienced foreigners who will work for a pittance and a visa. It's truly unfortunate what has become of this formerly amazing workplace. Advancement is slow or nonexistent.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loved the people and job, hated the environment and corporate mentality.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pentair full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWas excellent when started. Common direction and goals.

ConsTop Management either wants certain aspects to fail or they are oblivious. Either way direction is on a quick downward slope. Lots of higher management that don't add value while cutting the mid to low level of employees that actually do the work.
Bottom line is all this company cares about, employees are tools to be cut whenever possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire your upper management or pay attention.

Good place to work and learn

Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)
Sanford, NC

I have been working at Pentair full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVery stable company. Low levels of politics. Lots of opportunity to improve your skills and knowledge.competitive salary. Working hours are flexible to accommodate family.

ConsNot focused in retaining talent. No clear career path.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on value added projects than make look good lean projects with no sizable return.

Decent Company

I have been working at Pentair full-time

ProsGood People to work with and good products ensure you the ability to sell materials. The product portfolio is large and recognized world wide for its quality.

ConsOperationally a nightmare, the company is disconnected internally and lacks focus. The distribution channel is fragmented and massive increases in Inside Sales support is needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave Operations report to the Sales Management team and combine thier efforts so that they are working together to achieve the same goals.

Chinese Sweat Shop.

Molding Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee)
Delavan, WI

I worked at Pentair full-time for less than a year

ProsGood Pay. Many Hours. Ability to advance quickly. They will get your forklift certified if you show promise. Hire through Temp agency. Relatively easy work.

ConsDismal environment. Mostly angry/grumpy co-workers and management. Forced to work 40-50 hours with no exception. Usually only 1 day off a week. Management is willing to hear complaints about the work environment but I never seen any improvement or progress made. Hire only through Temp agency. You have to stand most of the shift. Material handlers job is extremely stressful and difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more advice from your crew members. Worry less about productivity and more about your fellow co-workers.

I'm sure it will change more after the Tyco acquisition.

IT Manager (Former Employee)
Sheboygan, WI

I worked at Pentair full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRelatively stable company in most areas. Good benefits. Acquisitions can provide some opportunity.

ConsCost cutting may result in more facility closures like the one I worked for and there is limited movement among divisions so upward movement was uncommon while I was there.

Poor management

PR Ocurement (Former Employee)

I worked at Pentair full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWas a good place to work when work was available. Pentair lost many jobs due to poor quality/personel turnover

ConsVery poor management, no clear vision of where they need to go or what markets to attack...

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to find talented people to get the company back in line. QC needs to improve dramatically

Upper finance management seems more interested in playing favorites than true people development

Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Pentair full-time

ProsGreat global reach so many opportunities to travel internationally and learn the business in different countries. The people overall are very experienced and excel at their jobs.

ConsIt is obvious management at the upper level of finance plays favorites - decisions about hiring/firing/retention seem more based on getting on upper finance's "good side" rather than true employee performance. As a result, there is a lack of trust in upper management's retention and personnel development decisions, especially if you have a direct or dotted-line reporting to the CFO. This has become increasingly obvious now that preparations for the merger are advancing.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job retaining talent, especially during the merger process. Make sure retention and development of talent is fair, not based on a single individual's opinions/views.

Worked for Pentair? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pentair reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pentair CEO Randall J. Hogan III. All 50 reviews posted anonymously by Pentair employees.