Pentair

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pentair Chairman and CEO Randall J. Hogan

Randall J. Hogan

Pros
  • Good People to work with and good products ensure you the ability to sell materials (in 10 reviews)

• good pay and better benefits, direct dposit with 24/7 computer access to payroll and benefits as well as employee discounts (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very corporate which is good if you like this structure you must enjoy very limited work life balance to succeed (in 4 reviews)

• Don't ever expect to spend time with your family, unless you are upper Management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Avoid at all cost!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Golden Valley, MN

ProsThe pay was above avg.

ConsThe worst management I have worked under in 15 years and 5 companies. In the 6 months I worked there I bet I conversed with my direct manager a total of 20 minutes. I was given NO direction on what my duties were and no feedback as to how I was doing. They were mad that I missed meetings that I was not invited to. They were mad that I missed a deadline that I was never given. Communication was a big fat ZERO. There was also an employee that worked under me that had absolutly no idea what she was doing. Everyday she would stop by and ask if I could run these reports for her, show her how to do this, tell her how to do that, please fix this for me, UGG I basically did my job and hers everyday. If I wasn't in the office to help her do her job, she would complain to our direct manager that I didn't help her & that I was never around! You try to sit in a chair for 8 hours a day with absolutly NO tasks assigned to you! It's boring!

Then I was let go by phone on a Saturday!

haha - Worst job ever!

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your employees! If you want something, ASK! If you don't like something, SAY SO!

You are on your own

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsOnly for graduates, just to realize that there are so many good other companies, only a few real specialists, experts

ConsNo real trainings with real experts, you can get training only if you have nothing to do which will never happen and if you get it you will regret of the things you could do instead. You may ask for a good chair for you but you will only get a kitchen chair instead. If you need to read A3 drawings you can reed it on your knees because in order to approve few chairs and desks 4 top managers should come to your office and 2 years to pass. Local manager can do nothing. When a new project starts every manager say to employees that they will get any help, but when it comes to a real case - no one can help as they never knew all those things. Futher budget reduction is expected. New employees may be paid more than experienced that have participated in all the projects during the year and successfully completed it (on time and high quality). When it comes to work on a very complex project your manager tells you that you are the only one who can do that (and you really are) but when it comes to pay rise - seems like all the words are forgotten. If you wanna pay rise - declare of your resignation. I don't know how many times this approach can work. Though you will be offered some pay rise but it wil be so uncompetitive so that you will leave anyways. No talent & career management at all. It is easier for the company to hire new guys. Money - is the only value for the company though it declare the other.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to listen to your employees. Don't try to paint a picture - do real things. Develop your employees.

White Bear Lake location

Value Stream Manager (Current Employee) White Bear Lake, MN

ProsSome very good people working there. Good pay and benefits.

ConsVery Engineering centric, extremely high turnover especially of Value Stream Managers and very poor Safety controls in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a manager in place that drives Operations, Sales and Engineering... not just listen to Engineering.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inside Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsManagement has changed again. Maybe these people are more professional and are waking up to how to run a large company like this one. Communication is opening up on what the company is doing as a whole. That hasn't filtered down to local management yet. Old habits are hard to break.

ConsThere is no chance for advancement there. Not one person was promoted in the four years I worked there. People are considered expendable. Benefits are not good. The location I where I was working was very cheap. Even let the receptionist go to save money. Even though we met or exceeded booking projections consistently. Processes in my department were not well documented. Which leads to too much tribal knowledge and confusion for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing the department name every year or so. Employees don't even know how to answer the phone. Update your website/websites. There are several. And all of them are difficult to navigate. How do you expect your customers to find out what location to contact for the product they need if the employees find it hard to do? Promote people internally instead of firing existing people and hiring new ones to replace them.

Focused on the business and not the customer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Brookfield, WI

ProsCompensation was competitive for management.

ConsBegan hiring executives that where overly assertive and did not understand the business. Continually espousing taking risks, without true data to make an informed risk analysis.

Advice to Senior ManagementReturn to the true culture of lean, thinking in terms of adding value. Understand that it is through serving the customer that you serve the business, If you continue to fail to serve the customer, someone will. Look inward.

Disorganized management at best of times.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEnjoyed the people and the groups I dealt with.

ConsPolitics became the main objective and not the customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves.

Could be better

Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsOK place to get exp.

Constoo rigid which takes innovation away.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees

Once was a Good Place

Business Development Manager (Current Employee)

ProsA legacy of good people being reduced rapidly. Older employees try to give knowledge transfer

ConsOnce every product was through the QC. One in a thousand now. Internal market and product knowledge is sliding. Upper management going for image not reality. With a first to market first to fail (regularly), Luckily a lot of legacy people (retiring or going to other companies now) are still in place but are being replaced with short term youth who see the issues and also are leaving once a good CV is in place

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO needs to reevaluate the management below. Or, if that does not work then the board need to reevaluate the CEO. The buck stops here.
    Do not blame the union or employees. Which is the current process

Engineer

Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) Pasadena, TX

ProsGood co-wokers, nice office, benefit is okay

ConsPay is way undermarket; long hours.

Beware lay-offs of long-term employees in good standing

Designer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsTyco Thermal Controls was an acquisition of Pentair in October 2012. TTC was an amazing work-place that didn't micromanage for efficiency and people were happy to come to work.

ConsI was not among those laid off, but Pentair is *not* a loyal company to long term employees in their acquisitions. Micromanaging has begun (all employees are now required to email their boss upon logging in and out each day) and the previous environment is lost. Employees with 15-25 years of experience in our niche field were unceremoniously laid-off to hire less expensive, inexperienced foreigners who will work for a pittance and a visa. It's truly unfortunate what has become of this formerly amazing workplace. Advancement is slow or nonexistent.

Worked for Pentair? Contribute to the Community!