Pentland Group

2.2

Pentland Group CEO Andy Rubin
Andy Rubin

A Great Place to Work!!

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pentland Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

A real team environment where team building activities are encouraged, a CEO that really cares and gets involved with the business, a great benefits package and a beautiful site. A great working environment and work life balance including access to a canteen, gym and a pool.

Cons

A little bit far from central London but worth it once you see the offices.

STAY AWAY

Current Employee - Administrative  in  New Hyde Park, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative in New Hyde Park, NY

I have been working at Pentland Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discounts on merchandise, free breakfast and lunch

Cons

This company is very political. The majority of management does not do what they are suppose to do in terms of solving issues. You either deal with the issue or you leave. If you speak up they will kick you out the back door and defame your character. Denise Keller, currently Executive Assistant and Tom Siegel former C.O.O. in the USA are two examples of that majority. The USA also has a very high turnover, wonder why !!! Do not waste your time with this company.

Open your eyes as to why you have such high turnover

Well over one year

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pentland Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

CEO, family business and facilities are all very good. I can only speak for IT but keep on the good side of the senior managers and don't challenge.

Cons

Politics. In Group IT where I work the only way you move forward is by being a 'yes' man. A lot of talented people have either left or been fired for not complying with the IT directors wishes and for having an opinion. If you want to last, head down and don't challenge.

Needs some Exec involvement in IT to get under the skin of what's happening here. Not good.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, great people.

Current Employee - Business Services  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Services in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pentland Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic environment, a real family feeling, people are friendly, credible and respectable senior management, talented colleagues. The CEO knows me and my colleagues by name and takes the time to say hello - where else does this ever happen? Being a family owned company without the red-tape of a plc means I can influence and have a much greater impact on the business. And I can swim, go to the gym or get a massage on my lunch hour!

Cons

Office politics - these are always a con anywhere I've worked; however I recognise that they're a natural part of organisational culture and Pentland is a much less political environment than many other places I've worked! The only way to avoid office politics is to become a contractor and not stay anywhere long enough to get involved!

Keep speaking to people and listening to feedback.

Horrible. Hostile political environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pentland Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good gym, swimming pool. Can buy shoes, jackets etc at discounted rates.

Cons

Overall environment is very bad. Being part of Group IT team I observe that they have not changed over the years. They still have a very administrative way of working. There are people working here from 5-10 years because they have lost their passion and skills and only way of working they can think of is playing politics. Many people are stuck here because they lost whatever knowledge they had and now they cannot go out.

Senior Managers are tyrants, very aggressive and anyone trying to raise voice is fired.

If you can do lots of licking, politics and pretension it may be good place. No place for someone who is honest and wants to do a good job. I came here from some very renowned companies and in just 1 year I feel I made a very wrong decision. You cannot grow your career with this company especially if you join Group IT (full of hostilities). Stay clear..

CEO is good but probably he hardly has any idea what goes on at middle management levels. It is a family business so there are some people who have grown very powerful and when such people (or their close allies) become tyrants you cannot be save. There is hardly any process to address employee grievance, no one listens (not even HR). If you shout much you may be removed silently. Just stay clear..

Your aggressive attitude is not going to grow the company. You shold respect your employees and value their thoughts. Firing people and quoting funny reasons is not going to help.

Pentland Brands-Stay clear of the company

I have been working at Pentland Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good gym, canteen and coffee shop

Cons

Very, very political. Many good people have been kicked out from the back door. Also senior management are only interested in themselves and the pay pack packet they get. While the progression of certain managers was not due to hard work but very good lip service never mind who they had to step on to get to the top. At times the amount of brown nosery was embarrasing. Culture has all but changed in last few years, previously people worked as a team for the company , now work for themselves. Not a great office environment. It is a company where you will do well if your face fits and two you know how to play the political game. Do not neccessarily need to work hard to get progression just need your face to fit. (Just look at the senior execs team)
    As for the CEO has not got a clue whats going on at ground level, does not know whats going on with the people who do the main work for the business. The very people who do not have time to network and spend ages at gym networking as too busy doing the work.He is listening to senior execs and they are hiding half the picture and in my view certainly not the best people to help move the business forward.

Senior managers you know what you have done to get to the top. People like that dont stay that long at the top. Someone will come in and get rid of you sooner rather than later, how long can you keep the act going????

Not as good as it says on the tin

Former Employee - Business Unit Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Unit Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Pentland Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Main Office in London is impressive with refectory, gym, staff shop etc
    The group owns some well known brands, although with the exception of Speedo none are market leaders
    Because of the structure of the group there is plenty of opportunity for career advancement
    The Chairman (Stephen Rubin) is a good guy

Cons

It is a highly political environment with the focus more often then not on aligning with the right person over making the correct commercial decision
    Certain Senior Execs are extremely arrogant and although may say the right things they are really only paying lip service
    The company has a magic backdoor through which very good employees magically disappear all too regularly

There are a bunch of good people in this business whom you should listen to.

If you are able to tolerate politics you will succeed

I have been working at Pentland Group

Pros

Sense of togetherness with strong emphasis on success and clear direction given by brand leaders. Employees are looked after and the work place is a pleasure to work at.

Cons

Political games can make for an interesting work culture - many are working for "success together" but a few spoil it by only looking out for themselves.

succession plans are key and the emphasis must be on all areas fully developing a suitable successor and then giving those people the chance to lead

Pentland is a good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Pentland Group

Pros

Pentland offers many opportunities to those wishing to take them. The focus is very much on the employee and you feel valued.

Cons

It has it's own 'unique' culture not everyone will enjoy

Keep on doing what they are

Pentland Group Photos

Pentland Lakeside (Photo thanks to Geograph user Martin Addison, Some Rights Reserved)
Vineyard Grove (Photo thanks to Geograph user Martin Addison, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo

Worked for Pentland Group? Contribute to the Community!