Pentland Group

Updated October 9, 2014
Updated October 9, 2014

Pentland Group CEO Andy Rubin
Andy Rubin

Refreshingly positive environment, that has a clear strategy and really aligns it's peoples needs with it's financial goals.

Current Employee - Head of Commercial in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Head of Commercial in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pentland Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fantastic people

In previous companies I've found my role to be somewhat controlled, especially at big corporates. I've finally joined a company where I truly feel accountable for everything I do and have clear lines of responsibility

Inspirational leadership

Global business with fantastic brands, who'd have thought you'd get Speedo, Canterbury and Lacoste Footwear all under one house.

Amazing creative environment, with stunning offices

Being part of a family owned business is a first for me, I can honestly say I could not be happier working for the Rubin family they are an inspiration to the industry and entrepreneurs. Keep up the good work.

Cons

Not in central London (but at least I get a seat on the tube!)
    lacks the structure the business needs to sustain it's growth.

Keep up the cascading of information, being ambitious and growing the company.

A Great Place to Work!!

Current Employee - Human Resources in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pentland Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A real team environment where team building activities are encouraged, a CEO that really cares and gets involved with the business, a great benefits package and a beautiful site. A great working environment and work life balance including access to a canteen, gym and a pool.

Cons

A little bit far from central London but worth it once you see the offices.

Working in Group IT

Current Employee - Team Leader In IT
    Current Employee - Team Leader In IT

I have been working at Pentland Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some great people, great offices and facilities, great CEO although somewhat out of touch with his grass routes people, Family business, some great opportunities if you play the game, good pay

Cons

Politics, back stabling, its not necessity what you know its who you know, have to 'play the game', IT leaders don't like challenges, ruthless in getting rid of loyal employees for the new kid on the block. The brands are better to work for than central services. IT politics and brown nosing is rife.

Listen to your grass routes staff and value their experience.

Good until they no longer need you

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pentland Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice working environment, good facilities, some nice collegues

Cons

Politics, lack of structure, no commitment to values, lack of leadership, backstabbing, poor delivery

Focus on people and delivery rather than ticking boxes

Great company, great people.

Current Employee - Business Services in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Services in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pentland Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fantastic environment, a real family feeling, people are friendly, credible and respectable senior management, talented colleagues. The CEO knows me and my colleagues by name and takes the time to say hello - where else does this ever happen? Being a family owned company without the red-tape of a plc means I can influence and have a much greater impact on the business. And I can swim, go to the gym or get a massage on my lunch hour!

Cons

Office politics - these are always a con anywhere I've worked; however I recognise that they're a natural part of organisational culture and Pentland is a much less political environment than many other places I've worked! The only way to avoid office politics is to become a contractor and not stay anywhere long enough to get involved!

Keep speaking to people and listening to feedback.

Horrible. Hostile political environment

I have been working at Pentland Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good gym, swimming pool. Can buy shoes, jackets etc at discounted rates.

Cons

Overall environment is very bad. Being part of Group IT team I observe that they have not changed over the years. They still have a very administrative way of working. There are people working here from 5-10 years because they have lost their passion and skills and only way of working they can think of is playing politics. Many people are stuck here because they lost whatever knowledge they had and now they cannot go out.

Senior Managers are tyrants, very aggressive and anyone trying to raise voice is fired.

If you can do lots of licking, politics and pretension it may be good place. No place for someone who is honest and wants to do a good job. I came here from some very renowned companies and in just 1 year I feel I made a very wrong decision. You cannot grow your career with this company especially if you join Group IT (full of hostilities). Stay clear..

CEO is good but probably he hardly has any idea what goes on at middle management levels. It is a family business so there are some people who have grown very powerful and when such people (or their close allies) become tyrants you cannot be save. There is hardly any process to address employee grievance, no one listens (not even HR). If you shout much you may be removed silently. Just stay clear..

Your aggressive attitude is not going to grow the company. You shold respect your employees and value their thoughts. Firing people and quoting funny reasons is not going to help.

Pentland Brands-Stay clear of the company

I have been working at Pentland Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good gym, canteen and coffee shop

Cons

Very, very political. Many good people have been kicked out from the back door. Also senior management are only interested in themselves and the pay pack packet they get. While the progression of certain managers was not due to hard work but very good lip service never mind who they had to step on to get to the top. At times the amount of brown nosery was embarrasing. Culture has all but changed in last few years, previously people worked as a team for the company , now work for themselves. Not a great office environment. It is a company where you will do well if your face fits and two you know how to play the political game. Do not neccessarily need to work hard to get progression just need your face to fit. (Just look at the senior execs team)
    As for the CEO has not got a clue whats going on at ground level, does not know whats going on with the people who do the main work for the business. The very people who do not have time to network and spend ages at gym networking as too busy doing the work.He is listening to senior execs and they are hiding half the picture and in my view certainly not the best people to help move the business forward.

Senior managers you know what you have done to get to the top. People like that dont stay that long at the top. Someone will come in and get rid of you sooner rather than later, how long can you keep the act going????

Not as good as it says on the tin

Former Employee - Business Unit Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Unit Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Pentland Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Main Office in London is impressive with refectory, gym, staff shop etc
    The group owns some well known brands, although with the exception of Speedo none are market leaders
    Because of the structure of the group there is plenty of opportunity for career advancement
    The Chairman (Stephen Rubin) is a good guy

Cons

It is a highly political environment with the focus more often then not on aligning with the right person over making the correct commercial decision
    Certain Senior Execs are extremely arrogant and although may say the right things they are really only paying lip service
    The company has a magic backdoor through which very good employees magically disappear all too regularly

There are a bunch of good people in this business whom you should listen to.

If you are able to tolerate politics you will succeed

I have been working at Pentland Group

Pros

Sense of togetherness with strong emphasis on success and clear direction given by brand leaders. Employees are looked after and the work place is a pleasure to work at.

Cons

Political games can make for an interesting work culture - many are working for "success together" but a few spoil it by only looking out for themselves.

succession plans are key and the emphasis must be on all areas fully developing a suitable successor and then giving those people the chance to lead

Pentland is a good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Pentland Group

Pros

Pentland offers many opportunities to those wishing to take them. The focus is very much on the employee and you feel valued.

Cons

It has it's own 'unique' culture not everyone will enjoy

Keep on doing what they are

Pentland Group Photos