Penton

Penton Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Penton CEO David Kieselstein

David Kieselstein

Pros
  • PTO is great with many managers appreciating the importance of work life balance(in 10 reviews)

• The flexibility of the work environment is wonderful(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Under senior management level, there is little to no reward for going above and beyond(in 11 reviews)

• Most middle to upper management are brought in from other companies(in 11 reviews)

Penton Media

Associate Analyst (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsLeave work at work. Some freedom to present ideas that are listened too.

ConsManagament staff does not seemed to be properly trained on how to manage teams.

Jun 17, 2014

Your comments are appreciated. We strongly believe that our employees should voice their opinions, and encourage you to talk to HR about any issues you may experiencing. This being said, at the ... More

Smart people

ProsSmart people work at Penton

ConsSubtle arrogance permeates the culture.

Cronyism, Arrogance, and Blind Incompetance

Software Development (Former Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsThere are not many pros about Penton beyond a casual and loose work environment where, if you do not really care, you can camp out her for a bit until you find something better.

ConsThere is much cronyism and questionable competence in the senior software development executive management team. The top members of this team all worked together outside Penton at small start-ups and were brought in over the heads of more qualified existing staff in a block hire with no consideration of promotion from within. Despite resume statements to the contrary, this collective team has had little large corporation leadership experience and limited longevity in any one position. These folks are smart but inexperienced. They would be great employees at other companies; however, they are not leaders, have less work experience than existing staff, but come with an attitude of superiority and a total lack of understanding of how to get things done in a company with established products. If you do decide to work for Penton, you had better live in New York or you will automatically be looked down upon. The collective management team cannot be trusted, and all operate knowing deep down they are working beyond their personal skill levels. The Kansas City development team are all disgruntled and many are considering their options. Work here at your own risk.

Read the reviews carefully. Especially note with care the ones with a high number of stars for upper management has specifically campaigned internally to have folks submit positive reviews to offset the negative.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some time to do some serious introspection into your values.

Realize that asking your employees to submit positive reviews (as you have done) on Glassdoor to try to artificially increase Penton's rating and whitewash concerns is not a good social media approach. Official company responses to these reviews are humorous at best--actions speak more loudly than words.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company with lots of good assets, but which has gradually become less attractive to work for.

ProsLots of smart people.
    A big variety of products to get involved in, depending on what your specialty is.

ConsMore and more political environment.
    Execution doesn't match the storyline being told by top management.

Jun 17, 2014

We continuously strive to make sure all of our employees clearly understand the goals that have been set for the company, as well as how these goals are being worked towards.

We encourage all of
    ... More

Penton salaries

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsOverall, above the industry average

ConsNot many support sysyems available

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep moving forward

Jun 17, 2014

We are always open to hearing any suggestions you may have regarding expanding the company’s support systems. Please do contact HR with any ideas.

Depending on your needs, you can always approach
    ... More

Abusive Management, Unrealistic Workloads

Digital (Current Employee)

ProsThe people I work with below middle management are creative and smart.

ConsAbusive Management, Unrealistic workloads, Throw people under the bus.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace the people who have left. You are killing us with too much work, and then grinding us down. Quit throwing your employees under the bus. Respect is earned. Value your workers. Worst management (middle and upper) I have ever experienced. If the economy was better, and there was opportunity, I would be so out of here.

Jun 17, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We really value a work-life balance, and encourage you to talk to your manager and/or HR if you feel that your workload is too heavy.

Interesting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAble to work remotely from home.

ConsCommunications lack in several areas.

Lots of hot air blowing down from the top - "communication"

(Current Employee)

ProsCasual atmosphere/office environment. Can work remotely if needed - and if you don't work for an old-school hippie, that thinks being in the office is necessary to do your job. Keurig (hurry before they try to take it away again!) Co-workers are all great to work with. Quiet office, since so many people have quit over the last several months.

Can learn some new skills here - if you report to someone that actually knows what they're doing.

ConsUnder senior management level, there is little to no reward for going above and beyond.
     - After taking on many new responsibilities and workloads for several years, with no compensation and no promotion, I demanded both from my manager. i received both (still inadequate), but come review/raise time, i was told I was being penalized because i already received a raise. This company is so backwards, it's no wonder so many people are headed for the door.

Contrary to some of the responses found in this thread, there is no revenue-sharing happening. At least not for those of us that do all of the work - my paycheck has seen no benefit from the so-called "sharing". No 401K match. No bonuses (well not for those of us under senior level). Compensation is sub-par in general.

No room for advancement. Any jobs created for higher levels are usually filled from outside the company. Higher level positions that are vacated usually get dissolved, rather than filled. If they are filled, it's not usually from within.

The company has become so centralized-focused, that there is no room or opportunity to be innovative within your group.

Lots of company polishing happening right now - probably going to try and sell to the highest bidder soon.

Reviews and raises here are a joke. The system is completely subjective, and no matter what the score, you get little to no raise anyway. You're given yearly "goals" to meet (on top of your regular job). My goal is to get my job done in less than 70 hours each week.

A "study" was done by the company to assess salaries and average compensations. No one seems to know much about this benchmark study, other than the company did it. It helps determine if you are adequately compensated for your job each year. If you are, no raise for you. If you aren't, here's your 2.5% - even though cost of living climbs at least that every year. Oh, and by the way, that raise you just got - don't look for it in your paycheck. That's going directly to the health care cost that's being passed down by the company each year. It's all about profit, you know.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much to give, since they don't really listen to what we say. It would be interesting to see how many people have left the company in the last 12 months.

I'd say get ready for more departures. Those of us that have experience are good at what we do, and are constantly approached by recruiters and head-hunters. All it takes is the right offer, since there doesn't seem to be much to hold us here. Gone are the days of company loyalties. The old-school generation running this company needs to figure out how to better deal with Gen X and Y.

Jun 17, 2014

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. As part of Penton’s annual performance appraisal process, we ask that each employee complete a self-evaluation rating their work for the year. This ... More

Penton has a leadership crisis and they don't know it.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA very nice group of people from middle management on down.

ConsBlowing up the publishing end of the business while bowing down to data. Penton will be a much smaller company in 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a closer eye on your Market Leader level. Some there are lax, do not know their markets, do not face their markets, are bean counters not publishers.

Jun 17, 2014

We appreciate your comments. You’re correct in that we have been placing a huge emphasis on the power of data: Our customers continue to look for new ways for data to work, and our aim is to be at ... More

This is not a place to grow a career.

ProsPTO is great with many managers appreciating the importance of work life balance. Location is convenient right on Pearl Street in downtown Boulder. The overall personality of the people employed here is enjoyable.

ConsSo many. There is a supreme lack of communication between (and within) departments. I was promised growth and advancement and have received none. When the topic has been broached I have been told I have to "prove" myself. As though the last few years of employment proving my skills and dedication aren't good enough. The company refuses to promote from within, choosing instead to consistently bring in outside "help". Reviews are the most unhelpful thing here and dictate your 1 or 2% raise per year (if any). There is no where to go, and no one to talk to. This company would gleefully yank the rug out from at least 50% of those employed in my office if it made us a couple more dollars. Absolutely no regard for quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing if you want to lose all the quality people you employ.

Worked for Penton? Contribute to the Community!