Penton Reviews

Updated September 25, 2014
2.5

Penton CEO David Kieselstein
David Kieselstein

Pros
  • PTO is great with many managers appreciating the importance of work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• The flexibility of the work environment is wonderful (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Under senior management level, there is little to no reward for going above and beyond (in 12 reviews)

• Most middle to upper management are brought in from other companies (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Penton rocks!!!!

I have been working at Penton full-time

Pros

The people, the culture, the work environment, the leadership, the exchange of ideas, the development of bringing Penton through to the 21st century, the collaboration, the activities of engaging people to come together more often, the opportunity to work together to give back to communities; and the ability to laugh out loud - at yourself or with your team. Penton rocks!!!.

In today's society and culture, it is a me-me, but a Penton it's a team, team, team culture/environment..

Cons

Always feeling I have to defend Penton as being a good/bad company. It's not a person, place or thing that make a person, place or thing better. Happiness comes from within and shines through an individual. Penton does have some "bad seeds" of employees and who are just unhappy individuals and spoiled brats, have fits, and spew negative rants on social media such as glassdoor and other company review sites. Like all other companies that have these "type" of employees --- GROW UP!!!!!

Employees look forward to participating in Penton's growth. Talk and meet with your employees more.

Great experience working on software development projects and collaborating with co-workers in delivering final product.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Penton as a contractor

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the developers and overseas QA staff in addition to the editorial teams.

Cons

Company is growing so work space was getting limited.

Would be nice to get paid sooner when working as a contractor. When I was there, contractors were paid three months after the start date.

Dynamic company, if you want to be on the cutting edge of media this company is for you.

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Penton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company supplied equipment is of great quality. Generous paid time off plan. Lots of support from management. Matrix organization so you get to learn from more than one supervisor.

Cons

Senior Management is afraid to do what is right sometimes, not sure if they are trying to save face or they really don't know what is going on. No 401(k) match is very difficult for those who are non-MIP eligible.

Keep in mind that your employees are your best asset and treat them accordingly.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad outweighed good

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager  in  Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Penton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good general employees; experienced and competent

Cons

Upper management out of touch with the worker bees.

Rather than try to stem the tide of true reviews here with your in-house puppets, address the issues. Very easy to determine genuine comments vs. damage control.

Top heavy, middle disregarded and bottom taken for granted.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Penton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers are professional and knowledgeable. Working from home is permissible according to ones workload.

Cons

Benefits are okay but are making efforts towards getting better. Raises are minimal. Promotions are based on who rather than what you contribute.

It’s okay not to have all the answers. The smart/great leaders are the ones that surrounds themselves with people that are smarter than them and aren’t.

The people make Penton a good place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Penton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are some wonderful people at Penton and in the Overland Park office, especially, who are the main reasons it will be tough to leave Penton. Some people go out of their way to be mentors. Communication has improved. The C-level leadership is saying some of the right things.

Cons

Recognition for shared services groups is hard to come by. Despite the amount of energy expended on some endeavors, execution can be spotty. Some business decisions make you wonder about varying levels of accountability among different groups.

Penton Media

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Penton full-time

Pros

Great PTO, Casual dress, nice coworkers.

Cons

Management does not have proper training. Zero skills on how to handle any issues.

Take a hard look at your management team.

Sep 30, 2014PR

Thank you for your feedback. We have recently instituted Fred Pryor management training in response to direct feedback from employees and managers. Each manager is required take 6 intensive courses ... More

Off The Cliff We Go!

Current Employee - N/A
    Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at Penton full-time for more than a year

Pros

The flexibility is very nice. Work/life balance is great for now. Everything else, well... see below.

Cons

Management skill, communication, and lack of direction; these are the things the CDO Richard Stanton and his team lack. They've been on the job over six months and have failed to get anything off the ground, but he spins the failure as a success. It's a "startup mentality", which is deadly for a company that is well established. Startups fail 90% of the time. Every single one of Richard Stanton's startups has failed, and he's failing again. This is concerning because you would hope one would learn from failure. The environment is utterly toxic now with fear of more layoffs. He's outsourced most of the work overseas. To quote Richard Stanton, "I will drive this company off a cliff if I have too". Don't worry Richard; you're doing a fine job of that already.

It's not a secret that the company is trying to position themselves for a sale with the window dressing and all. But that's beside the point. This company's turnover is unbelievable; from top to bottom it's a constant revolving door.

Upper management needs to purge Richard Stanton and team. They've already done a lot of damage to this company. To let them stay any longer will only do more harm. The sooner they are gone the better.

Shift to online media not the only change

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at Penton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Many of Penton's brands are well respected in their markets' communities. There's also a good amount of schedule flexibility.

Cons

When management goes bad, there's no oversight to correct the situation.

Pay attention when there's a mass exodus from a publishing group. Listen to what people tell you in exit interviews and then act on that information.

Sep 30, 2014PR

Thank you very much for you comments. We take pride in our brands, which are critical to our growth.

We take our exit interviews very seriously and our SVPs analyze each and every exit interview
    ... More

Good company in need of some better trained managers

Current Employee - Editor
    Current Employee - Editor

I have been working at Penton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Co-workers are friendly and professional. There is a great work-life balance, allowing employees to work at home when necessary and generally allowing freedom to do your job without micromanaging.

Cons

Managers seem reluctant to accept the fact that the media landscape is changing and work requirements must be adjusted. Also, managers, while generally very knowledgeable about their industries, could use better training on managing staffs to get the most out of employees.

Reach down below the management level to more directly tap into the knowledge of employees. Managers don't consistently express the expectations of what upper management wants to accomplish, leaving the impression that employees are not receptive to the ideas.

Sep 30, 2014PR

Thank you for your feedback. We have recently instituted a Fred Pryor management training program and are requiring that our managers take 6 courses per quarter. We hope that this training will help ... More

Worked for Penton? Contribute to the Community!