Penton Reviews

Updated September 9, 2014
2.5

Penton CEO David Kieselstein
David Kieselstein

Pros
  • PTO is great with many managers appreciating the importance of work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• The flexibility of the work environment is wonderful (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Under senior management level, there is little to no reward for going above and beyond (in 11 reviews)

• Most middle to upper management are brought in from other companies (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience working on software development projects and collaborating with co-workers in delivering final product.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Penton as a contractor

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the developers and overseas QA staff in addition to the editorial teams.

Cons

Company is growing so work space was getting limited.

Would be nice to get paid sooner when working as a contractor. When I was there, contractors were paid three months after the start date.

The people make Penton a good place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Penton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are some wonderful people at Penton and in the Overland Park office, especially, who are the main reasons it will be tough to leave Penton. Some people go out of their way to be mentors. Communication has improved. The C-level leadership is saying some of the right things.

Cons

Recognition for shared services groups is hard to come by. Despite the amount of energy expended on some endeavors, execution can be spotty. Some business decisions make you wonder about varying levels of accountability among different groups.

Penton Media

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Penton full-time

Pros

Great PTO, Casual dress, nice coworkers.

Cons

Management does not have proper training. Zero skills on how to handle any issues.

Take a hard look at your management team.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Shift to online media not the only change

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at Penton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Many of Penton's brands are well respected in their markets' communities. There's also a good amount of schedule flexibility.

Cons

When management goes bad, there's no oversight to correct the situation.

Pay attention when there's a mass exodus from a publishing group. Listen to what people tell you in exit interviews and then act on that information.

Off The Cliff We Go!

Current Employee - N/A
    Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at Penton full-time for more than a year

Pros

The flexibility is very nice. Work/life balance is great for now. Everything else, well... see below.

Cons

Management skill, communication, and lack of direction; these are the things the CDO Richard Stanton and his team lack. They've been on the job over six months and have failed to get anything off the ground, but he spins the failure as a success. It's a "startup mentality", which is deadly for a company that is well established. Startups fail 90% of the time. Every single one of Richard Stanton's startups has failed, and he's failing again. This is concerning because you would hope one would learn from failure. The environment is utterly toxic now with fear of more layoffs. He's outsourced most of the work overseas. To quote Richard Stanton, "I will drive this company off a cliff if I have too". Don't worry Richard; you're doing a fine job of that already.

It's not a secret that the company is trying to position themselves for a sale with the window dressing and all. But that's beside the point. This company's turnover is unbelievable; from top to bottom it's a constant revolving door.

Upper management needs to purge Richard Stanton and team. They've already done a lot of damage to this company. To let them stay any longer will only do more harm. The sooner they are gone the better.

Good company in need of some better trained managers

Current Employee - Editor
    Current Employee - Editor

I have been working at Penton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Co-workers are friendly and professional. There is a great work-life balance, allowing employees to work at home when necessary and generally allowing freedom to do your job without micromanaging.

Cons

Managers seem reluctant to accept the fact that the media landscape is changing and work requirements must be adjusted. Also, managers, while generally very knowledgeable about their industries, could use better training on managing staffs to get the most out of employees.

Reach down below the management level to more directly tap into the knowledge of employees. Managers don't consistently express the expectations of what upper management wants to accomplish, leaving the impression that employees are not receptive to the ideas.

There are better choices out there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Penton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible work environment, casual dress, some of the people you work with are excellent.

Cons

Does not promote an environment for getting and keeping top talent, key people are incompetent in their positions but rewarded because they are part of the "boys club". Lip service from management and very little improvements. No 401(k) matching, high cost of benefits, the more you make the more you are penalized if you work at Penton. Corporate bonus program, let's call it the dangling carrot, is WAY out of reach based upon the budgets that are set - just another placebo to make you feel like you are working at a better than average company.

Seriously? Change needs to be made from the top down. Turn over at upper management level doesn't promote growth or a stable work environment. Start listening to the surveys you take annually and effecting positive change, by giving it lip service only you show everyone what you really care about. The company won't change by doing surveys, only by your actions.

The emperor has no clothes

Former Employee - Digital Development  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Development in New York, NY

I worked at Penton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

That I was recently laid off and the company is essentially paying me to move on to a better company to advance my career. I was already looking to make a move, I am now able to do it full time.

Cons

The CEO is blind to his direct reports. They filter information to him and he believes without confirmation. I used to think he was a top notch leader; although when he fell for the story the new CDO and his staff sold him, I knew it was time to leave.

Check your egos at the door and start listening to your line staff to determine where to take the company or you will be back in financial restructuring as was the case 5 or 6 years ago.

Worst place I have ever worked in 30 years in the industry.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Penton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a job that pays a salary, even though the salary is below industry standards, and it provides health insurance, even though it's not a great plan, is expensive, and is only partially covered by the company. Otherwise...no reason to work there.

Cons

This company is currently being positioned for sale. It's very obvious. There is no concern for quality presentation visually or editorially. It's no longer a media company. It's now all about data. We are supposed to tell people we "power the possibility" when they ask us what we do. Yes, we are even told what to say. Certainly media is changing and media companies must adapt but this company is doing so without any thought or creativity. The office culture sucks. It's virtually silent and they have replaced our cubicles with smaller, uglier ones, leaving a lot of unused open space. People are constantly being fired. After we switched to a new platform, they fired the tech people and hired new ones and now we are switching yet again. They have plenty of money to spend on the CEO's whims but salaries outside tech are insultingly low. Nobody is happy but they won't talk about it. The managers are the CEO's tools. There is no loyalty or concern for any of the employees. Everyone there is afraid to do anything except keep their heads down and keep working.

Penton Media

Current Employee - Associate Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Penton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leave work at work. Some freedom to present ideas that are listened too.

Cons

Managament staff does not seemed to be properly trained on how to manage teams.

Penton Response

Jun 17, 2014Chief Talent Officer

Your comments are appreciated. We strongly believe that our employees should voice their opinions, and encourage you to talk to HR about any issues you may experiencing. This being said, at the ... More

Worked for Penton? Contribute to the Community!