Penton

Penton Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Penton CEO David Kieselstein

David Kieselstein

Pros
  • PTO is great with many managers appreciating the importance of work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• The flexibility of the work environment is wonderful (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Under senior management level, there is little to no reward for going above and beyond (in 11 reviews)

• Most middle to upper management are brought in from other companies (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company in need of some better trained managers

Editor (Current Employee)

ProsCo-workers are friendly and professional. There is a great work-life balance, allowing employees to work at home when necessary and generally allowing freedom to do your job without micromanaging.

ConsManagers seem reluctant to accept the fact that the media landscape is changing and work requirements must be adjusted. Also, managers, while generally very knowledgeable about their industries, could use better training on managing staffs to get the most out of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementReach down below the management level to more directly tap into the knowledge of employees. Managers don't consistently express the expectations of what upper management wants to accomplish, leaving the impression that employees are not receptive to the ideas.

Smart people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart people work at Penton

ConsSubtle arrogance permeates the culture.

Cronyism, Arrogance, and Blind Incompetance

Software Development (Former Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsThere are not many pros about Penton beyond a casual and loose work environment where, if you do not really care, you can camp out her for a bit until you find something better.

ConsThere is much cronyism and questionable competence in the senior software development executive management team. The top members of this team all worked together outside Penton at small start-ups and were brought in over the heads of more qualified existing staff in a block hire with no consideration of promotion from within. Despite resume statements to the contrary, this collective team has had little large corporation leadership experience and limited longevity in any one position. These folks are smart but inexperienced. They would be great employees at other companies; however, they are not leaders, have less work experience than existing staff, but come with an attitude of superiority and a total lack of understanding of how to get things done in a company with established products. If you do decide to work for Penton, you had better live in New York or you will automatically be looked down upon. The collective management team cannot be trusted, and all operate knowing deep down they are working beyond their personal skill levels. The Kansas City development team are all disgruntled and many are considering their options. Work here at your own risk.

Read the reviews carefully. Especially note with care the ones with a high number of stars for upper management has specifically campaigned internally to have folks submit positive reviews to offset the negative.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some time to do some serious introspection into your values.

Realize that asking your employees to submit positive reviews (as you have done) on Glassdoor to try to artificially increase Penton's rating and whitewash concerns is not a good social media approach. Official company responses to these reviews are humorous at best--actions speak more loudly than words.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAble to work remotely from home.

ConsCommunications lack in several areas.

This is not a place to grow a career.

ProsPTO is great with many managers appreciating the importance of work life balance. Location is convenient right on Pearl Street in downtown Boulder. The overall personality of the people employed here is enjoyable.

ConsSo many. There is a supreme lack of communication between (and within) departments. I was promised growth and advancement and have received none. When the topic has been broached I have been told I have to "prove" myself. As though the last few years of employment proving my skills and dedication aren't good enough. The company refuses to promote from within, choosing instead to consistently bring in outside "help". Reviews are the most unhelpful thing here and dictate your 1 or 2% raise per year (if any). There is no where to go, and no one to talk to. This company would gleefully yank the rug out from at least 50% of those employed in my office if it made us a couple more dollars. Absolutely no regard for quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing if you want to lose all the quality people you employ.

Had high hopes of finishing my career here that were dashed by bad timing....A-N-D

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsCompany paid well and encouraged face-to-face calls when I was there (versus hiding behind the internet and trying to sell via 30-50 e-mails a day, as some publishers do for cost-cutting, cutting of corner's, reasons.

ConsI had 4 different bosses within a year, a protocol, prescription for failure for any salesperson, as you are bound to find 1 out of 4 that you are completely un-resonating with (and I did, a non-salesperson, boss).

Hot Mess

Project Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsInteresting work, was a great team

Consmanagement unable to sustain a cogent strategy and allow their team to execute it

Advice to Senior Managementget out of the damned way

Enjoy the work and the people I work with and feel appreciated

Accountant (Current Employee)

ProsAlthough there is still room for improvement, good communication is a goal within departments and within the company, and everyone is encouraged to share ideas to improve the business and the work environment.

ConsOpportunities for advancement are limited in some departments. At times lack of cooperation between offices of the company can make work more difficult than it needs to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncreased flexibility in the work environment and the work schedule might increase both creativity and employee satisfaction.

Continuous Improvement, Management is REALLY listening

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsCEO is dynamic and communicative. Making the necessary enhancements with the company to drive performance while also sharpening focus on the customer.

ConsExtensive and diverse portfolio of brands, resource allocation, timeliness of response within some shared services, cross functional communication are all areas that are being addressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemain positive and dedicated to improving performance - continue to drive and invest in growth brands within the portfolio, particularly digital initiatives.

Management deserves the help it gets

ProsCasual atmosphere, great people working in the brands, interesting work.

ConsI’ve enjoyed working in an a-hole-free zone for many years but, unfortunately, that changed when the company brought in another layer of management between my old boss and me. If this guy were here to offer advice, guidance, best practices and new ideas, then that would be great. But to report to this dude? He’s completely ignorant of our brands, our markets, our business model, the issues, our readers and our customers, but he’s determined to throw his weight around and be the big boss. And it’s not just me. He also has supervisory responsibilities over other markets about which he is equally clueless. He doesn’t know our most significant readers and customers from Adam’s off ox, and vice versa. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before he does something out of ignorance that pisses somebody off threatens revenues. I’ve complained to my old boss and he said that, for now, I will have to put up with this guy because upper management believes he’ll lead them to the Promised Land. It’s sad. I really loved this job. After all the years that I’ve been here, I’m now actively looking for another job.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou wouldn't have to offer a $1,250 bounty for recruiting new employees if you treated your current employees better.

Worked for Penton? Contribute to the Community!