Penton

Penton Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Penton CEO David Kieselstein

David Kieselstein

Pros:
  • "Good work-life balance and friendly office"
    in 9 reviews
  • "The flexibility of the work environment is wonderful"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "If you are looking for a job which gives you no opportunity for advancement, a constantly negative workplace and no recognition for doing a good job"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Most middle to upper management are brought in from other companies"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Changing for the Better Everyday!

I worked at Penton full-time for more than a year

ProsPros: New Leadership, Improved Communication, Efforts to Develop Staff, Jettison Dead Weight

ConsCons: Each geographic office has it's own culture, and some can be very negative. The company grew through acquisitions and some employees still bitter. A long-standing salary freeze and no company contribution to 401K caused me to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work on Communication across the company, recognize employees contributions, share the wealth and incent your talent to stay.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

I am still here!

Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Penton full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe Penton Cleveland employees are the best in the city. Their talent, intelligence, skill and worldly wisdom are unsurpassed. (That includes a couple of the VP’s and middle management.)

I engage very little, if at all, with the other offices. Any connection I have had with them has been positive.

ConsCultures, procedures, communication, customers and the brands are ever changing. An employee needs to stay on top of it at all times. This of course can prove to be exhausting.

The benefits and salary are not competitive nor is there any reason to believe that it will change.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive management in NY is disconnected on the real day to day business activities. It is my belief that because of that, it could be the downfall of this company.

Employee counterparts are not held to the same standard

Employee (Current Employee)
Boulder, CO

I have been working at Penton full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe PTO is great. Some managers are very respectful of employee's personal lives and obligations. The medical insurance is not bad. Casual work environment, small perks.

ConsThe CEO is not interested in hiring from within. He does not trust his own workforce or management team, and is continually trying to recruit his own friends to join his team. He has a terrible reputation among his previous company/employees and I do not have faith in his decisions. He is self-serving, seems to be setting up the brands to sell out, and move on to the next CEO gig. We won't be sad to see him go. His goals are not long-term, but short-term to make himself look marketable.

As a result of his new regime, managers are unclear on their own goals and cannot adequately communicate the direction of the company, let alone the brands. There is no common goal or mission we are all trying accomplish, because brands are pitted against each other for resources. The highest grossing products are subsidizing the low-performing products.

Promotions are few and far between. Many high-performing, "valuable" employees are paid in "atta-boys," rather than promoted. Employees are told not to set high expectations for career advancement within the company because they will be disappointed. Those who take initiative are met with higher expectations of their performance and outcomes; those who slack off are not held to the same standards but enjoy the same compensation and appreciation.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent with goals and compensation. Hold everyone to the same standard, offer assistance to those who struggle in their role, or let them go. Lazy management affects morale, and makes people not want to work here. Why work as hard when my counterpart does not, and we're evaluated as equals?

Lots of talk, but no action

Boulder, CO

I worked at Penton

ProsLocation on Pearl St Mall, easy commute from many places being near RTD

ConsVery little ability to move up in position or even to do a good job with the quantity of work people are asked to produce. Time tracking in 15 minute intervals? Seriously? Is this a media company or a paper clip factory?

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp people help you, if you focus on just the productivity you will not be getting the best work from people. Learn how to treat people like people not line items.

Good experience but company is unreliable.

Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee)
Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Penton full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat young environment, learned lots of new things thanks to great peers.
Allowed to bring dogs to work!
Nice amount of vacation and sick days
Flexible, work from home some days depending on manager

ConsDepends on your division but seems they are not willing to invest time and people into making things better, just tried to get as much revenue with out investing. Understanding that many companies try this, I have never seen it that bad or felt the pressure as with Penton.

Compensation is low

Communication between departments is lacking

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more involved in what's happening daily, learn more about who you employees are and how hard they are working for you. Need more accountability for executives.

Incompetent management

Chicago, IL

I worked at Penton full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSalaries are decent, though uneven. Benefits are also decent, but not cheap.

ConsLike a lot of other publishing companies, Penton is facing hard times. But instead of looking for good people and good ideas, they are flailing around, trying different strategies, most of which amount to asking fewer people to do more work, right up to the point where they are laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue.

Decent company, bad pay, great people

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Penton full-time for more than a year

ProsLoved the people. Our company under Penton had a very laid back culture with dogs in the office.

Conslow pay, large workload, burn and churn mentality. "We're investing in talent" never hit the middle management

Advice to Senior Managementpay competitively.

Hmmm.....

Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Penton full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPenton offers Flexible hours and the ability to work from home if needed - in some of it's positions.

ConsNot a best place to work by any means but not the worst also. If you don't mind saving for your own retirement (no 401(k) matching) inflated benefit costs and ridiculous gouges if you become highly compensated then Penton might work out well for you. Cramped office locations, think of cattle in a pen.

Had high hopes of finishing my career here that were dashed by bad timing....A-N-D

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Penton full-time for more than a year

ProsCompany paid well and encouraged face-to-face calls when I was there (versus hiding behind the internet and trying to sell via 30-50 e-mails a day, as some publishers do for cost-cutting, cutting of corner's, reasons.

ConsI had 4 different bosses within a year, a protocol, prescription for failure for any salesperson, as you are bound to find 1 out of 4 that you are completely un-resonating with (and I did, a non-salesperson, boss).

Very depressing, Bush League atmosphere

Overland Park, KS

I worked at Penton full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI seriously can't think of many pros. Paychecks usually arrived on time, I suppose.

ConsWhere to begin?

Most people there are old ladies who have no idea what they're doing. This place is all about cronyism -- the old ladies in middle management try to cover up their and their friends' total incompetence, and then they try to blame the younger people for their mess-ups. It'd be laughable if it weren't so infuriating.

The benefits are awful -- they don't even contribute to a 401(k) and the insurance is average at best -- and they wonder why people don't stay for long. This place is seriously just a port in the storm until people find something better...which is just about anything. They don't even offer free soda or snacks: They got a "healthier" vending machine that was absolutely ridiculous -- it was the same, unhealthy crap except is was more expensive and ALWAYS disgusting. The office just has a VERY depressing feeling: It was like working in a non-descript dentist's office...no decorations or anything with personality.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of EVERYONE and start over. Employees in the Overland Park office literally just work hard enough not to get fired and they have ZERO interest in learning new things or in the advancement of the company or even themselves.

Worked for Penton? Contribute to the Community!

Penton – Why Work for Us?

Penton is a professional information services company. We engage and inform millions of professionals every day, helping them decide how to grow and solve their most critical business challenges. As a leading provider… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Penton reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Penton CEO David Kieselstein. All 93 reviews posted anonymously by Penton employees.