Penton Reviews

Updated October 28, 2014
2.6

Penton CEO David Kieselstein
David Kieselstein

Pros
  • PTO is great with many managers appreciating the importance of work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• The flexibility of the work environment is wonderful (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Under senior management level, there is little to no reward for going above and beyond (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management out of touch with the worker bees (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

I was a data analyst intern, not specific to one department.

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Boulder, CO

I worked at Penton as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility of working from home if needed, very good office environment

Cons

A lot of changes in management and personnel, even during my 8-month internship. I was all but promised a full time position towards the end of my internship, but management didn't plan ahead and did not have the budget to hire me. I generally felt that management lacked foresight.

Decent enough

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Penton

Pros

Good people
    Reasonable but not spectacular benefits
    Laid back work environment in a corporate setting (hard to find that)

Cons

Benefits could be better
    Communication/process is usually far too slow from top down.
    Little room to advance

Continue to work to find ways to communicate corporate plans for direction. Develop a better retention strategy for true talent - too many good people walk away with little challenge.

Negative vibe

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Penton full-time

Pros

The work-life balance is great. Opportunity for growth if you're willing to adapt and go where the business is. Customers are well cared for. Products to be proud of.

Cons

Negativity abounds. The decline of print is apparent, and it shows in the company morale. Employees on the digital side are trying to pick up the slack, but budgets don't allow many departments to hire. People are stretched to their limits.

Figure out how to foster a positive vibe in the office. Get rid of the folks who clearly don't want to be there and allow departments to hire people with better attitudes and skills.

OK place to work

I have been working at Penton full-time

Pros

Good people. Relaxed atmosphere. Free from micromanagement.

Cons

Pay is not great. Loose structure means undefined goals at times.

Consider keeping all employees in the loop re: long and short-term goals

Growing pains

I have been working at Penton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people with a lot of talent in certain divisions and groups

Cons

Compensation plans, advancement opportunities for junior staff, severe lack of strong leadership across the organization, communication between departments, management of individual business units

Take your "core competencies" and HR initiatives seriously

Penton rocks!!!!

I have been working at Penton full-time

Pros

The people, the culture, the work environment, the leadership, the exchange of ideas, the development of bringing Penton through to the 21st century, the collaboration, the activities of engaging people to come together more often, the opportunity to work together to give back to communities; and the ability to laugh out loud - at yourself or with your team. Penton rocks!!!.

In today's society and culture, it is a me-me, but a Penton it's a team, team, team culture/environment..

Cons

Always feeling I have to defend Penton as being a good/bad company. It's not a person, place or thing that make a person, place or thing better. Happiness comes from within and shines through an individual. Penton does have some "bad seeds" of employees and who are just unhappy individuals and spoiled brats, have fits, and spew negative rants on social media such as glassdoor and other company review sites. Like all other companies that have these "type" of employees --- GROW UP!!!!!

Employees look forward to participating in Penton's growth. Talk and meet with your employees more.

A sinking ship

Current Employee - Editorial
    Current Employee - Editorial

I have been working at Penton full-time

Pros

Great coworkers. Upon leaving the company, I worked with some truly collaborative and bright individuals.
    Work-life balance. Flexible schedules, casual dress.

Cons

There's little to no career development in this company unless you're in the boy's club. It is not uncommon to be shifted job responsibilities considerably with no compensation. My job function changed 180 degrees, and I was not given a lick of compensation. Furthermore, it was around May when I left the company, and I had no defined goals to measure my success for my next performance appraisal.

Little concern that management is actually listening to employee's concerns. There's a constant attitude that the company's outlook will simply fix itself with no innovation. There's a high turnover at Penton, and the company seems to be okay with the fact that they are losing great talent. Penton's a sinking ship with this kind of attitude.

Penton needs to reinnovate itself entirely to succeed. At its current pace, I don't see the company going anywhere.

Be Careful....Things are not always what they seem

I have been working at Penton full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance
    Casual dress
    Professional and friendly mid-level people
    Diverse portfolio of brands

Cons

No 401k plan
    No stability
    High turn-over rate
    Constant & consistent lay-offs in each and every department (please don’t be naive and think you’re safe, think “You’re Next”)
    Throw people under the bus type team mentality
    Glass ceiling
    Who you know, not what you know goes a long way here

Appreciate the talent that you have within the company
    Stop telling department managers to “lower employee scores on reviews”…how would you like you’re review lowered?
    Judgement of whether or not to keep an entire team shouldn’t be based off 1 manager’s actions

Great experience working on software development projects and collaborating with co-workers in delivering final product.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Penton as a contractor

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the developers and overseas QA staff in addition to the editorial teams.

Cons

Company is growing so work space was getting limited.

Would be nice to get paid sooner when working as a contractor. When I was there, contractors were paid three months after the start date.

Dynamic company, if you want to be on the cutting edge of media this company is for you.

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Penton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company supplied equipment is of great quality. Generous paid time off plan. Lots of support from management. Matrix organization so you get to learn from more than one supervisor.

Cons

Senior Management is afraid to do what is right sometimes, not sure if they are trying to save face or they really don't know what is going on. No 401(k) match is very difficult for those who are non-MIP eligible.

Keep in mind that your employees are your best asset and treat them accordingly.