Penumbra Reviews

3.7
Adam Elsesser

1. Manufacturing Engineering Intern

I worked at Penumbra

Pros

I had a very positive experience at Penumbra and am grateful for the skills that I leaned in design control and the experience of working in medical product development. There is a nice environment of teamwork and friendly collaboration throughout the company, and I felt welcomed as an intern. The internship program was well organized with clear expectations and help from my manager whenever needed.

Cons

I have no cons to share of this positive experience and would recommend seeking internship with Penumbra, Inc.

2. Love the company, but depending on your department, you'll have a different experience

Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Alameda, CA

I worked at Penumbra full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to work with everyone, open space so all departments can mingle on a regular basis, no one works alone, a lot of help within groups, given a lot of responsibilities right off the bat that you may not get at an entry level position, definitely get to work on many different things, work is constant and lots of variety, great for young out of college people, great experience and can work up the ladder quickly

Cons

Depending on the department, you're either respected or not. Extremely based on knowing someone within the company. Upper management is a bit biased and unrealistic expectations, will milk you for all that you're willing to give. Everyone gets along, but underlying hierarchy that no one talks about. Respect for the work you put in is sometimes not acknowledged. If you don't control and put your foot down, easily could work 24/7 and they wouldn't stop you. Sometimes no structure and upper management won't put their foot down. Lots of throwing people under the bus if not careful. You'll plateau at a certain point.

Advice to Management

Please understand the limits of your employees without working them to the ground to the point where they become burnt out. Happy employees who are willing to stay long term are based on how upper management treats them and how willing they are to have your back.

3. A fun place to work, grow, and do something meaningful!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Penumbra full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Team members are given real product opportunities from day one to do something novel that will have a real impact on something that people are going to use. The culture is one of open communication, and everyone has a voice that will be heard. It's a meritocracy-- if you work hard and generate good results, you'll be recognized fast.

Cons

Peers have high expectations that you'll work hard and pick things up. That said, the expectations in terms of hours worked aren't unreasonable.

Opportunity to Make a Real Difference

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Penumbra full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at one the biggest device companies prior to coming to Penumbra. That was a great experience. However, what makes Penumbra such a special place is that the company is tackling unmet clinical needs with our new technology, not just buying other companies and selling a good product. The company has a culture of putting patients first and empowering employees so that we can make a real difference.

Cons

Expectations are high and people are often managing several projects, but, by doing the right thing for the team people always seem to find opportunities for advancement. The company has a culture of rewarding people who are doing good work.

Advice to Management

Make sure to continue to focus on what has made the company so successful as the company continues to grow.

6. Great place to work

I have been working at Penumbra full-time

Pros

An environment where you get to learn and work with many talented engineers and managers. You also get to work on projects that matter and develop valuable engineering skills. You get a chance to see how patient lives are improved because of the hard work you do.

Cons

Being able to multitask is encouraged. There are various projects that need to be completed at the same time. However, individuals are encouraged to feel empowered and provide an opinion and solutions.

Advice to Management

Continue to instill innovation so we can continue to provide products that help patients and save lives.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Builder in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Builder in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Penumbra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people and great feeling to be helping improve lives for stroke and aneurysm patients

Cons

Fast paced. Lots of new products, so always needing to learn how to build new products.

Advice to Management

Continue sharing patient stories. Seems like executives get it, especially #2 guy, a VP who came from selling the devices in the field, he is always walking around in clean room explaining the products to doctors and speaking at pump meetings with patient videos. Executives do seem to care about the workers.

8. Good

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Penumbra as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Provide opportunity to gain knowledge about product

Cons

Startup work environment , more expectation

Worst Job of My life

Current Contractor - Production Builder I in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Penumbra as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

None...ok the only one I can think of is that some of the people on swing shift were nice.

Cons

Gosh where do I start..first of all the pay sucks..benefits unheard of. I worked there for one year and never was offered permanent employment. HR is a joke. The supervisors on swing shift are all stupid...they don't have any clue what the heck they are doing. So many rules and procedures being bent and circumnavigated just to avoid an N.C.R.
    Every Friday the Manager on day shift and his cronies would drink beer right after their shift ended in plain view of the people that were starting their shift on swing. Do you have any Idea how demoralizing that is.....This place sucks

Advice to Management

Stop sucking each others egos and get your heads out of your butts. There are some good quality people that still work there but don't get recognized because of your stupid "buddy system" where all the managers and supervisor's friends get promotions but not the people who deserve them. And most importantly stop being so friggin cheap and instill a policy where hardworking employees get permanent after 90 days not 10 to 14 months like it is right now.

It's a job

Current Employee - Product Builder
    Current Employee - Product Builder

I have been working at Penumbra

Pros

Getting a paycheck- but salary is extremely low and you will need another full time job

Cons

Working here- low pay- politics- if you are not related you will not get promoted- if you get promoted you will not get a raise- HR dept is two ppl the shorter of the two is inept and should be working elsewhere-

Advice to Management

Stop with the favoritism, pay better, stop with the useless pump meetings

Okay company, Great for Entry level in the BIotech Industry

Current Contractor - Production Builder I in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Penumbra as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to work in a GMP and SOP environment.
    Flexible schedule for school

Cons

Got my food stolen in the refrigerator.
    A lot of workers do not have degree or certificate. barely able to communicate

Advice to Management

When you cant even live your food in the fridge and nothing is done about it, I cant even trust any of my coworkers except for some.