People Incorporated

People Incorporated Reviews

Updated Apr 23, 2014

People Incorporated CEO M Tim Burkett

M Tim Burkett

Clients First. Treat people with respect, dignity and compassion.

ProsI love that we are a growing company and we keep expanding to serve more people who are considered hard to serve. Working in mental health services means working with stigmas and we work hard to ensure that our approach is person-centered and reduces harm.

My manager makes genuine and concentrated efforts to help me be more effective in my job and supports my career growth. Our company is big enough that if I want to do something else I have lots of choices!

ConsWe have a lot of programs but we are a big company. We need to do better at connecting people across programs.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to solicit positive input and constructive criticism from employees!

A company that genuinely believes in helping people with mental illness. The company from the top down model the vision.

Mental Health Practitioner III (Current Employee)
    Coon Rapids, MN

ProsI enjoy working with people in crisis. I am working toward my licensed and full-time employees receive free supervision.

ConsPossibly the waiting for a day or evening shift to become available, along with full-time work. I current work Saturday and Sunday (3rd shift from 12am-8:30am) and also fill in for coworkers. The company provides endless seminars and education in which you are paid, imagine that. Excellent instructor and guest speakers.

People Incorporated values high quality service to individuals with mental health challenges.

ProsIf you are driven to help people with mental health issues, this is the company you want to work for.
    -Guided by mission, not profits.
    -Huge diversity of services- lots of options to grow a career.
    -Surrounded by committed and talented co-workers.
    -Training department is excellent.
    -Benefits and compensation extremely competitive- especially for folks starting their career.

ConsWell, it's a non-profit and relies on state and county contracts for most of it's revenue. As a large organization we're able to get the ear of decision makers, but if the state decides to cut funding in a certain area this could negatively impact a specific program.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep reaching out to direct staff to solicit input and make us feel valued!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The staff was very immature,culturally ignorant and was set on staying that way.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPretty good starting hourly pay. Being able to affect change as an individual was the most beneficial thing about the work.

ConsWith restructuring it was basically a complete staff turnover. There have been several lawsuits,I can name at least 3 regarding discriminatory practices even based upon health status.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't manage as a friend. Do not become Facebook friends with those below you.

Some divisions of People Incorporated work well, but others do not.

Mental Health Therapist (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsYou will gain experience with many different clients.

ConsPoorly organized and management is disconnected from workforce and mission.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse your employees who do the actual clinical work to contribute to the overall plan of the organization.

AWFUL MANAGEMENT, GREAT CLIENTS

Mental Health Practitioner (Former Employee)

ProsThe clients were amazing to work with, they will teach you more than any textbook.

ConsEVERYTHING BUT THE CLIENTS. Management is jaded and crooked. They hire anyone to be a program manager. High work load, little respect to self care. No raises, ever. Poor communication. Sneaky transitions and changes at a rapid pace. No respect for long term employees. Take, take, take attitude. Bad reputation in the Twin Cities. Awful HR, not for the staff but for the management. High turnover, unhappy staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry appreciating your staff like we appreciate our clients. If you are hiring a program manager for a mental health program, make sure that they have mental health experience not just a fresh degree. Most of the time the staff at the programs have a degree as well and EXPERIENCE. HR should be made to feel safe for staff to come to with issues not fear reprimand....if the CEO only knew half the stuff that goes on...

ALSO...STOP TRANSITIONING STUFF...IF IT ISN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

Good intentions but disconnected from thier employees.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Benefits

Disconnected Programs
    Low Communication
    Limited PTO for New Hires
    Struggle to Get Time Off

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your staff as you would want them to treat the company's clients.

Great nonprofit, led by a very dedicated group.

Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Saint Paul, MN

ProsGetting up every morning knowing you are going to be working with a group of people dedicated to helping others
    Strong management team

ConsPay structure was a bit low but that's a complaint in almost any nonprofit. Overall a great place to work.

Good until the end

Mental Health Practitioner (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

Prosloved working with the clients, flexible with schedule most of the time, good coworkers for the most part

Consmanagement issues, budget issues. In the end I lost my job due to budget cuts and upper management not helping me find another placement at the company.

Good environment, good programs

Saint Paul, MN

ProsCompensation and environment were good. There were lots of opportunities for continuing education and training, free of charge, on topics useful to the employee and helpful in the job. The people that worked there were very nice and the program was changing for the good when I left.

ConsLots of meetings and a lot of paper work. A little heavy on the driving as well and then all the regular cons of working intensively with people.

Worked for People Incorporated? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at People Incorporated reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for People Incorporated CEO M Tim Burkett. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by People Incorporated employees.