People's United Bank

Be The First To
Add Photos

People's United Bank President & CEO John P. (Jack) Barnes

John P. (Jack) Barnes

Pros
  • Very good benefits so people tend to stay longer then other companies(in 7 reviews)

• Great people to work with; they all want to see you succeed(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very sales oriented with little to no thought about the actual needs of the customer(in 5 reviews)

• It is almost impossible to bonus because sales goals are so high(in 7 reviews)

Great place to work

ProsGood people, really care about your success

ConsPoor lending software which creates a bottleneck effect in workflow.

Best Place I have worked for

Lead Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsBest training is provided there. I was continuously given the opportunity to advance my education even further.

ConsSometimes it was difficult to meet your sales goals, but most of the time they did work with you to improve things.

Still a lot of growing pains

ProsLike any bank, you have many career options in other divisions/ departments if you have the interest. They have great strategy and vision as a company.

ConsThe strategy is lost on the employees by "burning and churning." There is a huge disconnect between what senior mgmt believes and what is felt/experienced in the field. A lot of great people have left for lower stress, greater recognition and higher pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementReconnect with the field - adjust your execution based on the challenges of what ACTUALLY takes place on the job.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Start, but a Long Way Up From the Bottom

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bridgeport, CT

ProsFriendly managers and co-workers, workload was manageable. Work-life balance was great - leave the office and no worries until you arrive at work the next day.

ConsYou are living the Office Space life - white walls, gray cubicle in the "cube farm" floor setup. There are ways to work your way to a bigger and better job, but opportunities are not exactly plentiful and the extra money you would make is nothing to get too excited about. That was just my experience - not necessarily the true reality of the situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunities for advancement - more programs in place to help you reach the next level of experience.

Too much on your plate

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) Bangor, ME

ProsI loved my immediate team... It was like my family. Time off was decent as well as benefits. Good training and an excellent management class.

ConsSenior management needs to ask more about what they can do to support the branch managers rather than just threaten jobs because of not meeting sales goals. The management class taught to the managers actually should also be taught to senior mgmt. Sales is more important than customer service. Needs to be balanced.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your teams and guide them to success. Celebrate the positives and learn from negatives but don't solely focus on negatives.

Former employee. Great bank to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWell respected in their communities.

ConsPerceived as out of town bank based in CT.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good place to start and learn some useful business skills

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsLearn valuable skills, good investment in job related education and trainings such as helping you attain expensive certifications at no cost to yourself, team environment

ConsHorrible pay. That's pretty much the only thing that truly bothered me about this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better wages!

Sr. Customer Service Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEasy job, handled teller transactions and opened accounts.

ConsLittle to no foot traffic in the branches

Advice to Senior ManagementIncentive should be based more on individual goals.

People's United Bank has a very corporate environment and offers good opportunity for advancement..

Underwriter (Current Employee)

ProsThere is a very team oriented perspective to working here. Team members are friendly and welcoming.
    Good opportunities for advancement within the bank to other departments.
    Strong ethical company values and culture.

ConsAt times, there is too much emphasis on overtime rather than hiring another team member. This causes work balance issues.
    Health insurance benefits are mediocre.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider offering more opportunities for additional formal training to stay current with new trends.

Peoples united Bank

Fsa (Current Employee) Bridgeport, CT

ProsHours are somewhat flexible
    Lots of PTO time
    Crosstraining everyone will learn how to do every title

Consis only focused on what their employees can do for the success of the company they do not car about the needs of their employees

Seven Day banking if you're in the Stop & Shop and have to work every other week

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with your employees not against your employees

Worked for People's United Bank? Contribute to the Community!