People's United Bank

Be The First To
Add Photos

People's United Bank President & CEO John P. (Jack) Barnes

John P. (Jack) Barnes

Pros:
  • "Very good benefits so people tend to stay longer then other companies"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Great people to work with; they all want to see you succeed"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very sales oriented with little to no thought about the actual needs of the customer"
    in 4 reviews
  • "No room for growth, low salaries, not much opportunity to make money, not enough promotion from within"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Customer Service Employee, of Peoples United Bank

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee)
    Newburgh, NY

ProsThey are closed on holidays. And opened 7 days a week.

Consnot a very good palace to work. Long hours and little pay. The pay is extremely low and its very hard to even get a raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is expected to work 6-7 days 9am-7pm

Terrible work environment.

Lead Customer Service Associate (Former Employee)

ProsPaid Time Off is the only good thing about this company. When you start they present you this awesome career path that actually never happens unless you are lucky and someone leaves on position above you and only then they will promote.

ConsI had terrible experience in my branch. I did pretty much my CSM's job because they were never there doing personal errands during work hours. I also love how they consider "Lead" position management when needed and when not you can pretty much be regular teller... No room to grow. And HR never resolves any issues despite multiple complaints on management and work environment. It's sad actually because for senior management all that matters are NUMBERS NUMBERS and NUMBERS (aka goals)...

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need new structure in branches... No need for CSM and FSM... And care more about employes then just meeting goals and incentives.

Horrible Culture, no growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Bridgeport, CT

ProsIt is convenient to work in the Bridgeport HQ if you live in upstate CT versus having to go to New Haven, New York or Hartford to work for a descent size company. Benefits are okay.

ConsTerrible, unethical culture. Morale is really low and people are stressed and internal competition is cutthroat. Career development outside of retail banking is pretty much non-existent. Base salaries are embarassingly low.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need a leadership overhaul

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

HIGH turnover- just look at how often the same position is posted- tells you something...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTraining, benefits, great customers, good hours, opportunity to further your education ( tuition assistance)

ConsHigh turnover, Headquarters in CT- so they don't truly understand each market area, low morale, incompetent regional manager(s) and lots of micro-managing!!!

What A Joke

Financial Service Associate (Current Employee)
    Wappingers Falls, NY

ProsIt's a job. It's a paycheck.

ConsThe monthly goals set by this company are ridiculous in the Hudson Valley region...1,000,000 in new revenue EVERY month...ha ha ha. That's nearly impossible in any situation. Maybe we can all try to ice-skate uphill as well. PUB doesn't even hold more than 5% of the market area where the branches are located. I'm shocked we've all haven't had panic attacks based on the stress this company puts on their own employees. Most of your peers cannot be trusted because they sell you out to get promotions...shameful because management encourages this behavior. There are much superior banks to work for. I'm heading to one in the next few weeks. Working here is like The X-Files, Trust No One. The customers and the employees aren't happy. Take a hint.

Horrible Financial Insitution to Work for and Bank At

Former Collections Representative (Former Employee)
    Burlington, VT

ProsThe employees and 401K match. That is ALL.

ConsIncompetent VP and management, horrible compensation (raised capped at 2.5% per year for EXCELLENT reviews), unqualified workforce

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management at People's United Bank needs considerable improvement. The management team in the administrative services division (loan servicing/collections/fin control is under qualified. They lack the ability to connect with employees and do what is best for them. The Vice President should be ashamed. He is completely and utterly unaware of the needs of the department and the employees have a very poor quality of work life. Employees are very underpaid and the ONLY way to eventually earn a fair wage is through transferring to another department or better yet, leaving the bank. The technology is pathetic. Branches and loan operations use completely different systems. The customers suffer because of this because they cannot get accurate information regarding their loans. I would recommend that any "qualified" candidate look elsewhere for employment and the VP and senior management be reviewed for performance and employee satisfaction, and be ultimately replaced. If you spent money on a college education, you'll make the same, and many times less than someone who never earned a degree. Pay rates are determined by the need to fill the position rather than qualifications.

Horrible Bank... Just Horrible!

Financial Service Associate (Current Employee)
    Fairfield, CT

ProsPTO, great coworkers excluding management

ConsPoor Management, all they do is sit in the office and surf the web while the non-exempts sit at the teller line and do all the work. then they occasionally come out of their cave to tell us how many accounts we need for the week and to get them at all costs. they hardly work 40 hours and they are constantly doing things that are against policy. Most of them get hired because of someone they know within the company. Usually family members. favoritism definetely exists. so if you want to move up in this company then brown nosing is something you should take into consideration. The products are not competetive at all. It almost seems like a bank from a third world country. The pay is horrible. I think I could work at a Walmart store and make just about the same or maybe even more. Very high turnover Rate. I Think they lose a couple employees every day. Overall this is not the place to work. Unless you like working for incompetent Managers that dont know anything about banking.

Advice to Senior Managementstart looking for management within the company. Theres alot of great talent within the institution.
    Micro manage management. They are doing alot things against policy and they are getting away with it. Raise the pay! Pay is the reason for such a high turnover rate.

Awful

Senior Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)
    Fairfield, CT

ProsYou gain banking experience. For someone who comes from a banking background I would recommend going elsewhere for growth or opportunities.

ConsEmployees are clique, dramatic, and act like they are in highschool. Expectations are too high and employees are not given the tools to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake an organizational behavior class at a local community college to understand your increase in employee turnover.

Financial Service Manager

Financial Services Manager (Former Employee)
    Stamford, CT

Pros401k Match
    Employee Shared Ownership Plan. Company provides you with shares of the company based on your tenure

ConsLow Paying.
    Unrealistic Goals.
    Incompetent Middle Management
    Lack of competitive products.
    Favoritism is huge factor for promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your head out of the clouds and see what goes on in the branches.

Very unethical Bank to work for

Financial Service Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Co-workers (non-Exempts) & PTO

ConsPeople's United Bank is probably one of the worst banks to work for. all they care about is revenue. we have to bring in business at all costs even if its not in the best interest for the customer. I mean c'mon in the mystery shop it says that you have to mention additional products to deepen the relationship. hmmmm More like deepen the banks pockets! The bank doesnt understand that customers are not stupid. They know that we are sales people and that we get paid to sell products. All the bank is getting out this is $25 accounts. why?? because customers dont trust the bank. The bank is also very very very far behind in technology. Online banking sucks. and supposedly Peoples has an app. nope, not quite. More like a mobile website that also sucks. Customers are constantly complaining about the website. and honestly customers are leaving to far more technologically advanced banks not because its cool. but because they offer more convenience. I honestly dont know who is hiring management. because these new managers that are coming in are just clueless about the banking industry. dont get me wrong there are some great managers in the company but most of them are just not qualified for the job. some of these managers couldnt manage a Burger King. I use to work for this bank recently and I was offered a better position at another bank. I did leave because they offered me better pay but the main reason i left was because I was tired of the sales pressure and the Unethical sales practices they teach. This company and its practices is one of the reasons why consumers do not trust the banking Industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople's United needs to focus on their brand not the industry's. If they want to become a big successful bank they need to start rebuilding 'TRUST" one customer at a time. Do the right thing for the customer. don't do it just to benefit the bank. and by the way if you want to grow, its not about how many accounts you have. its all about deposit growth. 80% of your customers have money elsewhere (trust me those customers bank with me now, so I know) and if you want those customers to bring that money over to your institution. you need to start doing the right thing for them and show them that they can trust you. we are working in an industry where "TRUST" is the most important commodity.

Worked for People's United Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at People's United Bank reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for People's United Bank CEO John P. (Jack) Barnes. All 108 reviews posted anonymously by People's United Bank employees.