People's United Bank

Updated February 28, 2015
Updated February 28, 2015

People's United Bank President & CEO John P. (Jack) Barnes
John P. (Jack) Barnes

Pros
  • Great People thought the entire state of NH (in 8 reviews)

• Very good benefits so people tend to stay longer then other companies (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Very sales oriented with little to no thought about the actual needs of the customer (in 4 reviews)

• Very aggressive sales goals without the technology support or infractructure to facilitate such high goals (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

It could be better

Current Employee - Lead Customer Service Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Lead Customer Service Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at People's United Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bankers hours and good trainings

Cons

Management has no idea what they're doing. This bank pretends its a big bank and wants to compete with BOA when its really a medium bank that should focus on local banks and customer service.

Stop hiring people from big banks, learn the culture, promote from within, and stop promoting ignorance.

What Know-How Can do?

I have been working at People's United Bank

Pros

You can advance quickly if you have the right connections

Cons

very disorganized, and the pay is NOT competitive if you are a current employee

that most worst place to work for

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager Assistant Vice President in Bridgeport, CT

I worked at People's United Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Was a great place to work for until they went public

Cons

the salary is not good and it is not what you know but who you know.

People's United Suck

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at People's United Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most co-workers on the same level as you are amazing. I met some really great people working there and a lot of the customers were great too.

Cons

Management is awful. Even for top producers, getting LTI (long term investments) referrals, selling checking accounts, and whatever other product of the week nothing you do is good enough. You are made to feel like you don't deserve a promotion, that somehow you are doing a bad job, so that when they do promote you from a teller to a "senior" teller you are made to feel like .25 or .50 cents is an amazing thing. My yearly raise was .10 cents which was almost taken away from me because I laughed, thinking it was a joke.
    If someone in upper management for whatever reason doesn't like you, if they even think you are giving them a dirty look they will do everything they can to make you want to quit. This happened to me with one of the market managers in my area (maine)

A lot of really greedy, power hungry people of weaseled their way into middle management and their behavior goes unchecked because many employees are too afraid to say anything.

The worst company I've ever worked for!!!!
    Please don't do the same mistake I made !!!!!

Current Employee - Financial Services Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Services Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at People's United Bank (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary could be attractive if you are a good negotiator. Other than that there's nothing else to look for in that company

Cons

Micro managers at its best. Very aggressive sales goals without the technology support or infractructure to facilitate such high goals. No one knows anything, you will often find yourself clueless when trying to help a customer and calling the back office its a nightmare often times one would have to leave a voice message to get a call back for help. There's is obsolutely no support from managers all they do is push push push for sales. Everything about this bank its mediocrity at its best. Hundreds of emails celebrating opening of checking accounts funded with $25.00 dollars every time a new account its opened throughout the maket. Systems are from Stone Age.

Micromanagement could be ineffective when it's not well balanced. Have the infrastructure in place and perfect it before expanding into such demanding and competitive maket like NYC or else you will only build a mediocre brand

Customer Service Employee, of Peoples United Bank

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Newburgh, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Newburgh, NY

I have been working at People's United Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are closed on holidays. And opened 7 days a week.

Cons

not a very good palace to work. Long hours and little pay. The pay is extremely low and its very hard to even get a raise.

Management is expected to work 6-7 days 9am-7pm

Terrible work environment.

Former Employee - Lead Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Lead Customer Service Associate

I worked at People's United Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paid Time Off is the only good thing about this company. When you start they present you this awesome career path that actually never happens unless you are lucky and someone leaves on position above you and only then they will promote.

Cons

I had terrible experience in my branch. I did pretty much my CSM's job because they were never there doing personal errands during work hours. I also love how they consider "Lead" position management when needed and when not you can pretty much be regular teller... No room to grow. And HR never resolves any issues despite multiple complaints on management and work environment. It's sad actually because for senior management all that matters are NUMBERS NUMBERS and NUMBERS (aka goals)...

They need new structure in branches... No need for CSM and FSM... And care more about employes then just meeting goals and incentives.

Horrible Culture, no growth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeport, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeport, CT

I worked at People's United Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is convenient to work in the Bridgeport HQ if you live in upstate CT versus having to go to New Haven, New York or Hartford to work for a descent size company. Benefits are okay.

Cons

Terrible, unethical culture. Morale is really low and people are stressed and internal competition is cutthroat. Career development outside of retail banking is pretty much non-existent. Base salaries are embarassingly low.

You need a leadership overhaul

HIGH turnover- just look at how often the same position is posted- tells you something...

I worked at People's United Bank

Pros

Training, benefits, great customers, good hours, opportunity to further your education ( tuition assistance)

Cons

High turnover, Headquarters in CT- so they don't truly understand each market area, low morale, incompetent regional manager(s) and lots of micro-managing!!!

What A Joke

Current Employee - Financial Service Associate in Wappingers Falls, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Service Associate in Wappingers Falls, NY

I have been working at People's United Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a job. It's a paycheck.

Cons

The monthly goals set by this company are ridiculous in the Hudson Valley region...1,000,000 in new revenue EVERY month...ha ha ha. That's nearly impossible in any situation. Maybe we can all try to ice-skate uphill as well. PUB doesn't even hold more than 5% of the market area where the branches are located. I'm shocked we've all haven't had panic attacks based on the stress this company puts on their own employees. Most of your peers cannot be trusted because they sell you out to get promotions...shameful because management encourages this behavior. There are much superior banks to work for. I'm heading to one in the next few weeks. Working here is like The X-Files, Trust No One. The customers and the employees aren't happy. Take a hint.