People's United Bank

Updated September 9, 2014
3.1

People's United Bank President & CEO John P. (Jack) Barnes
John P. (Jack) Barnes

Pros
  • Very good benefits so people tend to stay longer then other companies (in 7 reviews)

• Great people to work with; they all want to see you succeed (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very sales oriented with little to no thought about the actual needs of the customer (in 5 reviews)

• It is almost impossible to bonus because sales goals are so high (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company, But lacks better resource for "troubled" branches

I have been working at People's United Bank part-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been in the banking industry for 12 years and with People's for a year. The customers are fantastic. The products that are offered to customers really do encompass "a product for everyone" from personal accounts to business accounts.

Cons

The "behind the doors" environment. Branch manager and lead teller are a "do as I say not as I do" team. Spend most of the day in eachothers offices most of the time leaving one person behind the teller line especially during busy times. Expectations that come from the top and trickle down to the branches are unrealistic in some of the branches, especially mine. The attitudes of the management is DREADFUL. Especially when BIP goals aren't met. It is taken out on one person. I feel as though if "teamwork" was actually happening then the environment would be better. When Issues are brought to upper management, nothing comes of it but grief and being treated like a 3rd world citizen. Definitely feels as though if you're not willing to act like a teenager, then you are put on the outside and treated like a red-headed unwanted step child.

have more "one on ones" with individuals in branches. Making sure that after this happens, that there is no repercussions on that employee that has issues. Things need to be resolved or there is going to continue to be high turnover. Have Upper Upper MGMT come and sit in some of the smaller branches and adjust goals accordingly because a lot of them are way too far fetched.

Smaller beaches have no room for advancement.

Current Employee - CSA  in  Branford, CT
    Current Employee - CSA in Branford, CT

I have been working at People's United Bank part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Hours are not bad and benefits are good

Cons

Salary is awful! Advancement is very slow!

Decent/rote at the bottom, but seems like the red tape and quota drives get pretty bad at manager level and above.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Holyoke, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Holyoke, MA

I worked at People's United Bank part-time for more than a year

Pros

All the people I worked with were great. As soon as a customer stepped outside, everyone would slouch a little bit and start chatting, sometimes quite bawdily. You also get regulars, and if you are a people person it's nice to have a little regular community of neighbors and local business owners to chat briefly with every day.

They also have an awesome intranet educational system where you can sign up for any credential training for moving up the ladder or learning more about any financial fundamentals, all on your own initiative.

Cons

The official quotas that came down from the top were unrealistic and and stressful, especially for the branch managers but also for those of us beneath them. Most of the email and cross-branch communication was passive-aggressive "contests" to see who could beat who each month with quotas, and that soured the corporate culture a bit. Beating personal bests or even meeting quota was never fully a victory, because all the branches were expected to gladiator-fight it out every single month and have one winner only.

Also, it's still a very conservative industry so: no tattoos, lots of cardigans, and expect the occasional offensive joke from a customer if you are a woman or person of color or queer.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to start your career.

Current Employee - Financial Service Associate
    Current Employee - Financial Service Associate

I have been working at People's United Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a great place to learn the retail banking environment. You get great exposure to banking, sales, customer service, networking and building relationships. The experience has taught me to be entrepreneurial, and the importance of working well with others. Teamwork and focus is necessary to make goals.

Cons

Challenges are the same for any retail environment. You need to have to have good connections inside the bank to get things done.

Share everything you know with your employees to help them grow. Never show your employees a negative attitude.

Enjoy where you work

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at People's United Bank part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great atomsphere. Great employees who will make you want to come into work.

Cons

Sales driven. But it's a bank what do you expect

Great place to work

I have been working at People's United Bank

Pros

Good people, really care about your success

Cons

Poor lending software which creates a bottleneck effect in workflow.

Best Place I have worked for

Former Employee - Lead Customer Service Associate  in  Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Lead Customer Service Associate in Hartford, CT

I worked at People's United Bank full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Best training is provided there. I was continuously given the opportunity to advance my education even further.

Cons

Sometimes it was difficult to meet your sales goals, but most of the time they did work with you to improve things.

Still a lot of growing pains

I have been working at People's United Bank full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Like any bank, you have many career options in other divisions/ departments if you have the interest. They have great strategy and vision as a company.

Cons

The strategy is lost on the employees by "burning and churning." There is a huge disconnect between what senior mgmt believes and what is felt/experienced in the field. A lot of great people have left for lower stress, greater recognition and higher pay.

Reconnect with the field - adjust your execution based on the challenges of what ACTUALLY takes place on the job.

Good Start, but a Long Way Up From the Bottom

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bridgeport, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeport, CT

I worked at People's United Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly managers and co-workers, workload was manageable. Work-life balance was great - leave the office and no worries until you arrive at work the next day.

Cons

You are living the Office Space life - white walls, gray cubicle in the "cube farm" floor setup. There are ways to work your way to a bigger and better job, but opportunities are not exactly plentiful and the extra money you would make is nothing to get too excited about. That was just my experience - not necessarily the true reality of the situation.

More opportunities for advancement - more programs in place to help you reach the next level of experience.

Mediocre

I worked at People's United Bank

Pros

There is some opportunity for growth, but most of the time open positions are already filled before the "interview" process really begins

Cons

Get the feeling everthing is always a top priority when it truly is not
    Small town vibe

Worked for People's United Bank? Contribute to the Community!