People's United Financial

Add Photos

People's United Financial President and CEO John P. (Jack) Barnes

John P. (Jack) Barnes

A Happy People's Person

Branch Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at People's United Financial

ProsThere is a genuine feeling of community. Ultimately the entire organization has the right motives. The bank cares about the customers as well as the employees. They look to differentiate themselves in the market through their recognition program and support of community involvement.

ConsThe minimal negatives are the compensation packages. They are slightly below comparable institutions. Also it can be slightly difficult to transition out of regional banking into another area i.e. finance or operations. Clearly the bank's greatest need for employees is in the branches.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to promote from within. Don't lose focus on the community bank's values. Customers enjoy the specialized service and the personal touches. The employees need to continue to be empowered to make decisions.

A good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Ridgefield, CT

I worked at People's United Financial

ProsThere are many opportunities for career advancement.

Cons7 day a week banking and high sales pressure

Advice to Senior ManagementAdditional back office support is needed for the weekends. You can't have the bank open and the back side closed on the weekends and truely offer 7 day banking.

Great place to learn the biz!!!!

Financial Service Manager (Former Employee)
Bridgeport, CT

I worked at People's United Financial

ProsPeople's was a great place for me to develop myself and build a career. Though I have since left, I miss the meetings in Bridgeport Center and the comradery among the branch managers. I started as a teller and worked my way to branch manager by being selected to enter into the management trainee program. I would suggest to anyone looking at a career in banking to look into People's Management Trainee Program. The things that I learned in the program have truly helped me have a successful career. The bank knows how to recognize it's performers which really encourages you to strive for excellence.

ConsPeople's pay for performance program could surely be a benefit but the base salary for branch manager isn't up to par. Many people use the bank for training and continue their career else where.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll and all, I loved my job as a branch manager. I would recomend to the senior management to try harder to retain top talent. I have seen many promotions given based on seniority not merritt.

Great co-workers not so great senior leadership

Financial Services Manager (Former Employee)
Hartford, CT

I worked at People's United Financial

ProsWorked with a great group of people.

ConsFairness in promotion, differences in standards between various regional management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay close attention to the hard working team members in your branches. Peoples loses a lot of good talent by playing favorites and not giving everyone a fair chance at promotions, etc.

Horrible Culture, no growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Bridgeport, CT

I worked at People's United Financial full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt is convenient to work in the Bridgeport HQ if you live in upstate CT versus having to go to New Haven, New York or Hartford to work for a descent size company. Benefits are okay.

ConsTerrible, unethical culture. Morale is really low and people are stressed and internal competition is cutthroat. Career development outside of retail banking is pretty much non-existent. Base salaries are embarassingly low.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need a leadership overhaul

Worked for People's United Financial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at People's United Financial reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for People's United Financial CEO John P. (Jack) Barnes. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by People's United Financial employees.