PeopleAdmin

3.2

Susanne Bowen

Looking forward not back

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at PeopleAdmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

New CEO gets it, has the passion, cares about the employees AND the customers. Listens and cares. Crazy smart.
    Great management team, several of them are new to the company, but they are smart, talented, seem to work well together, care passionately about the customer and the culture, want to make the company great again.
    Investors are committed, willing to roll up sleeves and help, add value.
    Vista playbook and best practices are great training for employees - stuff you can use for the rest of your career.
    The company has a very strong position in their market, and for the most part customers love the company. If the company can address issues it has a real opportunity to accelerate growth and dominate its market.
    The people are great. Smart, passionate, hard working, help each other, team environment, just good people who are fun to work with.
    Good career opportunities with the company as it is hiring/growing, plans to make acquisitions. Also good career opportunities with sister companies in the vista family.
    Customers are great to work with. Genuinely nice, passionate, patient, understanding. Best customers I've ever worked with.
    I would have rated the company much lower 3 months ago, but I like the direction the company is taking and believe it has the team and backing to make it happen.

Cons

Product still needs more work, and there are not enough people on the dev team to do it. Company is hiring aggressively so hopefully this will be remedied.
    Implementations take too long. New "best practices" implementation methodology is supposed to address this, and early feedback from customers seems very positive. Company needs to be willing to course adjust if necessary.
    PA is trying to do a lot a once, there's a risk of doing too much and not doing it well.
    New management team must get up to speed on the business quickly.
    Need to develop more new products more quickly.
    Engineering team is understaffed. Company is hiring more, need to hire well and train them well.\

Kudos to the new CEO for soliciting input from employees and even more importantly from customers - keep it up, and make sure to act on what you learn.
    Invest in more engineering resources.
    Make the product easier to use for customers.

Energetic team serving customers who matter.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at PeopleAdmin

Pros

- High energy team, who care about what they do
    - Huge growth plans, which makes the place exciting
    - Serviing customers who really matter (universities and governments) on an issue that really matters (finding the best people)
    - Some of the funniest people I've ever worked with

Cons

Snack selection could be better. Traffic in Austin means the commute isn't fun.

Jetpacks to avoid traffic?

Don't listen to the recent astroturfing

I worked at PeopleAdmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When you get a break from non-stop meetings the work can be challenging.

Cons

I'm mainly writing this to alert people that there has been a concerted campaign by management to post fake positive reviews on Glassdoor. All good reviews from the last year were written by a few managers who are desperately trying to counter the company's well-deserved bad reputation. So please take the reviews with a grain of salt.

This company is terrible, don't work here, seriously. Morale is at an all-time low and people are leaving as fast as they can. The company is on a steep downward trajectory.

Treat your employees like professionals, not a disposable resource.

Company in Transition

Current Employee - Engineering in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering in Austin, TX

I have been working at PeopleAdmin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Folks, let's face it: each person's experience is their own—shaped by factors unique to their context, their ambitions, and their personality traits. Meanwhile you might be here to gather information that will allow you to imagine what your own experience might be like at PeopleAdmin. I'm here to tell you to keep an open mind.

The fact is: the PeopleAdmin that you read about on here is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. Much of what has been written is about a company fading ever-quickly into the rear view mirror. And of course, you'd expect that. You'd want to know that a company is acknowledging its faults and giving itself the best chance to succeed through positive change.

PeopleAdmin is a company in transition. That's the truth. And if you are investigating a future with PeopleAdmin, you need to know that. You need to know that you'll be part of a new and evolving culture—a can-do, flexible, teaming, hard-working, hard-playing culture of accomplishment. Who doesn't want that? Honestly, if that scares you, PA may not be the place for you at this moment.

I work on the technology side. We have a sad history of attrition. In each case, there have been good reasons why people decided to leave: leadership changes severed some loyalties, passive and/or uninspired management, and a general lack of momentum. Those are my own opinions, I did not leave, of course.

At the moment that I write this, we are putting new technical leadership in place. We are rebuilding our technical team with an emphasis on senior developers with practice-demonstrated software engineering skills and mid-to-junior developers with sharp skillsets. There is great synergy in that approach.

We've had our challenges with Agile over the years. Ask any company; have they struggled too? Of course they have. Nobody does it perfectly. We are no different. But we're getting the training we need to get better—training from people who write the books. We're collecting metrics and refining our process. Very soon, our Agile execution will be on par with anyone else.

People have said our codebase is difficult to work with. Yep, part of that is true. It was built in a time-to-market context and people did the best they could day after day. Our Ruby on Rails experience is not tangibly different than many in the industry: you get to market, then after a while, you struggle to add new features. So how do you puzzle your way out of this?

We're re-evaluating our architecture from top to bottom. We're identifying where our trouble spots are and one-by-one we're going to tease them apart and fix them. Many Rails apps use the out-of-the-box non-architecture of the framework. We're not going to continue that in our future apps.

The point is: we're progressively moving forward. We have a plan. And there is quality engineering experience to be had at PeopleAdmin.

Cons

Of course there are cons. I'll itemize them:

- A company in transition is not for everyone; you have to be okay with some uncertainty.
    - Yes, we still have lots of meetings, but we're focusing on making meetings effective and purposeful.
    - Lots of brain power has left, so we're replenishing.
    - Some people aren't on board with the changes, hopefully they'll change their situation or change their mind.
    - Commuting via 360 is soul-robbing.

- Stay the recent course
    - Continue keeping us as informed as possible on strategy and outlook
    - Keep surrounding us with consultants who give good advice
    - Continue providing us training
    - Continue hiring smart people with great attitudes.

Great place to work and learn!

Former Employee - Marketing Database in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Database in Austin, TX

I worked at PeopleAdmin as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful atmosphere, management listens and is generally open to change, new hires are treated as part of the team from day one, so much free food!

Cons

Very few nearby locations for a quick out of office lunch

Keep up the great work and continue to listen to employees

Tough but exciting transition

I have been working at PeopleAdmin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

So despite cons and turmoils that are going on in the engineering department it is a joy to work here. It has its times like any other job. The management really seems to be interested in the right changes to improve, and is working towards a good plan for upcoming work. Going forward I think it will be a solid group that is focused on the team, and making sure we are working well as an individual to that team goal.

They work is pretty interesting, and lot's of challenges. Challenges can seem overwhelming right now because of the recent attrition, but we are hiring. I do enjoy working with the members that are here. One challenge is the complexity of our code. It is a monolithic app that could use some re-architecturing to clean it up. We have started by bringing in a new architect to help lead the way, and looking for some full time help in that area.

Cons

There is no sugar coating things. Times are tough. Much of the deep brain trust has left to other opportunities, the development leadership is under change. There is a lot of pressure to deliver. It is making the job tough at times.

The app is complex and pulling on a thread could lead to some unravelling.

Keep telling us about what is going on. Be candid. Hiding things breeds fear. Get people in here, but get right people. Help keep distractions out of the way so we can get the work done.

Entering Growth Mode

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at PeopleAdmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Good pay and benefits, with bonuses, 401k matching
    - Unlimited vacation policy (work it out with your manager)
    - No dress code
    - Vista Equity Group experience, best practices, executive coaching and funding
    - Vista Consultants: smart, available, consultative/advising - never dictating
    - Entering Growth Mode
    - Promoting from within
    - Remote, WFH flexibility (work it out with your manager)
    - Seasonality aligned to High Ed calendars
    - New training program is extensive
    - Opportunity for career development through new projects, professional development, etc.

Cons

- Sometimes conservative (dull) culture
    - No lattes in walking distance
    - No equity
    - Recent turnover in development due to leadership gap
    - New training program is extensive
    - Cake at birthday meetings could be better

The hard work of recent is paying off. It's evident that you are empowering your directors to lead more projects. The clarity, vision and inspiration that you communicate is appreciated by all; keep communicating it. It's also clear that you are working together better as your own team. Consider cake from Sweetish Hill Bakery for birthday meetings. Don't pass up opportunities to be awesome.

If you're contemplating working for PeopleAdmin read this and those that follow.

Former Employee - Development in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Development in Austin, TX

I worked at PeopleAdmin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If your a history aficionado PA might be the right fit for you. Relive history everyday at PA in a live action re-imagining of Lincoln's June 16, 1858 speech "A House divided".

Granted I only worked at PA for a little over a year allow me to share with you my "opinions and observations".

Lets address the "Pros" first:

The anonymity: initially there will be great fanfare, hell you will even get introduced to the PA family, however this is a facade. A thin veneer that lays upon the depict, ignorance and fear that is pervasive throughout the company. You will find all to soon that PA is lost, not in moral sense rather the result of a corporate entity with no one at the helm and true north replaced with a desire to ensure a stake in what they imagine will be the companies future as they struggle to find a safe port.

The lack of insight and understanding as to what they are doing: You will be amazed at the in depth individual studies, opinions on opinions, and opinions as to what is in play and or "the works", only to discover no matter how high you climb up the chain of command (if that's what you can call it) they have no idea what is really in process or actually to be or can be "released". As an aside how can a corporate entity have that much tracking and "accountability" and be so oblivious as to what is really going on with their infrastructure.?

The "I'm not in charge don't blame me mentality": While there are some truly well intentioned individuals at PA tilting at windmills, without a true management style (hell even a believable, consistent idea of what might be down the road) PA's cancerous "committee" type mentality is truly a waste of passion and ability. PA has no vision and is grasping daily at straws. It goes without saying what happens when you have no direction, no ability to control the ingredients you receive daily and have WAY to many cooks in the kitchen.

Meetings: Holy crap if you love meetings and I mean L O V E them like Beyonce loves hair straightener, or Obama loves to Golf then this is your type of company. I swear to GOD I went to a meeting on whether or not we should reduce our meeting overhead only to have it tabled after an hour and rescheduled for another meeting. I do not jest. HAHAhahaha

So long story short If you N E E D a paycheck this is a great place to get paid and there is a reason PA pays the way they do. I have never encountered a company with the attrition this company consistently and cyclically endures. Now though that Vista is raiding and aggregating all of PA client information I do not know how much long those in charge will be there so get them dollars while you can.

Cons

Hum not many cons but in the interest of being balanced I will try to name the small few that come to mind:

If your a Harry Potter fan then you have to love dementors: There is a pervasive sense of fear and loss in the air, helps to ward away sales staff and those chatty type that like to share their day and water cooler style jabber.

Keep up with Facebook: The disconnect between departments allows you to just wait and wait until someone finally comes up to you and asks you where or at what stage XYZ is, allowing you the universal and always applicable reply "Its still in committee" you will never go wrong.

Art lovers and the artistically inclined will love the weekly slideshows and hour plus meetings that are accompanied conveniently with 2D renderings of where and what PA is; affording you days if not weeks of wondering WTF? they were trying to graphically represent and affording you countless hours postulating how a dyslexic, paraplegic child could have done them better.

Finally they do have an amazing selection of leftover food, in fact if you love to snack this might be the place for you. Granted the snacks are random, if you are seated close too or frequent the "break room" you can partake in the exotic; for instance: cold Pizza, stale Mexican food remnants and our favorite random rolled sandwiches that might or might not have been "mistreated" (read into that what you will).

So if the money and the nagging suspicion those around you are fearful of loosing their job and or PA being handed off to yet another VC interest , accompanied with the general malaise and soulless eyes of your counterparts staring back at you are what you are looking for this is indeed the company for you.

Wow really? If it happens once its an anomaly. Twice there might be a glitch in the matrix, more then that and its you. Not, personnel, business model or environment, product, and or any of the other things you attribute you meteoric product calamities to.... Hmmm I wonder after researching PA what and or who is it that has been constantly in play since the good old days? Look into your soul PA and you might not like what you see.

In summation PeopleAdmin is just like that distant friend you had in high school, the one you subtly acknowledged in study hall and gave a nod to when out at a social function, you just never really knew them. No real connection just an understanding between the two of you and a recognition that the other existed. In the end you never really think about them, yet once in a while their name is mentioned in passing reviving memory's of nothing really that remarkable. People admin is just like that, you will never miss them but wonder whatever happened.

Yep PeopleAdmin is just like that.

Lots of opportunity, not for everyone

Former Employee - Unknown in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Unknown in Austin, TX

I worked at PeopleAdmin full-time (less than a year)

Pros

PeopleAdmin is a land of opportunity -- for the right person. There are loads of technical, people and process challenges that will serve as growth opportunities for those that can stay positive while chipping away at big problems. If you can succeed at PA, you will likely be able to succeed anywhere.

Cons

There are a lot of politics going on at the manager and director levels, and some seem like they would rather lose their way than win someone else's. The scope of the challenges are large and will be a turn off for many. There is a large history of distrust between business and technology that needs to be overcome. A culture of process and bureaucracy has taken hold that introduces a lot of drag against getting things done.

Streamline process, eliminate needless bureaucracy, let go of previous problems between technology/business, hire smart people and trust them to do a good job while realizing they are working in less-than-ideal conditions.

A former start up gone corporate

Former Employee - Knowledge Manager Technical Support in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Knowledge Manager Technical Support in Austin, TX

I worked at PeopleAdmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not much. Big Kitchen. Location close to a nice HEB.
    Lots of lateral position moves available (not much upward mobility though).
    Pretty chill dress code.

Cons

Middle Management fights for the customers (clients), Upper management but certainly not the employees.
    Little, if ever, promotional consideration. They hire Management from outside.
    Used to be fun, with one day of telecommuting a week and occasional happy hours at the office. That stopped and it feels like a corporate environment (albeit in Jeans)

Training new managers and ALL employees in holistic 360 degree knowledge of the Product