PeopleAdmin Reviews

Kermit Randa
1 Rating

A Tale of Two PeopleAdmins

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at PeopleAdmin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My time at PeopleAdmin (PA) has been almost evenly split between before Vista acquired us and since then. I’m able to offer a unique perspective that’s a bit more objective and balanced than most since I've experienced roughly equal parts the “before” and “after.” Newer people who don’t know how things used to be might be biased and only sing the company’s praises, whereas people who were here long before Vista might also be biased, have rose-colored glasses of the past, and only paint everything current as doom and gloom. My intent is simple and to just be fair in my assessment.

I personally really love many of the changes I've seen at PA since Vista bought us. My sense of pride in my company and in our product line has grown significantly! The product – in my opinion – used to be less than inspired and many of my co-workers were complacent and satisfied with mediocrity. I know that might sound harsh, but it’s true. Accountability was painfully nonexistent here before. In the name of being “laid-back,” people did whatever they wanted without consequence and worked with a complete lack of urgency. This can be quite maddening.

Expectations and standards are considerably higher than they used to be (and it really shows compared to this time last year). I feel like the company has now been infused with a new life and purpose. The direction of the company used to feel uncertain and shaky to me. Our reputation with our customers was starting to suffer a bit as well. Not anymore. The new CEO – who is extremely down-to-earth, friendly, and very very personable – really knows what he’s doing. He has big plans for this company – plans to grow it and to position it as the very best it can be. This is the PA I’m excited to work at.

Cons

I’m not going to sugarcoat things: there has been so much change in such a short amount of time that it has been dizzying at times. And it’s left some people feeling very nervous and uneasy. With new ownership and leadership, it’s natural for people to feel angst. The nature of change is that people don’t like it – even when it’s positive. I get that. But PA needed to change.

My biggest complaint is that culturally it sometimes feels like two separate PAs: those who were part of the “old” PA and those who are part of the “new” PA. I don’t like that. It needs to feel like a united company. We’re not opponents on two different teams; we are all on the same team. Thankfully most of us have transitioned well and have welcomed the change, but not everyone. The division is starting to improve since most of the people who couldn't get on board have left. Apparently, though, there’s still a remnant of those who just aren't happy here and for some strange reason haven’t decided to leave yet. If you’re unhappy somewhere, find somewhere else to work. I get that this culture isn't for everyone, but please don’t be a hindrance for those of us who embrace these changes and these steps toward progress.

The main thing that keeps me from giving PA 5 stars is that the culture still needs improvement. I'm confident that as things settle down a bit more it's going to get better. It's not a bad culture, but it could stand to improve. The work is demanding though very rewarding at the same time. I completely get it that things are busy and hectic right now because of all of the drastic changes (PA just acquired another company as well last week - if that gives you any indication of the rapid growth mode we're in). I'm confident the culture will balance out more once the dust settles a bit.

I love the direction that the new leadership is taking the company. The goals are demanding, lofty, and very optimistic. I can enthusiastically get behind that vision. However, my advice to management is to try to more deeply understand what all is really behind the negative reactions to all of these changes. Don’t take it personally. Understand that it’s just human nature for people to not like change. Do a better job managing the change and try to mitigate anxiety before it gets out of hand. I understand that no one gets it perfect, especially when change is as quick and wholesale as it’s been. But try to stay ahead of it and please don’t let the naysayers and pessimists hold you back. These are all just growing pains, but we’re all going to get through everything together and stronger than ever. PA has gone from a start-up to now being a market leader. That’s exciting and I can't wait to see what’s next for us.

Change is good... Especially when the end game is the same for everyone.. GROWTH

Current Employee - Customer Care in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Austin, TX

I have been working at PeopleAdmin full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Its encouraging to work with an entire company of dedicated people. The staff actually care about their jobs and the work they do. Most of all, the top of the chain (the executives) are involved and always inspiring. They work hard to make sure everyone is happy and that we all enjoy the benefits of our hard work.

The company was just acquired by a major corporation but instead of gutting the company and rebuilding, like most takeovers do, they swiftly improved essential business processes and added value to products. A lot of the same people are around from before the acquisition and all the new people are ecstatic to be "getting in at the right time". Everyday PeopleAdmin is helping us grow and adding resources, whether its a new solution to automate and make our jobs easier or a new employee to assist in managing our growing accounts; you can feel the love. That being said, this place isn't for everyone. If you're looking for a new job but don't consider yourself ambitious then you should probably not look here.

- Intelligent staff
    - Several opportunities for growth
    - Free snacks and drinks
    - Great working environment
    - work from home opportunities

Cons

Its in the west hills... traffic is rough if you don't live in the west, and let's be honest if you live in the west you're probably just enjoying the view from the top of your pile of money.

Keep doing what you're doing

Still padding the reviews

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at PeopleAdmin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work can be challenging and my coworkers were some of the best I have ever worked with.

Cons

The last review that said vista didn't gut PA when they came in must not actually work at PA or is a vista plant, because that is exactly what they did. Almost all of the upper management has been changed out and not all for the better.
    Employee morale is at an all time low. Management has one goal and that is to make as much money as they can off of the customers before the customers go elsewhere. PA used to be about people, both customers and employees, and they made plenty of money being that way. New management isn't satisfied with that and wants more no matter the cost. Good employees are leaving. Management doesn't care. They feel if you won't drink the Vista koolaid then they have no use for you, no matter how good you are at your job.
    I can also tell you these positive reviews always pop up when there as been a lot of resignations. They want to get the fake positive ones in before the real not do positive ones get posted.

Value and listen to your employees! You are about to lose more really good people and with a little effort on your part you might stop so many leaving.

It's a new day at PeopleAdmin....

I have been working at PeopleAdmin full-time

Pros

- Great group of smart people... makes going to work enjoyable
    - New company values that empower us to rethink the way we do things and take action when something doesn't make sense.
    - Several new members of the leadership team - all are very focused on customers & making PeopleAdmin a great place to work
    - Cross functional collaboration has improved tremendously
    - Vibe is high energy and growing optimism
    - Great work gets noticed - and results in career progression

Cons

Product & implementations need work - but confident in the team that we have to make improvements

There is optimism about the direction that the company is headed, but a lot of work ahead to make it happen. This may or may not be appealing to everyone.

Continue focus on customers & take action on what they need
    Continue listening to employees

WOW - what a difference a year makees

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at PeopleAdmin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A year ago the company was sold, the old management was unresponsive to employees but now, the new leadership team is in place and it is an incredible change! The CEO, COO, and CTO all took time to talk to me specifically about concerns and solutions, important as I am remote! This is a complete change an a very welcomed change! I am very excited to be a part of this team.

Cons

As excited as I am about the new leadership, there is still some changes need and certainly will be growing pains, but we are moving in the right direction and making positive strides!

Don't forget about including the remote employees and provide feedback to employees

Everyone is Disposable

I worked at PeopleAdmin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

*Competitive pay.

*Unlimited PTO (w/ manager approval)

*Flexible schedule, including the option to WFH

Cons

*VP/Executives cannot be trusted since most have been strategically placed in the company by Vista.

*The culture is terrible and ominous. There is an underlying sense of fear throughout the office which is fueled by the firing squad who have been cutting people loose left and right.

*Employee turnover is at an all time high. It's hard to find a tenured employee and even more difficult to find one who will sing the company's praises.

*PeopleAdmin used to be about the PEOPLE; that's now a thing of the past. Your knowledge and loyalty is no longer considered an asset. And they won't bat an eye when you put in your notice - they'll just pluck another 22 year-old robot from the Vista-approved pool to fill your spot.

*Office location on 360 is awful. Unless you live in swanky Westlake, you'll spend a considerable amount of your morning/afternoon battling traffic.

When employees drive to work each day wondering who is next in line to be fired, you're probably not building the ideal workplace. Many smart and valuable employees have voluntarily walked out the door, some even without another job. What type of message does it send when unemployment is better than working at PeopleAdmin?

Energetic team serving customers who matter.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at PeopleAdmin

Pros

- High energy team, who care about what they do
    - Huge growth plans, which makes the place exciting
    - Serviing customers who really matter (universities and governments) on an issue that really matters (finding the best people)
    - Some of the funniest people I've ever worked with

Cons

Snack selection could be better. Traffic in Austin means the commute isn't fun.

Jetpacks to avoid traffic?

Looking forward not back

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at PeopleAdmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

New CEO gets it, has the passion, cares about the employees AND the customers. Listens and cares. Crazy smart.
    Great management team, several of them are new to the company, but they are smart, talented, seem to work well together, care passionately about the customer and the culture, want to make the company great again.
    Investors are committed, willing to roll up sleeves and help, add value.
    Vista playbook and best practices are great training for employees - stuff you can use for the rest of your career.
    The company has a very strong position in their market, and for the most part customers love the company. If the company can address issues it has a real opportunity to accelerate growth and dominate its market.
    The people are great. Smart, passionate, hard working, help each other, team environment, just good people who are fun to work with.
    Good career opportunities with the company as it is hiring/growing, plans to make acquisitions. Also good career opportunities with sister companies in the vista family.
    Customers are great to work with. Genuinely nice, passionate, patient, understanding. Best customers I've ever worked with.
    I would have rated the company much lower 3 months ago, but I like the direction the company is taking and believe it has the team and backing to make it happen.

Cons

Product still needs more work, and there are not enough people on the dev team to do it. Company is hiring aggressively so hopefully this will be remedied.
    Implementations take too long. New "best practices" implementation methodology is supposed to address this, and early feedback from customers seems very positive. Company needs to be willing to course adjust if necessary.
    PA is trying to do a lot a once, there's a risk of doing too much and not doing it well.
    New management team must get up to speed on the business quickly.
    Need to develop more new products more quickly.
    Engineering team is understaffed. Company is hiring more, need to hire well and train them well.\

Kudos to the new CEO for soliciting input from employees and even more importantly from customers - keep it up, and make sure to act on what you learn.
    Invest in more engineering resources.
    Make the product easier to use for customers.

Company that doesn't invest in it's people

Current Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at PeopleAdmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PeopleAdmin are the market leader for higher education recruitment software. You get to work with some of the top institutions in the country.

Cons

Mismanagement and poor execution have made driven the best resources out the door. The company is understaffed and the brain drain has eliminated most of the product knowledge. You are not able to serve clients as the number you are expected to work with is too high for any person to properly manage. management are number crunchers, with no real product knowledge to help guide their staff. They have tried to do internal training on the cheap resulting in poorly trained staff making mistakes that should not be made. There is little room for growth and the company, now run by Vista Partners has a long way to go before any kind of turn around will be achieved, just look at the number of sales positions open.

Focus on client and internal team. PeopleAdmin grew when the people who managed the company also knew the product,

Don't listen to the recent astroturfing

I worked at PeopleAdmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When you get a break from non-stop meetings the work can be challenging.

Cons

I'm mainly writing this to alert people that there has been a concerted campaign by management to post fake positive reviews on Glassdoor. All good reviews from the last year were written by a few managers who are desperately trying to counter the company's well-deserved bad reputation. So please take the reviews with a grain of salt.

This company is terrible, don't work here, seriously. Morale is at an all-time low and people are leaving as fast as they can. The company is on a steep downward trajectory.

Treat your employees like professionals, not a disposable resource.