PeopleAdmin

Susanne Bowen

A Company in Transition

Current Employee - Engineering in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering in Austin, TX

I have been working at PeopleAdmin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Folks, let's face it: each person's experience is their own—shaped by factors unique to their context, their ambitions, and their personality traits. Meanwhile you might be here to gather information that will allow you to imagine what your own experience might be like at PeopleAdmin. I'm here to tell you to keep an open mind.

The fact is: the PeopleAdmin that you read about on here is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. Much of what has been written is about a company fading ever-quickly into the rear view mirror. And of course, you'd expect that. You'd want to know that a company is acknowledging its faults and giving itself the best chance to succeed through positive change.

PeopleAdmin is a company in transition. That's the truth. And if you are investigating a future with PeopleAdmin, you need to know that. You need to know that you'll be part of a new and evolving culture—a can-do, flexible, teaming, hard-working, hard-playing culture of accomplishment. Who doesn't want that? Honestly, if that scares you, PA may not be the place for you at this moment.

I work on the technology side. We have a sad history of attrition. In each case, there have been good reasons why people decided to leave: leadership changes severed some loyalties, passive and/or uninspired management, and a general lack of momentum. Those are my own opinions, I did not leave, of course.

At the moment that I write this, we are putting new technical leadership in place. We are rebuilding our technical team with an emphasis on senior developers with practice-demonstrated software engineering skills and mid-to-junior developers with sharp skillsets. There is great synergy in that approach.

We've had our challenges with Agile over the years. Ask any company; have they struggled too? Of course they have. Nobody does it perfectly. We are no different. But we're getting the training we need to get better—training from people who write the books. We're collecting metrics and refining our process. Very soon, our Agile execution will be on par with anyone else.

People have said our codebase is difficult to work with. Yep, part of that is true. It was built in a time-to-market context and people did the best they could day after day. Our Ruby on Rails experience is not tangibly different than many in the industry: you get to market, then after a while, you struggle to add new features. So how do you puzzle your way out of this?

We're re-evaluating our architecture from top to bottom. We're identifying where our trouble spots are and one-by-one we're going to tease them apart and fix them. Many Rails apps use the out-of-the-box non-architecture of the framework. We're not going to continue that in our future apps. Outside of a better software architecture, we're focusing more on a SOA architecture; maybe even micro services. Lots of APIs. Mobile-first designs and possibly single page applications. All of these things applied where it makes since, of course.

The point is: we're progressively moving forward. We have a plan. And there is quality engineering experience to be had at PeopleAdmin.

Cons

Of course there are cons. I'll itemize them:

- A company in transition is not for everyone; you have to be okay with some uncertainty.
    - Yes, we still have lots of meetings, but we're focusing on making meetings effective and purposeful.
    - Lots of brain power has left, so we're replenishing.
    - Some people aren't on board with the changes, hopefully they'll change their situation or change their mind.
    - Commuting via 360 is soul-robbing.

- Stay the recent course
    - Continue keeping us as informed as possible on strategy and outlook
    - Keep surrounding us with consultants who give good advice
    - Continue providing us training
    - Continue hiring smart people with great attitudes.

If you're contemplating working for PeopleAdmin read this and those that follow.

Former Employee - Development in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Development in Austin, TX

I worked at PeopleAdmin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If your a history aficionado PA might be the right fit for you. Relive history everyday at PA in a live action re-imagining of Lincoln's June 16, 1858 speech "A House divided".

Granted I only worked at PA for a little over a year allow me to share with you my "opinions and observations".

Lets address the "Pros" first:

The anonymity: initially there will be great fanfare, hell you will even get introduced to the PA family, however this is a facade. A thin veneer that lays upon the depict, ignorance and fear that is pervasive throughout the company. You will find all to soon that PA is lost, not in moral sense rather the result of a corporate entity with no one at the helm and true north replaced with a desire to ensure a stake in what they imagine will be the companies future as they struggle to find a safe port.

The lack of insight and understanding as to what they are doing: You will be amazed at the in depth individual studies, opinions on opinions, and opinions as to what is in play and or "the works", only to discover no matter how high you climb up the chain of command (if that's what you can call it) they have no idea what is really in process or actually to be or can be "released". As an aside how can a corporate entity have that much tracking and "accountability" and be so oblivious as to what is really going on with their infrastructure.?

The "I'm not in charge don't blame me mentality": While there are some truly well intentioned individuals at PA tilting at windmills, without a true management style (hell even a believable, consistent idea of what might be down the road) PA's cancerous "committee" type mentality is truly a waste of passion and ability. PA has no vision and is grasping daily at straws. It goes without saying what happens when you have no direction, no ability to control the ingredients you receive daily and have WAY to many cooks in the kitchen.

Meetings: Holy crap if you love meetings and I mean L O V E them like Beyonce loves hair straightener, or Obama loves to Golf then this is your type of company. I swear to GOD I went to a meeting on whether or not we should reduce our meeting overhead only to have it tabled after an hour and rescheduled for another meeting. I do not jest. HAHAhahaha

So long story short If you N E E D a paycheck this is a great place to get paid and there is a reason PA pays the way they do. I have never encountered a company with the attrition this company consistently and cyclically endures. Now though that Vista is raiding and aggregating all of PA client information I do not know how much long those in charge will be there so get them dollars while you can.

Cons

Hum not many cons but in the interest of being balanced I will try to name the small few that come to mind:

If your a Harry Potter fan then you have to love dementors: There is a pervasive sense of fear and loss in the air, helps to ward away sales staff and those chatty type that like to share their day and water cooler style jabber.

Keep up with Facebook: The disconnect between departments allows you to just wait and wait until someone finally comes up to you and asks you where or at what stage XYZ is, allowing you the universal and always applicable reply "Its still in committee" you will never go wrong.

Art lovers and the artistically inclined will love the weekly slideshows and hour plus meetings that are accompanied conveniently with 2D renderings of where and what PA is; affording you days if not weeks of wondering WTF? they were trying to graphically represent and affording you countless hours postulating how a dyslexic, paraplegic child could have done them better.

Finally they do have an amazing selection of leftover food, in fact if you love to snack this might be the place for you. Granted the snacks are random, if you are seated close too or frequent the "break room" you can partake in the exotic; for instance: cold Pizza, stale Mexican food remnants and our favorite random rolled sandwiches that might or might not have been "mistreated" (read into that what you will).

So if the money and the nagging suspicion those around you are fearful of loosing their job and or PA being handed off to yet another VC interest , accompanied with the general malaise and soulless eyes of your counterparts staring back at you are what you are looking for this is indeed the company for you.

Wow really? If it happens once its an anomaly. Twice there might be a glitch in the matrix, more then that and its you. Not, personnel, business model or environment, product, and or any of the other things you attribute you meteoric product calamities to.... Hmmm I wonder after researching PA what and or who is it that has been constantly in play since the good old days? Look into your soul PA and you might not like what you see.

In summation PeopleAdmin is just like that distant friend you had in high school, the one you subtly acknowledged in study hall and gave a nod to when out at a social function, you just never really knew them. No real connection just an understanding between the two of you and a recognition that the other existed. In the end you never really think about them, yet once in a while their name is mentioned in passing reviving memory's of nothing really that remarkable. People admin is just like that, you will never miss them but wonder whatever happened.

Yep PeopleAdmin is just like that.

Lots of opportunity, not for everyone

Former Employee - Unknown in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Unknown in Austin, TX

I worked at PeopleAdmin full-time (less than an year)

Pros

PeopleAdmin is a land of opportunity -- for the right person. There are loads of technical, people and process challenges that will serve as growth opportunities for those that can stay positive while chipping away at big problems. If you can succeed at PA, you will likely be able to succeed anywhere.

Cons

There are a lot of politics going on at the manager and director levels, and some seem like they would rather lose their way than win someone else's. The scope of the challenges are large and will be a turn off for many. There is a large history of distrust between business and technology that needs to be overcome. A culture of process and bureaucracy has taken hold that introduces a lot of drag against getting things done.

Streamline process, eliminate needless bureaucracy, let go of previous problems between technology/business, hire smart people and trust them to do a good job while realizing they are working in less-than-ideal conditions.

Not bad, but Management needs some help

I worked at PeopleAdmin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay was on par with other companies, time-off was good as long as your manager was flexible (some were some were not). Discourages tele-commuting, but would be allowed on rare occasions. Management spent a lot of time and effort talking to the employees, however; they kept most information very close to the vest and would not share much with employees.

Cons

Managers care highly about the amount of time that you are in the office. Very little training. All of my training was self taught, with a lot on my own time (because I wanted to excel at my job). Management does not consider training very valuable. Management discourages training that does not directly affect your position. Example: I was not in the Product Development Department, but I wanted to learn Ruby on Rails (the language that PeopleAdmin uses) my manager discouraged me, tell me that it was a waste of time.

Have a real training program for your employees.

A former start up gone corporate

Former Employee - Knowledge Manager Technical Support in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Knowledge Manager Technical Support in Austin, TX

I worked at PeopleAdmin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not much. Big Kitchen. Location close to a nice HEB.
    Lots of lateral position moves available (not much upward mobility though).
    Pretty chill dress code.

Cons

Middle Management fights for the customers (clients), Upper management but certainly not the employees.
    Little, if ever, promotional consideration. They hire Management from outside.
    Used to be fun, with one day of telecommuting a week and occasional happy hours at the office. That stopped and it feels like a corporate environment (albeit in Jeans)

Training new managers and ALL employees in holistic 360 degree knowledge of the Product

Nice people, avoid the company take a quick position for the cash and then move on. No longevity.

Current Employee - An Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - An Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at PeopleAdmin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Again the staff.
    * The industry.
    * The money
    * The hours and "working from home".
    * Vacation time seems unlimited.

Cons

* Wow beyond disorganized and hostile.
    * Dog eat dog, 2 employees per week leave or are asked to. Everyone is on edge.
    * Newly acquired by venture Capital firm Vista... This is a churn and burn firm.
    * Location, Location, Location.
    * Management, what management?
    * A lot of meetings.... I mean a lot of synthetic pat yourself on the back crap. A lot.
    * This place is going down quick, I have been here over a year and it just seems to go down hill a little more every day.
    * Enmity among supervisory staff/department heads and any new employee. They will smile to your face and stab you in the back. Haha It's like Game of "Throats" here now.

Realize what is happening and stop it before its waaaaay to late, there are so many jockeying for position; and Vista although cash heavy is gutting the only reason anyone would stay with the firm. You can make as much doing so many more interesting things and not have to deal with the decisive staff, goals and the culture. Something needs to change and I don't anticipate throwing cash at it will fix the issue.

Great company, good people, bad management.

Former Employee - Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at PeopleAdmin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Location has great view of nature
    * Excellent Kitchen with free drinks for employees
    * Flexible schedule
    * Small company atmosphere

Cons

* Short-sighted, non-degreed management and technical leads in critical departments
    * IT staff lacks IT expertise, those with expertise are not allowed to promote industry standard techniques for fear of hindering ongoing operations
    * Lack of documentation and knowledge sharing for new hires; "figure it out youself", that's what we hired you for, or find another job, mentality

Company needs qualified people to manage smart dev people. Managers should have an idea of what their technical people are doing, in order to understand and see through misinformation from other, non-degreed, inexperienced, technical leads.

This place wore me out, it's a burn out factory

I worked at PeopleAdmin

Pros

Fun social group of employees, free beer and food on occasion.

Cons

This place doesn't understand the value or it's employees. Busting it to provide for this company doesn't get much recognition, except for a few who are in with the 'management clique' or so it seems. Not much advancement, there are plenty of opportunities for linear moves, but actual advancement. Also they constantly change the titles of existing jobs. Lots of frustration here.

Care about and listen to your employees, don't just do the typical dog and pony show and say "We hear you", your actions prove either you don't hear or don't care.

...and it had so much potential

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at PeopleAdmin

Pros

The majority of people who comprise the staff at PA are fun, intelligent, hard-working and have a strong desire to make good things happen for the company. The market they serve is great and the business' main strength is that is in such a great position to remain stable.

Cons

Senior management has historically been very slow to move on any improvements to the products and processes it employees. Once leadership finally comes around to a new idea that has been proven in many other SaaS companies, the execution of the plan put in place to implement it is inevitably blocked by politicking and a massive misunderstanding of where it's strengths and weakness are. Senior Management also has a habit of glossing over issues that range from slight all the way up to flat out bald-face lying. In start-up mode, the company was an exciting place to work and because of the strength of the business idea, the company grew at a rapid pace in terms of sales. However, mistakes made early on in terms of keeping the product evergreen and making business decisions that devalued its employees and slowly ruined the culture that it once enjoyed. Once the company was acquired in 2009 by a venture capitol firm, leadership changed, and the company changed, but there were so many process, product, and culture issues that had been brewing for so long that the talk of leading the company into a bright future felt (and was) disingenuous. The first major move of the new regime was to fire 10% of the workforce, freeze raises indefinitely, stop profit sharing, and change the admittedly flawed bonus program such that everyone's take home pay took a significant hit. The old leadership was blinded to the issues that they created by the fact that the company was increasingly profitable and as long as the money came in, it was all good to them. Because if the numbers always looking good, I am sure that the venture capitol firm that acquired PA had no idea what a true mess things had become and hence had no understanding of the true impact that their austerity measures really had. The same old trends of undervaluing employees and being generally reluctant on investing in the company in any intelligent way continued to erode the company from the inside out with most of the frustrated veteran employees leaving for greener pastures. There have been changes made in the company since then which supposedly have addressed some of the issues, but the experience that the company always relied on (without knowing it) is gone. PA is a very different company now than the one it was even 4 years ago and that may be good to some, but to others who once saw the true potential of the market they served and the talent that had once had on board, it is a sad shell.

1) Value your people.
    2) Value your market/clients
    3) Be more transparent
    4) Give up any hope of ever being a major player in the Austin SaaS community.

Engineer

Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at PeopleAdmin

Pros

You like to work downtown for a medium-sized company doing Ruby on Rails development. Successful privately held company with few layoffs.

Cons

Company is run like a customer service company that happens to have a software team. As a result, engineering staff is submitted to the same goofiness you get with non-professional positions.

Remove the nepotism that permeates the company between the owners and the management staff. Treat the customer service side like you do now, but allow the development side of the house to operate as the professionals they are.