Peoples Jewellers

Updated August 23, 2014
Updated August 23, 2014
2.4

Theo Killion

Good place as long as your sales are up

Former Employee - Jewellery Consultant
    Former Employee - Jewellery Consultant

I worked at Peoples Jewellers part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are awesome, My manager was amazing. Co-Workers willing to help you make a sale. Lots of incentives. Benefits for Full Time and Part time over 25 hours. Easy work, lots of down time. Training provided. Employee Discount and employee shopping events.

Cons

The upper management was running the store into the ground and didn't know how to motivate. Expectations to get credit applications by any means. Calling ALL THE TIME, whether it be for a event, a diamond bond, an upcoming sale--you are always calling customers. You had to suggest tradeups to customers with Peoples diamonds, which often offended them. If your sales were down, you had to answer for it, even if you were in an area with no work/money around...weekly coaching. Sales targets are sometimes unachievable.

Stop treating your managers so badly, the employees notice thus causing you turnover.

Good company to work for before it became American

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Peoples Jewellers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It felt like a big family atmosphere and everyone was productive

Cons

Too many women with egos that need to be stroked and not enough intelligent business decisions.

Need to take a look at were the front lines are going

Least challenging position of all time

Current Employee - Retail Salesperson in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I have been working at Peoples Jewellers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy, non-challenging, requires no education

Cons

Boring, non-challenging, little room for growth, favoritism, jealousy from other employees if you made a sale

My colleagues are wonderful to work with

Current Employee - Jewellery Consultant
    Current Employee - Jewellery Consultant

I have been working at Peoples Jewellers

Pros

Love Jewellery, love making people happy!

Cons

Push for credit In a recessive economy is unrealistic

Ensure consistency in management team....increase pay for Jewellery Consultants. $10 - 11.00 an hour is draconian.

Unrealistic objectives mean targets are difficult to achieve

Current Employee - Store Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Peoples Jewellers

Pros

Bonus payouts can be quite lucrative

Employee discounts are generous

A lot of training is invested in employees

Work with lovely people at store level

Cons

Targets are overstated to impress shareholders, meaning it's difficult to achieve bonuses

Incompetent senior management

Unrealistic expectations for warranty sales and credit applications

CEO information needs to be updated, Neal Goldberg is no longer CEO of this company, he is deceased. CEO is Theo Killion currently.

OK

I have been working at Peoples Jewellers

Pros

talk to customers and try to help them when they need something,

Cons

have competitions with team work.

A mess where nothing is done properly

I worked at Peoples Jewellers

Pros

There are none other than the commission (if you are comparing to no commission), and the benefits if you work enough hours to recieve them.

Cons

The company has the oldest and most useless system, nothing works the way it should, and nothing is done properly.

I Am Proud To Be Part of Peoples Jewellers.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Peoples Jewellers

Pros

Peoples is Canada's largest Jeweller - nearly 150 stores, & we've been around for almsot 100 years. We've survived Bankruptcies, Recessions & Depressions. This gives me a great sense of security, no matter what may happen in the economic world, that I will always have a job tomorrow.
    I have a spectacular group of people working for me, as well a with me & above me. I have a Regional Manager now that does not take favorites. He does not allow "Divas" to run our lives & does not allow anyone to get away with things that others do not. It's a fair company that has just put hundreds of people through the famous DCA Diamond Course (worth $1000 to take on your own) & believes in Customer Service - a key point that many retailers have forgotten about.
    Our merchandise & value is the best I've seen out there - we can now offer Canadian Certified Diamonds for the same (or very close) price as non-Canadian of the same quality. Our showcases are full of the best product selection I've ever seen from Peoples. We keep our mark-up extremely low (which is why we don't discount much), so I know the price I'm offering my guest is the best value without having to say it's "50% Off" or "I'll give you $__ off".
    We (including our sister stores Mappins, Zales & Gordons) are the only jeweller you can get a nation-wide LIFETIME warranty to cover end-to-end repairs - you buy it once & it covers your repairs & maintenance FOREVER! And 100 Refund or Exchange policy - who else has that?
    I certainly can't think of any other jeweller I'd rather work for. And we're not going anywhere anytime soon!

Cons

As with any large company comes a large number of policies & procedures. I don't usually consider this a "Con", but it cuts back the freedom to order & discount that independant & smaller retailers can offer. With so many employees, though, there is a lot of room for abuse when we are given these freedoms, & I've known many people in the past to take it upon themselves to make their own rules. These people usually resulted in some pretty big losses for the company, even though they thought they were making us $$. And of course they're no longer with us (and usually like to bad-mouth the company).
    And, of course, there were some mistakes made at the corporate level going into the recession that left many without jobs, & most of us without pay increases for a very long time. As far as people who actually worked in the stores, though, our jobs were safe! We've seen a lot of ups & downs & always recover!

Know the policies & procedures, & don't make favorites. Be proud & take care of your clients.
    Violating policy will only get you fired, & can lead good people down the wrong path. If you don't know something, call someone who does or flip open the Operations Manual.
    When you start making favorites, you create "Divas", who might seem like they're making you lots of $$, but will make your life hell, as well as the lives of the good people working around them. In any form of commission retail, it happens very easily. Ensure that you are enforcing the same policies for everyone, not just one or two. Don't let "Divas" run you schedules, your store, or your life.
    Be proud to manage your store or region - defend what's right. Don't pre-judge your clients & don't allow staff to do so either. Be good to your company & they will be good to you. Have sympathy & be kind - a genuine smile goes a long way.

40-50 People Quit Peoples in Calgary since May 2010.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Peoples Jewellers

Pros

The Regional Manager will buy you new cloths and shoes to work for him.

Cons

RM & Vince Price are the worst people in the company. They lie, backstabb & treat pets better than there employees. The employees that made the most money for the company have all quit!!! We have never seen such a company on a downward spirial.

The new mgmt tream is untrustworthy!! They lie to employees and customers!! This company has gone downhill since May. There has been at least 45 people quit from Managers to very good employees leave. People that had top sales to people that have no knowledge now.
    GREAT JOB!!! And they wonder why they aren't profitable...... Go figure.....

Great Job, Terrible management

Former Employee - Keyholder
    Former Employee - Keyholder

I worked at Peoples Jewellers

Pros

The product is extremely interesting and you get to learn a lot about geology and gemstones and goldsmiths. The customers are mostly great as well. I worked with some awesome people.

Cons

They are not doing well and they cut our wage (commission) and the next week flew all the upper management out to a lavish Christmas party in Dallas Texas at the home of another manager. The manager was in our area and was promoted and given some major perks with regards to her new home in Dallas (renos and whatnot). Also every girl that worked in my area that decided to have a baby was punished in various ways for taking their full mat leave. Things like "accidentally" having their benefits cancelled, threatening to transfer 2 girls to a store that was a 2 hour drive away, withholding raises, giving the worst selling shifts when they came back, picking on them for dress code when other people on that shift were actually violating dress code and they weren't, not giving keys to the store back because they "didn't know if you can be counted on anymore". And thats all I know of I have heard there are more problems now with other girls that have had babies since I left.

If you choose to hire 5 girls in their mid 20s that just got married you are likely going to have a lot on maternity leave all at once. Also they need to keep in mind that these girls are actually protected under provincial law and that the group that this store lost specifically was an exceptionally strong team that all got along well and worked well together. I have spoken to dozens of customers that have said they are very unhappy with the current staff there and they will no longer shop there. You need to keep the good people you have and pay them a fair wage whether they have children or not. I was not the only person this was done to so it wasn't just me.

Peoples Jewellers Photos

The wind was blowing hard that day.....

+ Add Photo