Peoples Jewellers Reviews

2.4
Theo Killion

1. Not Recommended

I have been working at Peoples Jewellers part-time

Pros

Great way to interact with new people. Clean and secure environment. Interesting. Lots of opportunities to learn.

Cons

Poor employee appreciation. Greedy company. Too strict. Changes policies regularly. Discriminatory to age and appearances. Too competitive.

Advice to Management

I've worked at People's now for a year, and I was completely on board with it when I first started, but now that I know more about how the company works I am almost ashamed to admit I work here.... Forcing your workers to say "We're Canada's number one Diamond store!" To every guest is making people actually stop coming to us... ( guests left complaints about our greeting being too rude and in your face ) I've had customers complain about how our stores make everyone feel like they mean nothing if they don't spend a lot or get all the fancy warranties and promotional pages. The fact we call only big spenders our "Preffered Guests" makes those who don't spend a lot feel unappreciated. The prices are also much too high.... and they're just rising more and more. Personally my manger is all for it, saying we can make bigger sales, and bigger sales means more commission for us. Personally commission means nothing to me. It's an added bonus sure, but it shouldn't be the only reason I go in to work. My manager has actually told me "If someone's dumb enough to buy something expensive that may break, who cares it's money in your pocket and if they get the warranty they'll be covered, if not, even more cash!" It's absolutely disturbing how much disrespect I see, all for an extra 1-3% increase from a sale. It's downright rude to motivate workers by putting them against each other with competitions and worse to teach them how to make a guest go past their comfort price just so we get an extra few bucks...

2. An honest look

Current Employee - Jewelry Consultant

I have been working at Peoples Jewellers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company is the largest and has incredible buying power. Some coworkers are incredible to work with and very team oriented. Depending on the store it can be very professional and very fun. In someone instances you work with people who have more knowledge than you can imagine and the clientele can be very rewarding.

Cons

The store is what determines your success or failure. Many coworkers can be greedy, selfish and incredibly petty. Some management has very poor team leading abilities, team motivational speaking, team training and organizational aspects are clearly depending on the management that has been selected. A poor focus on trust and respect for other individuals. Can make a person have poor self image and lead an individual to live to work as opposed to working to live.

Advice to Management

Managers need to learn to train employees in an environment that is motivating and uplifting. Teaching how to trust and build teams and team players but not push everyone out of the way. To know how to treat both customers and employees. To provide an environment that stands for the compassion that this business is built around. We are to create an atmosphere that is inviting and respectful of all. Some managers and district managers need to be aware that others take their careers serious and need acknowledgment that they are going somewhere with their job and are taken seriously in their environment. Employees create the pay cheques as much as the guests that purchase from them.

3. Jewellery Consultant

Pros

-there was commission -flexible hours all months except November, December, feb, and may

Cons

-poor wages -employees receive constant critism -employees go behind each other's backs to get sales -Horrible commission rate for part-time staff -lots of pressure, often put on the spot by management

Advice to Management

Praise employees when they are working day and night to achieve sales goals

Good company to work for before it became American

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Peoples Jewellers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It felt like a big family atmosphere and everyone was productive

Cons

Too many women with egos that need to be stroked and not enough intelligent business decisions.

Advice to Management

Need to take a look at were the front lines are going

Good place as long as your sales are up

Former Employee - Jewellery Consultant
    Former Employee - Jewellery Consultant

I worked at Peoples Jewellers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are awesome, My manager was amazing. Co-Workers willing to help you make a sale. Lots of incentives. Benefits for Full Time and Part time over 25 hours. Easy work, lots of down time. Training provided. Employee Discount and employee shopping events.

Cons

The upper management was running the store into the ground and didn't know how to motivate. Expectations to get credit applications by any means. Calling ALL THE TIME, whether it be for a event, a diamond bond, an upcoming sale--you are always calling customers. You had to suggest tradeups to customers with Peoples diamonds, which often offended them. If your sales were down, you had to answer for it, even if you were in an area with no work/money around...weekly coaching. Sales targets are sometimes unachievable.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your managers so badly, the employees notice thus causing you turnover.

Least challenging position of all time

Current Employee - Retail Salesperson in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I have been working at Peoples Jewellers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy, non-challenging, requires no education

Cons

Boring, non-challenging, little room for growth, favoritism, jealousy from other employees if you made a sale

My colleagues are wonderful to work with

Current Employee - Jewellery Consultant
    Current Employee - Jewellery Consultant

Pros

Love Jewellery, love making people happy!

Cons

Push for credit In a recessive economy is unrealistic

Advice to Management

Ensure consistency in management team....increase pay for Jewellery Consultants. $10 - 11.00 an hour is draconian.

9. Unrealistic objectives mean targets are difficult to achieve

Current Employee - Store Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Bonus payouts can be quite lucrative Employee discounts are generous A lot of training is invested in employees Work with lovely people at store level

Cons

Targets are overstated to impress shareholders, meaning it's difficult to achieve bonuses Incompetent senior management Unrealistic expectations for warranty sales and credit applications

Advice to Management

CEO information needs to be updated, Neal Goldberg is no longer CEO of this company, he is deceased. CEO is Theo Killion currently.

OK

Current Employee - Retail Salesperson in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

Pros

talk to customers and try to help them when they need something,

Cons

have competitions with team work.

Advice to Management

A mess where nothing is done properly

Pros

There are none other than the commission (if you are comparing to no commission), and the benefits if you work enough hours to recieve them.

Cons

The company has the oldest and most useless system, nothing works the way it should, and nothing is done properly.

RSS Feed </> Embed