Pep Boys

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pep Boys President, CEO, and Director Mike Odell

Mike Odell

Pros
  • I was able to learn a lot from the other employees, we worked as a team in order to complete projects(in 7 reviews)

• Good Entry Level into Industry for newcomers, Flexible Scheduling(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no idea what goes on at the store level(in 7 reviews)

• Long hours sometimes and Communication(in 6 reviews)

Anonymous customer service rep

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWe had a lot of reedom and long lunch

ConsLong hours and low income

No regard for welfare of employees

Service Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood insurance coverage and uniforms provided.

ConsManagers frequently have to work all 7 days a week from open to close, as practically speaking, there is no way to schedule assistant managers to cover and not have them on OT at least a couple hours a week. Techs are underpaid and we lose them to other shops as quickly as we can hire them. Constant harassment from District Managers via group text messages.

Advice to Senior ManagementSomething needs to be done to provide reasonable opportunities for management at the shop level to have enough time away from the shop to prevent burnout. It would be very simple: each shop should have at least two assistant managers on the clock OR in shops with only one assistant manager, overtime should be allowed. When managers burn out, the whole shop feels it.

Started great and promising, then went downhill til I quit.

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) Modesto, CA

ProsCoworkers and team were great
    Customers great to us
    Store location ideal

ConsNo advancement
    Management played favorites
    Lots of demeaning behavior
    Lack of care and respect for their workers

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't talk down to your other employees. They are people too, and deserve respect. Just because you are management, that doesn't give you right to look down on your team of associates and laugh when they complain. Take your team seriously, and always keep them in the loop.

And most important: When you have a problem with someone or someone's performance, talk to them about it. Address the problem, face to face, before resorting to disciplinary action immediately.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great place to start your career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorked at the corporate office and it was a very relaxed atmosphere. Worked with a lot of wonderful people. A very good company to kick start your career then take your experience somewhere else.

Consmanagement had its pockets of clicks and those clicks had their favorites employees. If you want more training, you're on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo senior management...stop making love to your egos and start recognizing the heroes below the 5th floor

Staff Accountant

Staff Accountant (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGood Leadership, employees are dedicated

ConsFinancial considerations, not much career advancement

OK, but they're lost

Retail Manager (Current Employee)

ProsYou have a lot of freedom as a manager to run your store as you see it. If you like to be autonomous this isn't a bad place.

ConsFirst, the salary for managers is well below the average for retail and service. They use to pay well but now most of their managers are below $40K. Second, they are searching for a magic fix instead of focusing on the basics of business. I saw this with Kmart Pre and during the bankruptcy.Third they keep hiring executives, Assistant VP's, and various Senior VP's but they cut store payroll. The company is becoming very top heavy, disconnected, and blind to the daily needs of the stores. You will work 55+ hours. Bonus is not existent, mystery adjustments to your P&L at month's end that wipe out your gross profit are common. There is zero chance of you being promoted to an Area Director. They ALWAYS hire outside.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring chiefs, put payroll into the stores! Stop overnighting signage, kill window clings, whatever you need to do to save money so the stores can have more staff. Many days as salaried manager I worked 7AM to 1PM alone in the store due to payroll constraints. Oh, and SHOPX is a horrible system. Kill it quickly and get something better. Also, learn to retain your talented managers and promote from within. The area HR managers are hiring their friends in and ignoring internal candidates. You

very good

Auto Tech (Former Employee) Austin, TX

Prosgood company to work whit

ConsI have good experiences working whit pep boys

Advice to Senior Managementnone

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Just think before you take a job offer....this company expects so much for little pay

Retail Parts Associate (Former Employee) West Palm Beach, FL

ProsThe only good thing I can say about working at Pep Boys is that as a part time employer they a flexible about when you need to work and you get a discount on your own purchases.

ConsWhat this company pays you is insulting not even minimum wage and a pathetic percentage as commission even if you are a parts professional with multiple years of experience. When a offer for some sort of management within the store its even more insulting, this is the reason why the company cannot keep good people working and building a great team to service customers. Last but not least try not to promote store managers to ADM because they really forget what its like to run a store with all there demands that are expected and unrealistic.

Advice to Senior Managementtry to get back to selling parts not trinkets and put quality parts and service professionals at your store locations it helps building a strong customer base and pay them well and the turn over rate of employee will be at a minimum.

Been there too long, so sad.

Tech B (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsFlexible schedule and some very good employees to work with

ConsLots of free work and check at no charge to customer, have to constantly check your production hours as a Tech because by the time the customer checks out they manipulated the work order and took the labor out or cut the time down to please the customer trying to avoid customer complaint that goes to AD.Hiring service advisors that no very little about cars.
    Keeps hiring Mech with no experience and promise them the moon and when they realize they will be at minimum wage after 8 weeks of garanteed pay they go looking for another job.
    meanwhile you have to fix their comebacks.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoes anyone checks the turnover rate in this company ?Stop having upper management threatening subordinates,listen to employees ideas,stop being the Dollar store just sell automotive, look at Autozone closely, it looks like your are ignoring them, update your computer system its so slow its not funny.

Pep Boys

Store Manager (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsCan't think of any at this time. UMMM nope none. Oh I know only having to work a 50 hr week, oh that's right you don't you work more.

Conscovering shifts when associates call out, working 60+ hrs a week. Dealing with all part time associates who could care less about the job or if they have one.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't over sell the Job. Let people know what to expect of the job.

Worked for Pep Boys? Contribute to the Community!