Pep Boys Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Scott Sider

Pros
  • I was able to learn a lot from the other employees, we worked as a team in order to complete projects (in 7 reviews)

• Great work/life balance, anytime I needed off I would receive it (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no idea what goes on at the store level (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours sometimes and Communication (in 7 reviews)

1. Enjoyable job

Former Employee - Assistant Service Manager in Tyler, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Service Manager in Tyler, TX

I worked at Pep Boys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to help customers maintain/fix their automobiles. Ability to stay current on automotive repair information. Can explain to the customer what needs to be fixed in the levels of priority.

Cons

Trying to convince customers that the top end model of tire or service is what they need. Sometimes, if the shop gets too busy, you have to mount tires. Not a horrible con but one if you would like to stay clean throughout the day.

Advice to Management

I don't have anything critical to say to management. How corporate interacted with their associates was very appropriate. If possible, try to hire more tire guys during the busy seasons in order to keep service writers on the front end.

2. Great growth potential

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Littleton, CO

I have been working at Pep Boys

Pros

The company strives to be very competitive to earn customers trust and take care of its people. Favorable customer service practices, Good Pricing and Great selection

Cons

Up front salaries don't really reflect earning potential. A go-getter will do very well; a person who is there for An hourly wage doesn't make much. (and they shouldn't!) Need better hiring practices to attract and retain better candidates.

Advice to Management

Computer systems need to be updated and should include input from people working in the trenches. They are disjointed, slow, and cumbersome. Not intuitive for newcomers and impede the learning curve.

3. CFO

I worked at Pep Boys full-time

Pros

Worked there for years good company great benefits loved the peoples

Cons

The Company is not what I wanted

5. We are car people!

Current Employee - Sales Trainer in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Trainer in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Pep Boys (More than a year)

Pros

If you love everything about cars, Pep Boys is the place to work. Great people, great benefits, great opportunities, strong future.

Cons

We need fresh, enthusiastic employees.

6. Parts/Commercial Delivery Driver

Former Employee - Commercial Delivery Driver in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Commercial Delivery Driver in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Pep Boys part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Interesting problems to solve (if you like cars). -Pay was above minimum wage at the time, albeit not much. -More I can't remember, I'm sure

Cons

-It's retail. -Culture varies quite a bit from store to store, and we didn't seem 'united'. Sister stores were almost competitors. -Company policy can be near-micromanaging. No cell phone, so sitting down, etc.

7. Nice place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Pep Boys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

casual atmosphere; accessible management; onsite amenities - cafe, gym, parking shuttle

Cons

slow to modernize, but working on it

Advice to Management

stick with an idea long enough to evaluate

8. okay place to work

Current Employee - Mechanic
    Current Employee - Mechanic

I have been working at Pep Boys

Pros

most of the people are really easy going and easy to get along with, they hire alot of new techs so they dont expect your work to be flawless, they have schools where they can teach you about specific area in automotive, great place to earn experience before moving to a different shop

Cons

the way they pay their techs is messed up. they offer fleet customers so many free things and they dont pay the techs for doing the work, or the amount of flat rate time jobs pay is often to little. corp. is constantly changing things, they are constantly changing the schedule, we get the new schedule a day before sometimes the first day of the new work week. alot of the tools in the shop are outdated or not working properly, the shop at least at the one i work in the roof leaks during the rainy season and the "a/c' its really just old beat up swap coolers dont cool anything, most of the service writers have no knowledge in automotive. most mechanics atleast in the store i work at end up making minimum wage

Advice to Management

start paying techs reasonable wages considering how much money we invest in tools, start paying us fair flag hours for the work we do, stop trying to please every customer by giving them free stuff just because they have to wait, then you wonder why profits arent going up

9. They really don't care

Current Employee - CSA in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - CSA in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, pay is OK, relationships you build with your team

Cons

Never keep their promises, annual raises suck, no training, I can go on forever.

Advice to Management

Keep your promises to your employees. Promote within and not external. Provide more training to your employees, especially the new ones. There's no reason why the raises should be so low when the CEO makes about $3mill a year.

10. Anonymous

Current Employee - Anonymous in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company truly cares about people, employees and associates. I've had an opportunity to grow my career here over time with the help and support of supervisors and peers.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons. No matter where or what company anyone works for you'll always have something that could be better. In my case there is nothing that would be considered a con.

11. General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upward mobility is great. The culture change is exciting to see grow. Great store team. Pay.

Cons

Some process are complicated. Payroll can be tight. A lot of tenure with a lot of unchanging behaviors.

Advice to Management

Hold stores that are hurting us more accountable. Having to suffer because stores can't manage payroll or profit isn't acceptable. More accountability on all levels. Too much comfortable tenure.

RSS Feed </> Embed