Pep Boys Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
245 reviews filtered by

1. Lots of freedom as an employee and respects your work life balance.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Pep Boys

Pros

Enjoyed my time with Pep Boys and the people that work there. Was my first retail job and gave me all the tools i needed to succeed as a sales associate. Very easy job and a lot of downtime.

Cons

Management needs improvement. Regional Director and Store Manager clueless at times what is going on in the stores. Most of the time was spent in the back room doing paper work or conference calls. Avoided confrontation with employees most of the time. Worked when Gores Group decided to merge with company but they decided to back out because of the financial issues with the company.

More assertive and welcoming to customers. Many customers have negative opinions of the company due to lackadaisical work of service team. More emphasis on internet business to drive sales.

2. Overall a good job

Former Employee - Warehouse in Tampa, FL

I worked at Pep Boys full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good Team and management was on point. They paid decent and had normal benefits. Above all it was a fun place to work.

Cons

No Complaints with this place. They were good to me

3. Good job. Pay wasn't great but easy work

Former Employee - Warehouse in Tampa, FL

I worked at Pep Boys full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I had a good boss and enjoyed the people i worked with. The money was decent for the amount of work you had to do.

Cons

the customers were a bunch of rude jerks

5. Only work here if you like getting stolen from

Current Employee - ASE Certified Automotive Technician
    Current Employee - ASE Certified Automotive Technician

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good place to start out as a mechanic, provided you work at one of the "good" locations.

Cons

The pay is average at best. Auto technicians are paid flat rate, which would be great if the whole pay system wasn't set up for you to fail. All of the labor rates for different jobs are way lower than they should be, and getting things done on time is impossible because there's always something getting in the way (i.e. waiting for parts to come, service writer mistakes, managers believing that every oil change is sacred and therefore should take precedence over your 8 hour service job, etc). Not only that, but I've even worked under some managers who thought it was okay to take flat rate hours off of my work orders because "it didn't take me that long" in order to save the customers money. This is a crooked company that hires crooked people. Be on your guard.

Start listening to your lower employees. Pay attention to what goes on in the stores. You have this idea that everything can be fixed by replacing people, and it only serves to create more confusion. Nobody communicates, nobody's on the same page.

Nearly impossible to live off wage.

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co workers are great people on personal levels, Pretty much all cut from same cloth.

Cons

Management over works employees, if you have any over time you are told to take extended lunch. Over work for amount of commission is provided.

Pay associates more so there is incentive to do the amount of work that is asked,

7. Overworked and underpaid

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Pep Boys

Pros

Parts and service discounts. That's basically all this company has to offer by working there. That and the hours aren't outrageous.

Cons

They will squeeze every cent out of the 7 dollars an hour they pay you. You have too many supervisors telling you to hurry up and wait. You will constantly be asked to do other employee's jobs when they slack off. If you get over time you have to take a long lunch which can consist of 2+ hours.

Get rid of some management positions. Increase pay for employees to something reasonable. I was number one in my area and I only averaged 10/Hr. I definitely put in more work than what I was paid.

8. Great place to work

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Pep Boys

Pros

Good benefits, good training, Good teamwork

Cons

Sometimes mis communication and micro managing

9. IT/technology professionals should steer clear of the Pep Boys train wreck.

Former Freelancer - Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Freelancer - Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Pep Boys (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly team members who try to do the right thing despite the leadership and culture working against them.

Cons

Incompetent CIO. Obsolete or poorly designed technology and infrastructure. Sub-par talent; many of whom have been there 20+ years with stale knowledge and resistant to fresh ideas. Lack of investment by CIO and execs.

The building is a dilapidated, cockroach infested dump.

Fire the CIO and the rest of incompetent IT leadership who have been there most of their lives. Clean house.

10. Eh

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pep Boys

Pros

There is nothing about this company that is good. Should of just listen to the reviews lol

Cons

The pay is horrible, management is awful most customers are rude and you learn nothing about anything in this job at this company

11. Horrible Management

Former Employee - Installer in Berlin, NJ
    Former Employee - Installer in Berlin, NJ

I worked at Pep Boys

Pros

Work load was straight forward and as expected

Cons

Manager was having an affair with assistant manager and made my life a living hell

Clean up house