Pep Boys

Updated December 20, 2014
2.5

Pep Boys President, CEO, and Director Mike Odell
Mike Odell

Pros
  • I was able to learn a lot from the other employees, we worked as a team in order to complete projects (in 7 reviews)

• Great work/life balance, anytime I needed off I would receive it (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no idea what goes on at the store level (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours sometimes and Communication (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun work place

Current Employee - General Service Tech in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - General Service Tech in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pep Boys part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Its always fun to go to work. All of us at work just mess around and play with each other. And if you looking to make a carrier with auto the other mechanics will help you out and show you what you know. You always increasing you knowledge.

Cons

When you start pay not worth it. And if you work at the shop the flag hour rate is confusing.

A place that gets your feet wet

Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Pep Boys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Helps get your foot in the door in the industry. Management pays better than AutoZone & Oreilly Auto Parts but store budget leaves little for extra hands to get the job done.
    Advancement seems based more on likability than a given skill set.

Cons

Pay for non manager is undeserved. Must wear several different hats while working for this company.

Promote from within. Utilize your team.

Corporate drones

Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Pep Boys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Commission structure was Ok. Not great

Cons

Bad hours, if you are not on commision you are pretty much minimum wage, and everyone is expected to tiptoe the corporate line, if you say ANYTHING that doesn't fit the corporate agenda, it's immediate termination. Management loves to do showy events, and shove in your face type of things "we care about customers", "we care about employees", but in reality, they rarely do.

Their management style is reactionary, when something breaks, they react to it, as opposed to preventative, good training, employee morale, to prevent problems from happening. If a wheel falls off a customers car, lets show them how much we are sorry and give them all the discounts, as opposed to... how about train our employees right so that kind of crap doesn't happen? What a concept.

Honestly wouldnt recommend to anybody. To take your car there, or work there.

Stop surrounding yourself with yes men. You have BIIG problems, and you will not solve them by everyone showing off how loyal you are to the corporation. You need to change from within.

Terrible Company

Former Employee - General Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Pep Boys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will meet some great people who are keeping their heads down trying to survive.
    Pay was slightly above average until Chris Adams (SVP) changed pay scales.

Cons

I wish i had listened to friends and family before coming on board. Working for big box retailers for many years, I know it doesnt have to be this bad. Terrible leadership is all to blame. The worse part is when you hear people brag about the Road Ahead and how great it is for our company. Then you actually talk to the managers from those markets and you see how beaten down and micro managed they are. They burn through managers making them work 80+hrs a week.

-CEO got kicked out of the company. He seemed like a genuine good guy. But too many layers of worthlessness below him to make a difference.

-Senior Leadership is terrible and could care less about anyone besides themselves. People at the top like Chris Adams are trying to turn this company into Enterprise, where leaders threaten people's jobs and overload proven performers with extra tasks and metrics that accomplish nothing only to feed their need for micromanagement.

-Pep Boys cooks the books and changes your P&L whenever they feel like it. Rent costs go up and down by the month. Utilities fluctuate with no explanation. Headquarters is shady and hiding their losses in the stores. Someone needs to go to jail or worse. Stealing from our commissions in the stores. My district manager gets told to stop asking questions when he tries to help.

-Support partners are a joke and only add an extra layer of micro management and unnecessary blame placing. They walk into store, don't greet you or our customers, tell you that you suck and leave. "Support" Partners...right.

-Upper management is loaded with incompetent egotistical masochists who find joy in running the performers into the ground instead of fixing the flaws in our company our how we operate.

-Good 'ole boy network. If Chris Adams likes you, then you will get promoted no matter how terrible your performance is.

-AVP's are worthless and redundant "yes men." . I watch them micromanage my AD and provide no solutions or help. They walk in and pretend to be your friend and then try to fire or cut your pay behind your back.

-Chris Adams will brag about how great Enterprise is as a company. Someone needs to tell him that he works for Pep Boys now.

-This will be the only company where they can offer you a promotion and you make less money for 5x the amount of work than you did in your current role.

-HR yells at you to complete succession plans and talent development reports....yet NO ONE gets promoted out of stores. So what am i planning for?!

-Conference calls, conference calls, conference calls.., Death by conference calls. If that's not bad enough, the emails follow right behind it. No praise all punishment.

My advice to board is to take a look in the mirror and sell the company so they can fill it with great leaders who will run the company the way companies with three times our stock price do.

Technician C's Job is never easy.

Former Employee - Technician C in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Technician C in Joliet, IL

I worked at Pep Boys full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Teamwork was good because I was the one who forced the teamwork on other employees, hence made some jobs easier. Good attitude of my service assisted manager, always a good communicator. Easy interview. Flexible hours for full-time tech. Many opportunities to learn about cars. Good employee discount.

Cons

Only location in Joliet, since the other one closed. There are a community of homeless living in dumpster area. My service manager was not professional and micro-managed. There were many days where other techs were supposed to show up and were absent or just walked off the job. Inventory were always behind, since I had to do and nobody else would. A lot of employees were lazy, they would smoke in the shop and they would not clean their mess from their last job of the day. Could not produce 40hrs of work so sometimes only got paid for 12 hrs. I was supposed to book 40hrs a week at 17.50/hr but It was based on productivity.

Bunch of Cowboys Running the Show

Former Employee - Store Manager in Berlin, CT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Berlin, CT

I worked at Pep Boys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salaries are low, but reasonable. The Regional Managers are the real nutcases, but have so many stores that you see them very rarely.

Cons

Company policies are established at the top, but selectively enforced. The good ole boy nature of the company seems to allow some regions to operate significantly differently than others. If a policy seems to get in the way of regionals making more money, they just ignore it at the expense of the local management team.

Make the internal employee surveys truly confidential and talk to the store managers. District managers and Regional Managers are running their own businesses at the expense of consistency and fairness.

LEAD TECHNICIAN

Current Employee - Tech A in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Tech A in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, coworkers are very easy to work with

Cons

Company cannot decide which direction it wants to go, Pay is way below average for anyone in the automotive industry, their flat rate is not a true flat rate. Parts that they carry are not quality parts but are charged a premium price

Terrible company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Pep Boys part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good discount, managers great with requesting off

Cons

poor HR, poor management, lazy employees, open on Easter and 4th of July, Area manager has no courage to stand up for employees, hours get cut every week, one raise a year for maybe 20-30 cents, very political

treat employees better and they will be more willing to help customers. Most of our store is so selfish and feed up that they let many customers walk right on by. Company expects to much to get done in store with minimal hours they give. Most nights there is only 1 person in the store.

Need to be "in" to move up

Current Employee - Service Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Service Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Takes an act of GOD to get fired - literally need to beat an employee...

Cons

Have to kiss major butt to move up.

Keep promises

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Pep Boys full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great learning experience, strong benefits, great work-life balance.

Cons

Very little room for growth. employee compensation is lower compared to industry standards, very often extra work is under appreciated.

Pep Boys Photos