Pep Boys Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

2.6

Pep Boys President, CEO, and Director Mike Odell
Mike Odell

Pros
  • I was able to learn a lot from the other employees, we worked as a team in order to complete projects (in 7 reviews)

• Good Entry Level into Industry for newcomers, Flexible Scheduling (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no idea what goes on at the store level (in 7 reviews)

• Long hours sometimes and Communication (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

No room for advancement, they care less about their employees!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago Ridge, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago Ridge, IL

I worked at Pep Boys full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Close to home, but that's it!

Cons

I worked for them for 6 years!! They rotate managers so often in their stores that it never gave you a chance to move up yourself especially when a new manager comes in and has to get to know you and the way you work over and over again. Women who work here have no say in anything. Its defiantly a mans world, but I was determined to advance since I was a young woman seeking more money. They just wouldn't allow it no matter how hard I worked, there was no way to move up for a woman, I actually seen other women move up, but only because they had other motives. if you know what I'm talking about. This place was great the first 2 years i worked here, it fell apart after that and I hear its just getting worse. My pay was decent when I started but 6 years later i was only up 80 cents more than when i started?? Place is crooked... I will never recommend anyone or any woman to set foot in those doors unless your looking for drama!!!

Good luck even trying... Unless your a hard working man even then you will be treated like a dog...

Great source of automotive knowledge

Current Employee - Commercial Sales Assistant  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Commercial Sales Assistant in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time for more than a year

Pros

You learn a lot about automotive, discounts on car parts, and the company prefers to promote rather than outsource

Cons

Hectic environment due to lack of hours allowed to be scheduled. part-timers get screwed in regards to PTO and scheduled hours. Some people should just not be managers!!

send in more visitors to judge manager performance. PTO FOR ALL!! Seriously SERIOUSLY think about how stupid your hour restrictions are. Seriously my store brings in over 5 million a year and you cut us down to almost the same as our sister store that barely makes 2. Oh and P.S. A PERSON CAN NOT FREAKING LIVE ON 10-15 HOURS A WEEK YOU CON ARTISTS.

worked 2 years, its ok

Current Employee - Mechanic  in  Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Albany, NY

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time for more than a year

Pros

good pay, easy understanding workorders,

Cons

benefits. no car to service will not get any pay..

good management to district but for store alone no,

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stressful

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pep Boys part-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoy learning from my co-workers. They're helpful for the most part.

Cons

Managers aren't very available. Also, there's a lot of work to be done on the sales floor but there's no time to get it done because you're constantly called to the counter because there's not enough staff. All the stress for little pay isn't worth it.

You want your staff to work well, you need to work well also. Don't blame employees for stuff you should be on top of.

Prepare to work hard only to not be appreciated.

Current Employee - Assistant Service Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Service Manager

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time

Pros

I started for PepBoys as a part time parts person/cashier/delivery driver. I got an opportunity for a full time position as a service writer. With some luck, I was given an opportunity to move into a management position and prove myself.

Cons

There have been some recent slashing of work hours that was supposed to only have been a week long has become almost 2 months long. Believe me, going from 45hrs a week to 35 hurt my bank account big time. All the Area Director seems to care about are "metrics" and "psqi" and could care less that our location's sales have been fantastic. The added stress that is put on us doesn't motivate anyone at all. Especially, since PepBoys doesn't pay enough to deal with verbally abusive customers.

I have gotten along with all the managers I've worked with/for in the store I work in.

Acceptable

Current Employee - Service Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Service Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Being a manager you have some flexabilty in your scheduale, if in a busy location you can make some decent money.

Cons

Corporate expectations are not based on real world circumstances. We are not suppose to say no to a customer when they request service, but if all the techs are busying and you have people waiting as well as appointments comming in, how is it possible to say to some one walking in sure we can help you??? You are expected to pull the car in and have customer take a seat. After a while that customer is going to say hey why did you pull my car in if no one is going to work on it?/ I have been here 45 minutes and no one has gotten near it yet?? It only causes issues and generates complaints.

Spend some time behind the service desk and experiance the real world. Maybe then you will see our point of view and the appropriate policy and procedures can be formulated for the real world.

it was ok

Current Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, flexible scheduling, many locations

Cons

Very slow career advancement, lack of product, had to special order a lot which cost the customer time & money, SOF & parts look up needs a lot of work, poor training

Okay

Former Employee - Mechanic  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Mechanic in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Pep Boys full-time for less than a year

Pros

Somewhat Flexible Schedule, Work in a shop atmosphere.

Cons

Dealing with some difficult personalities.

Nothing

General Service Tech

I worked at Pep Boys

Pros

increases your knowledgeof automotive parts and services. if you want to start a career in the automotive field PepBoys would be a good place to start off.

Cons

Depending on the position you appl for the pay isnt that good.

Hire managers with automotive backgrounds. Sometimes its sad to see lower level employees having a better automotive knowledge than their superior.

Roughly ran company

Former Employee - Retail Parts Associate  in  Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Retail Parts Associate in Mansfield, OH

I worked at Pep Boys part-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay was decent compared to other parts stores.

Cons

They do not require you to be very good at customer service.

You need to get the payroll figured out and employee customer service.

Worked for Pep Boys? Contribute to the Community!