Pep Boys Reviews

Updated September 13, 2014
2.6

Pep Boys President, CEO, and Director Mike Odell
Mike Odell

Pros
  • I was able to learn a lot from the other employees, we worked as a team in order to complete projects (in 7 reviews)

• Good Entry Level into Industry for newcomers, Flexible Scheduling (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no idea what goes on at the store level (in 7 reviews)

• Long hours sometimes and Communication (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Okay

Former Employee - Mechanic  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Mechanic in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Pep Boys full-time for less than a year

Pros

Somewhat Flexible Schedule, Work in a shop atmosphere.

Cons

Dealing with some difficult personalities.

Nothing

Prepare to work hard only to not be appreciated.

Current Employee - Assistant Service Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Service Manager

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time

Pros

I started for PepBoys as a part time parts person/cashier/delivery driver. I got an opportunity for a full time position as a service writer. With some luck, I was given an opportunity to move into a management position and prove myself.

Cons

There have been some recent slashing of work hours that was supposed to only have been a week long has become almost 2 months long. Believe me, going from 45hrs a week to 35 hurt my bank account big time. All the Area Director seems to care about are "metrics" and "psqi" and could care less that our location's sales have been fantastic. The added stress that is put on us doesn't motivate anyone at all. Especially, since PepBoys doesn't pay enough to deal with verbally abusive customers.

I have gotten along with all the managers I've worked with/for in the store I work in.

Profitable Service Manager who is viewed by his superior as a go to employee for anything and everything.

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My contribution to the company does not go unnoticed by my superiors. Fellow employees are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

The economic environment has made making sales a challenging atmosphere. Our corporate office still expects high sales with higher margins with lower payrolls.

Spend more to make more. Allow for larger staffing to ensure high quality customer service. Too many customers complain that there are not enough employees around when they have a question.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

it was ok

Current Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, flexible scheduling, many locations

Cons

Very slow career advancement, lack of product, had to special order a lot which cost the customer time & money, SOF & parts look up needs a lot of work, poor training

Roughly ran company

Former Employee - Retail Parts Associate  in  Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Retail Parts Associate in Mansfield, OH

I worked at Pep Boys part-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay was decent compared to other parts stores.

Cons

They do not require you to be very good at customer service.

You need to get the payroll figured out and employee customer service.

Challenging ! Customer first friendly atmosphere

Current Employee - Store General Manager  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Store General Manager in Reno, NV

I have been working at Pep Boys full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is average for the industry! Customer friendly
    Make a friend atmosphere. Employees are conceded the company's top asset.

Cons

Typical corporation long hours. Company is cutting store hours trying to save their way to profit.

Stay the course! The customer friendly atmosphere will pay off in the long run.

Outstanding service, as usuall!

I have been working at Pep Boys part-time for more than a year

Pros

You can make appointments. You get good honest people to deal with and great car care from the mechanics. the monroeville Pep Boys knows vehicles and knows how to deal with the public. The people at monroeville are honest and they stand by their word! We make things right.

Cons

None, ever! If there are any they fix them!

Keep the coffee coming

it was the most aweful place to work

Former Employee - Service Manager  in  Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Charleston, SC

I worked at Pep Boys full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are no pros. 60 hrs manditory

Cons

The stores are severely understaffed. Cannot find anyone to work for 7 dollars an hr

Re think the road ahead. stores are losing to much money

Bottom of the Barrel Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Crystal Lake, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Crystal Lake, IL

I have been working at Pep Boys part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only real plus to working here is if you are at a location that has some nice people and makes the day go by faster. If you are part time they are generally flexible about your requests for days off since you don't get PTO for a long time. They have no problem scheduling you more hours then part time and not paying you the increased benefits to go along with it.

FIND THE BUSIEST SHOP YOU CAN. IF YOU ARE SLOW YOU ARE MAKING NO MONEY. LESS THEN MINIMUM WAGE.

Cons

Most days it isn't too bad as far as the customers go. Like any retail you will get the occasional bad customer. Before you even take a job at this company make sure you look at the location and get a good feel for how busy they actually are. If you get a busy place you can make some decent money. THE MANAGEMENT WILL LIE to you when you start about how many "book hours" you get if you are a mechanic. Which translates right into sales for the sale associates. A slower store is not even worth your time since they pay so low and most of your money comes from commissions/book hours depending if you work the shop or counter.

Most of the management is only concerned about "meeting weekly/daily sales" and less interested in meeting the needs of the customers. If something doesn't go a customer's way and they complain even the slightest the management will start knocking prices down to make them happy which will eat into and sales you make.

Management likes to hover a lot and micromanage everything.

Good luck ever getting a raise. Unless you change positions you will most likely not see a raise anytime soon. As a mechanic, you get raises with increased ASE certifications. I was there over 2.5 years and saw a $0.20 raise that entire time. If you work the counter count on what they give you to start, probably won't see much more.

The perks are kind of low. Full timers get PTO and 401k eventually along with the Part Timers after a long enough period. The management will make you do things their way or no way. They like to drill all the corporate propaganda that gets sent down instead of focusing more on what matters which is doing the jobs right.

If you just start out you get some training on the computer and hopefully you get a nice enough rest of the staff that helps you learn other things. If you don't, hope you can learn a computer fast because you get thrown into the deep end.

Generally speaking the people who have worked the longest at the counter can run the shop better then the managers can with the exception of a few here and there that are good.

Pay is decent, not very good

Former Employee - Assistant Service Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Service Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Pep Boys full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a job to get by, not really exciting to work here, corporate has unrealistic expectations. Managers act like little girls when they know corporate will be making a visit to the store. Kind of embarrassing to see your boss following around another grown man like a puppy...

Cons

The amount you earn for the company vs. your compensation can make you feel cheated.. you really have to sell people things they don't need to make a decent income, which doesn't make you feel very good. The company recently is going through an overhaul to try to become the "next best alternative to the dealership." They are raising the prices on everything in order to pay for all this remodeling and unnecessary travel of corporate.

Worked for Pep Boys? Contribute to the Community!