Pepperdine University

Updated May 28, 2014

Pepperdine University President Andrew K. Benton

Andrew K. Benton

Associate Director

ProsFlexibility, great people, good benefits

ConsRisk averse leadership, can be reluctant to change

Wonderful environment, great coworkers, meaningful work

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsBeautiful campus
    Great people
    High caliber employees who are both professional and personable
    Competitive salaries
    Upper-level management is authentic, enthusiastic about their work, and set a great example
    Great work-life balance

ConsCommute can be tricky-- it's not easy to get to the campus if there are any road closures.
    Salary is probably a bit lower than it would be in the corporate sector, but I still felt well-compensated, and the benefits were great.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in your alumni; they are a huge asset!

Coordinator

Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Malibu, CA

ProsAmazing University that values it's employees and cultivates a family oriented culture

ConsTight budgets for promotions and growth

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Work and Personal Balance

Web and Multimedia Developer (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsManagement cares for the personality development of their employees, encourages workers to respect each other minimizing conflicts. Beneftis comparable to most Universities. Nice support in terms of hardware they encourage you to change your computers or devices every four years.

ConsNot a lot of promotion,

I do not see a lot of cons working for the university that is why I still work for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should look at employees who has been there at least 5 years and never got a title change or promotion. Base decision not only from what they hear from the immediate supervisor but overall service to the company. Ones deliverable and execution.

Great Benefits and Work/Life Balance

Marketing Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe benefits package is really great. There is a tuition discount if you work for the University. All of the schools within the University are highly ranked, so you will get a great education with a discount. There are 12 given holiday days, including a full week off during Christmas time.

ConsIn my current department, there is very little growth. In order to climb the ranks, you would have to move between the schools or departments. The tuition discount is great, but you have to be careful with the tax implications.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should be more open to the suggestions and advice of lower ranking employees. Although many may be young, they interact with students and have a better understanding of the reality of what occurs within the university.

Community-centered environment

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Malibu, CA

ProsFlexible work environment, everyone is super friendly and wants to get to know you, lots of community activities

ConsThe pay is not that great, and not a lot of room for advancement since it's a small organization.

Wonderful People with a Higher Purpose

Director (Current Employee)
    Malibu, CA

ProsThe people are incredible. You will be treated with warmth unlike any place else -- almost to the point of it being odd. But you get used to it and ultimately it is a good thing.

ConsNot necessarily a con but if you are not religious, it is important to know that the University is very committed to their Christian mission. It is part and parcel who they are and involved in every aspect of your daily work.

If you're looking for a "warm," "caring," & safe organization, this may not be for you!

Malibu, CA

ProsIf you're very, very, conservative, this may be the place for you.

ConsWhere I work pepperdine university has no osha approved injury prevention programs and as a result employees get hurt. Shorty after my employment began at pepperdine university I became a victim of identity theft. Pepperdine university was the only new business contact I had during the period in question. Also, the job I interviewed for was not the job I got?

Advice to Senior ManagementOver-zealous cost cutting is wrong when employees safety is compromised?? Please protect the personal information of your employees.

Love working here so far

Technician (Current Employee)
    Malibu, CA

ProsGreat people and a great community to work in. I work a mile from the beach and have great views.

ConsUnless you can afford to live in malibu, it can be a bit of a communte.

Advice to Senior ManagementI dont have any yet

Pepperdine University is a community of people working together to shape the hearts, souls, and minds of its students.

Malibu, CA

ProsAuthentic People, Place of Faith, Passionately Inspired, Purposeful Leadership, Values-Centered Work...the work of employees at Pepperdine is about influencing the world for good by equipping young people with the knowledge, skills, and experiences they need, with a foundation of values and purpose. That is the kind of "product" I can get behind.

ConsMany perceive Pepperdine to be a very affluent school and expect budgets and salaries to be sky high. However, Pepperdine, like many private colleges, is a non-profit organization, 75 years young, and committed to fiscal stewardship and responsibility. We have been blessed in many ways, but job seekers should have a realistic understanding of the financial parameters and limitations the institution faces.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course and hold fast to your faith and values. Our faith is what has made us unique and I hope that it will continue to do so for decades to come!

Worked for Pepperdine University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pepperdine University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pepperdine University CEO Andrew K. Benton. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by Pepperdine University employees.