Pepsi Bottling

Updated November 25, 2014
2.9

Pepsi Bottling President and CEO Eric J. Foss
Eric J. Foss

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits for company located in (in 15 reviews)

• Pepsi has good pay and benefits compared to it's rivals in Alaska (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance leaves much to be desired for the majority of the workforce (in 20 reviews)

• Long hours, and roles that keep expanding with titles that keep shrinking (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

good place to work nice people good manger long hours

Former Employee - Forklift Labor in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Forklift Labor in Portland, OR

I worked at Pepsi Bottling full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good paying job good benefits working with good people you be train to understand the job at hand

Cons

time off you must let them know ahead of time good pay promotions if you work hard never late always on time

WAREHOUSE WORKER

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Canton, MA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Canton, MA

I worked at Pepsi Bottling full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

overall good company with benefits it is a union job with opportunities to change to driver positions available

Cons

can be stagnant job opportunities if plan is to stay inside warehouse it is manual labor type job bending and lifting items repetitively

Warehouse Manager

Former Employee - Warehouse Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Warehouse Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Pepsi Bottling full-time

Pros

Good people and strong company

Cons

long hours but rewarding job.

More communication between departments... Keep control at local level.

Good company with great benefits.

Current Employee - Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at Pepsi Bottling part-time

Pros

During my time at Pepsi, I've had a pleasant experience. I've been able to learn many things and they were able to work with my school schedule.

Cons

Other than the normal wear and tear on my body, it seemed kind of difficult to be promoted. Managers sometimes tend to do whatever it takes to please a customer, sometimes at the expense of their own employees. Now I do believe customer service is key and is the number one priority, but when it is at the expense of your employees and their families, it becomes unnecessary.

Better promotion system. Focus on employees, which are the backbone of the company

Not even noticed

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Nashville, TN

I worked at Pepsi Bottling as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Okay pay, supposedley a good company

Cons

Needs to get with the times, I would have thought that they would have a scanner system ed warehouse, it was like a tornado some days, just piling product into limited space. FIFO was not used at all. Managers were there because of their education, not because background in doing the job. Good old boy system there, most were afraid of a experienced worker, not wanting to properly train or suggest future job opportunities with Pepsi.

Revamp your hiring practices, employ people who want to work for you. You will gain more from someone who loves what they do. Than from someone who's just doing it for a check.

Pre Sell Account Manager

Current Employee - Pre-Sell Representative
    Current Employee - Pre-Sell Representative

I have been working at Pepsi Bottling full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great company to have on your resume

Cons

work/life balance
    pay to hours worked (salary)

stop running things so lean. we can't hit every metric because we run like madmen for 12hrs just to get home for a cold dinner.

Sales

Former Employee - Route Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Route Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Pepsi Bottling full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is the only thing that is good

Cons

Constant pressure on hitting sales goals and management does not care.

Management enjoys blaming employees for their own mistakes

If you think this is the place to be a Supervisor, you'd be wrong.

Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Pepsi Bottling full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are well established and you will get paid on time, though they don't pay their vendors on time. That's about it.

Cons

Those looking to be Supervisors please read. (I am currently a supervisor in manufacturing in a non-union plant. My advice is based on current conditions.)

You will probably not get any raises above 2% (cost of living). Most of the time they will "give" you a 1% "raise". This 1% is actually a deduction in pay based on a 2% cost of living increase. As a supervisor you will make about as much as a production employee makes after they have been there 12 months, but you will have tons more responsibilities. The majority, I haven't seen one that's the minority, will swamp you with so many tasks that you will literally not be able to complete them if you were to stay on the office 16 hours a day. They mandate that you will spend 10 hours per day at work minimum. This does not matter if you bust your as or not. There is no gratification for going above and beyond so no one does. Your managers will give you a hard time over small things you may not have done optimal, so do not expect to receive praise for the thing you do to help the company.

The employees, if they're not already union, are always looking to go union, so they are paid very well. They tend to fight management tooth and nail on any little change. Most of the time this happens because some manager is trying to step on anyone they can to move up the ladder. These are the same managers that will bury you if they get a chance. If they don't get a chance, they will make your job so annoyingly tedious that you will let something small fall off the plate and then they will smear you with it and use you as a scapegoat for their shortcomings.

If you think you will be promoted from supervisor to manager from within, think again. in three years at Pepsi I have yet to talk to a supervisor that has moved into management. You will, however, talk to the campus hires that are put into 3 supervisor positions before moving into their guaranteed managment position.

I am a hard worker. My employees get along with me very well. I work fast and hard from the moment I step in the plant. Yet, there hasn't been a manager, and plant manager for that matter, that I've met yet that doesn't step all over the supervisors at this facility. The managers have fired a 25 year supervisor for lack of performance, he must have been fine for the previous 24 years, I guess. They have angered three other supervisors into quitting. These supervisors had 10 years with the company, 15 years with the company and 5 years with the company.

The company has super high turnover in management all the way from supervisor to plant directors. Here is why... because the carbonated softdrinks (CSD) sector of the beverages industry is rapidly losing demand. These managers and directors are forced to cut labor at every single turn. So what happens? The Supervisors, literally, have to run the machines as an operator. Yes, the exact thing Pepsi was sued for and lost was this very same thing.

The two managers I've had so far do not debate the tasks pushed down to them. They choose not to understand the time it takes to complete projects or daily tasks they assign their employees. Instead, they choose to overestimate, over task and ultimately underperform because they believe management is hammering their employees for more with less. This is the ultimate reason for the high rate of turnover in the companies management.

Recommendation:
        If you are considering working for Pepsi, please do one of two things; take an hourly position or take the campus hire route with a guaranteed managers position after 1-2 years. Otherwise, the probability is, you will most likely be searching for an exit after about 1 - 2 years with the company.

Note* Below I rate the company outlook as decreasing because of the month to month sales losses in the CSD market.

I have yet to see the managers accept advice for those beneath them. I will say this though, you should

Rewarding adventure, I learned a lot of valuable skills

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Lakeland, FL

I worked at Pepsi Bottling full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and compensation. Fast paced environment.

Cons

Dealing with upper management that does not have a clue as to how the real world works.

Judge people for how they perform not whether the have a piece of paper hanging on the wall. Not all college grads are capable individuals.

MEM

I worked at Pepsi Bottling full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This was a great job with some over time

Cons

Can not think of any cons with this job

None