Pepsi Bottling

www.pbg.com
Profile Unclaimed

If you think this is the place to be a Supervisor, you'd be wrong.

Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Pepsi Bottling full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are well established and you will get paid on time, though they don't pay their vendors on time. That's about it.

Cons

Those looking to be Supervisors please read. (I am currently a supervisor in manufacturing in a non-union plant. My advice is based on current conditions.)

You will probably not get any raises above 2% (cost of living). Most of the time they will "give" you a 1% "raise". This 1% is actually a deduction in pay based on a 2% cost of living increase. As a supervisor you will make about as much as a production employee makes after they have been there 12 months, but you will have tons more responsibilities. The majority, I haven't seen one that's the minority, will swamp you with so many tasks that you will literally not be able to complete them if you were to stay on the office 16 hours a day. They mandate that you will spend 10 hours per day at work minimum. This does not matter if you bust your as or not. There is no gratification for going above and beyond so no one does. Your managers will give you a hard time over small things you may not have done optimal, so do not expect to receive praise for the thing you do to help the company.

The employees, if they're not already union, are always looking to go union, so they are paid very well. They tend to fight management tooth and nail on any little change. Most of the time this happens because some manager is trying to step on anyone they can to move up the ladder. These are the same managers that will bury you if they get a chance. If they don't get a chance, they will make your job so annoyingly tedious that you will let something small fall off the plate and then they will smear you with it and use you as a scapegoat for their shortcomings.

If you think you will be promoted from supervisor to manager from within, think again. in three years at Pepsi I have yet to talk to a supervisor that has moved into management. You will, however, talk to the campus hires that are put into 3 supervisor positions before moving into their guaranteed managment position.

I am a hard worker. My employees get along with me very well. I work fast and hard from the moment I step in the plant. Yet, there hasn't been a manager, and plant manager for that matter, that I've met yet that doesn't step all over the supervisors at this facility. The managers have fired a 25 year supervisor for lack of performance, he must have been fine for the previous 24 years, I guess. They have angered three other supervisors into quitting. These supervisors had 10 years with the company, 15 years with the company and 5 years with the company.

The company has super high turnover in management all the way from supervisor to plant directors. Here is why... because the carbonated softdrinks (CSD) sector of the beverages industry is rapidly losing demand. These managers and directors are forced to cut labor at every single turn. So what happens? The Supervisors, literally, have to run the machines as an operator. Yes, the exact thing Pepsi was sued for and lost was this very same thing.

The two managers I've had so far do not debate the tasks pushed down to them. They choose not to understand the time it takes to complete projects or daily tasks they assign their employees. Instead, they choose to overestimate, over task and ultimately underperform because they believe management is hammering their employees for more with less. This is the ultimate reason for the high rate of turnover in the companies management.

Recommendation:
        If you are considering working for Pepsi, please do one of two things; take an hourly position or take the campus hire route with a guaranteed managers position after 1-2 years. Otherwise, the probability is, you will most likely be searching for an exit after about 1 - 2 years with the company.

Note* Below I rate the company outlook as decreasing because of the month to month sales losses in the CSD market.

I have yet to see the managers accept advice for those beneath them. I will say this though, you should

Rewarding adventure, I learned a lot of valuable skills

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Lakeland, FL

I worked at Pepsi Bottling full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and compensation. Fast paced environment.

Cons

Dealing with upper management that does not have a clue as to how the real world works.

Judge people for how they perform not whether the have a piece of paper hanging on the wall. Not all college grads are capable individuals.

MEM

I worked at Pepsi Bottling full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This was a great job with some over time

Cons

Can not think of any cons with this job

None

Never a dull moment

I have been working at Pepsi Bottling full-time

Pros

Great benefits, stability, opportunity for advancement

Cons

Lack of direction within each division, too many chiefs, not enough indians

Get on the same page

Great company and benefits!

Former Employee - Customer Marketing Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Marketing Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Pepsi Bottling full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Progressive, fast-paced, team oriented CPG company with great iconic brands. Both benefits and salaries are competitive. Would recommend working here!

Cons

Bottler integrated into PepsiCo, management changes and downsizing each year. Lots of changes, hard to keep up.

Interviewing process takes longer than expected, could be more efficient.

After corporate restructuring, provide rehiring process for downsized employees impacted due to the constant changes.

Great company with a great culture!

I worked at Pepsi Bottling full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was my second job out of college and I learned a significant amount about how to be a good manager. I'm grateful for the time I spent there and had many mentors to show for it.

Cons

I had numerous promotions in my time with the company and my only feedback would be at the time I left there was a consolidation that made it impossible to stay. That is not a reflection on the company just a fact of big business.

Continue growing and mentoring your managers. I know many people today that have gone on to very successful careers due to the training they gained from time with Pepsi. This is a great organization!

Previous DSL

I worked at Pepsi Bottling

Pros

Nothing comes to mind. This place was a joke. Poor management and poor HR equals disaster.

Cons

HR was the most crooked bunch I've ever been around. She has ruined many peoples lives because she only follows her agenda.

Keep the great leaders and stop letting HR run the company.

Better since the sales team went union

Current Employee - Account Sales Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Account Sales Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pepsi Bottling full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Knowledgeable and experienced coworkers with a solid work ethic and genuine passion for the business. Reachable sales goals. Decent pay.

Cons

Devil-may-care training process. Inexperienced and young management. Multinational company run like a mom and pop store. Shady compensation system. Low accountability for all areas except sales.

Listen to your frontline. They have more experience and have demonstrated more loyalty to this company than the vast majority of your lower and middle management. It would also go a long way to the health of your business if you opened up some tangible avenues of promotion instead of favoring college hires from such prestigious institutions as Chico State.

A decent place to work (warehouse loader)

Current Employee - Warehouse Loader in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Warehouse Loader in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Pepsi Bottling full-time (more than a year)

Pros

After two years working as an overnight warehouse loader, I've found that Pepsi works very hard to ensure that employees are recognized and appreciated.
    Pay and benefits are good for the work we do,
    Supervision is trained almost constantly on improving themselves as managers,
    A very solid place to work, obviously Pepsi is not going anywhere.
    Employee appreciation week every year, various events held for employees through the year,
    Any problems or issued are dealt with professionally and quickly.
    Safety is extremely important to them, they supply us with clothing and safety vests/t shirts for use in the warehouse.
    Higher management seems to consider our thoughts in matters, walkthroughs to chat during shifts to ask if we have any concerns.
    Can always be honest with them.

Cons

The shift can be... A challenge at times.
    Seven pm start, not knowing from day to day How long the shift will be. Usually eight hours, holidays can be a bear. Upwards of twelve hours plus. But they show appreciation for our work with small bonuses occasionally.
    Warehouse is union while the rest of the company is not.
    Being union workers denies us small privileges such as discounts on drinks for home consumption. No big deal.
    At times, it can feel as if management is "too fair"
    An issue with another employee will of course be addressed, but sometimes lacking in corrective action.
    Long nights of throwing cases can bring personality clashes, props for dealing the best they can, but really, it's ok to offend someone from time to time.
    Preach about clean as you go, but dont follow Through when most do not do so.
    Some of the "older" delivery drivers can be...
    "Difficult"
    If a truck is not loaded to their liking, they can appear... Childish.

It's hard to please everyone, you do try, and it is appreciated, follow through on WIP principals. Instead of pulling an employee from throwing to clean an aisle during shift, watch and have the offending employee clean up after himself. Perhaps that would get the message across.
    Your supervisors do a wonderful job of dealing with the varied personalities, but personally, i think the union and its mentality should be left out of the warehouse.
    Drivers and warehouse loaders should get together once in a while to avoid the issues that arise due to improper loading or any other concerns they may have between each other. Avoids the attitude that each side is just whining.
    Otherwise, really a good place to work.

Great job

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Pepsi Bottling full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great job with excellent benefits.

Cons

Long hours may be required.