PepsiCo Reviews in Chicago, IL

3.4
1,898 Reviews

PepsiCo Chairman and CEO Indra K. Nooyi
Indra K. Nooyi

Pros
  • Work life balance at Pepsico is the one shining facet that it holds (in 108 reviews)

• PepsiCo offers great pay and benefits and is truly a fun place to work (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to be focused on your own work life balance because there's so much to do (in 249 reviews)

• long hours hard physical work, stressful at times to complete all requried (in 170 reviews)

More Highlights

114 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent. Fair team players. Global opportunities.

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at PepsiCo as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Significant opportunities when you prove that you can do the job.

Cons

Slim opportunities outside of consulting arena.

None

So far so good!

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm just starting in the company but the orientation I went through was very well put together. I really appreciated the lunch and chat with existing employees to get useful hints and general recommendations for new hires. Everyone was very welcoming and really open to the thousand questions a new hire can ask. I was extremely encouraged by my manager to make the time to meet with all team members and even those outside our group right away to help ease my transition and to make sure I had a wealth of resources to reach out to. All of these points have made my start here excellent and makes me even more excited to jump into it all!

Cons

Again, I don't have much exerpience yet but what I've grasped thus far is that it's going to take asking a lot of questions to help make sure I understand everything. There are processes for some things, but not everything and some sections are better than others.

Nothing as of yet.

I didn't have an experience with Pepsi because they chose not to look at my Resume.

Former Employee - Truck Loader/Unloader in Kenosha, WI
    Former Employee - Truck Loader/Unloader in Kenosha, WI

I worked at PepsiCo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I would have liked to work there because of the challenges of the loading and unloading the various trucks and trailers.

Cons

I wouldn't know about the compensation or training because, again they chose not to hire me.

Please start giving people with a blemished past a chance. If they can't make a living wage who knows what may happen. Most people who are unfairly skipped over a job can deal well with it Others can't and won't deal well with it.

good working environment for women

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Barrington, IL
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Barrington, IL

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good working environment for women, very strict safety training and safety rules, lots of training opportunity, flexible working time

Cons

too many meetings and activities that decreases the efficiency, benefits package is not competitive compared to similar companies

Detailer for Frito-Lay (part-time)

Current Employee - Detailer in Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - Detailer in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at PepsiCo part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Starting pay ok, unsupervised environment

Cons

Limited to 20 hour work week except during various holidays. Very few advancement opportunities. Assignments can vary for large stores to small lower volume stores. Walmarts stores being the hardest to work because of crowded stock rooms.

The company should offer pay increases to part time employees. They increase part-time hours to 25-30 hours per week.

Work environment varies across teams in BIS/IT

Current Employee - BI/Data Management Assistant Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - BI/Data Management Assistant Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- I'm allowed to work from home once a week so that's nice.
    - I've encountered friendly managers here who will take their teams (and especially new hires) out to happy hour/networking events to get to know them better and offer career advice, but mine is not one of those.
    - There are a lot of remote teams, so if you have a helicoptering manager who is remote, at least your manager isn't literally breathing down your neck.
    - Decent range of healthcare options, extensive 401k portfolio options

Cons

- Vacation and sick time are rolled up together into paid time off. For someone who has to take sick days to accommodate the multiple long doctors' appointments out in the suburbs, it's rather unfortunate to think "Oh hurray, I've finally earned enough PTO to go see a doctor about all the health problems caused by working to get this time off!"
    - People here do work and answer emails while on vacation/sick day/paid time off. It's so prevalent, I have to wonder whether it is expected now.
    - At least in my IT department/team, people are treated as machine parts. Managers should help promote and advance their teams, encouraging them to work together as necessary to succeed, instead of breaking them down and working them in complete isolation.

The most productive employees are the ones who are satisfied with their work environment. Consider hiring managers who are good with people, not just good at their work, or consider having technical leads in addition to and separate from managers.

Great Company, Okay Job, Mediocre Processes and Management

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at PepsiCo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A great company with a wide variety of functions and brands/products to gain experience in.
    Many opportunities to join "employee Engagement" groups with others in your same background or function.
    Many managers provided you with a decent amount of face time so it was relatively easy to address questions, etc.
    Some nice perks, such as casual dress code, half day Fridays in the summer and at the holidays, on-site cafeteria.

Cons

Compensation varied greatly among those in the same level or function.
    Poor onboarding process for all functions.
    Information was slow to trickle down from senior leadership.
    Work/life balance is very poor across all functions and levels.
    Meeting overload was a constant issue - too many cooks in the kitchen contributed to this.

Improve the on boarding process!
    Make sure people are in jobs they can do and don't push them into ones they don't want/aren't ready for.
    Provide more visibility to open positions in other business units.

On-boarding process went very well

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being new, I don't know too much yet. The on-boarding process was fairly smooth. They did a good job with the orientation and my manager had everything ready to go to get me started day 1. The perks are great. Free oatmeal in the morning at the Plaza in Chicago, cheap on-site health club, etc.

Cons

Everything is VERY corporate. There is a set way to do everything. Being new, it has been challenging to learn the right process and who the right people are to talk to. Some people take for granted that a newcomer may not know all the right procedures. LOTS of bizarre acronyms are used. They even joke about it in the orientation.

Making an impact everyday!

Current Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Love the benefits, career opportunities and ability interact with leadership across all areas of the organization. Our team takes calculated risks and continues to improve in bringing our entire team along for the journey. We're also becoming a more global organization within our function which is exciting!

Cons

Resources are spread very thin and I've seen members of the team burn out / walk away from great opportunities in the name of having a better work-life balance.

Be consistent in the experiences and opportunities given to team members across all levels and areas of the organization.

Great company

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company offers summer hours which is great for work-Life balance and I've had the pleasure of having great co-workers. There is great opportunities for those within the company. The company values compliment those of my own.

Cons

I think a challenge would be there seems to be a lot of under the table. Communications is definitely something to work on

If someone takes on more responsibilities consider rewards for this.