PepsiCo

PepsiCo Reviews in Plano, TX

Updated Jul 29, 2014

PepsiCo Chairman and CEO Indra K. Nooyi

Indra K. Nooyi

Pros
  • Work life balance was given to those who handled it responsibly (in 99 reviews)

• great pay and benefits, plenty of opportunities for growth, very stable company (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to be focused on your own work life balance because there's so much to do (in 218 reviews)

• long hours hard physical work, stressful at times to complete all requried (in 153 reviews)

More Highlights
117 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place to Intern and Work

BIS Intern (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsI am in the last few weeks of my summer internship with the PepsiCo BIS in Plano, TX. It has been an incredible experience. I have been put in real working situations and given responsibilities that full time employees would receive. They put you on a team and you work for them as if you were there full time. It is a great way to get a feel for the job and the company as a whole. They offer plenty of tours and events with other interns to meet executives and experience the welcoming culture of PepsiCo firsthand. We actually had the opportunity to have a video conference with Indra herself which just shows the emphasis PepsiCo puts on fostering new talent.

As for pay, they definitely make it worth my time. They also gave us money for housing which was great as I had to travel across the country to work here and I wouldn't feel comfortable living in a really cheap area of town. In our division, we have a good chance of getting full time offers if we work hard and exhibit the skills that PepsiCo values, which is also a huge perk. I have heard there are opportunities to progress within the company as well but I can't say much about that as an intern. I have, however, seen that PepsiCo offers tons of training courses and certifications to continue growing your career.

It is right next to plenty of other large corporate offices like Capital One and Intel. Overall, it is an incredible area to live. I can't complain at all about the location. They also offer summer hours which means we can get half day Fridays to be with friends and family.

Overall, this is a great place to intern and work. It has very competitive salaries and the working environment can't be beat. Highly recommend.

ConsThere haven't been a ton of cons. One thing that has been difficult to adjust to is the very diverse employee population. There are occasional language and cultural barriers in the workplace, but that can be seen as a pro in terms of talent and new perspectives.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to reach out to the interns. The information and enthusiasm provided by management is what creates the environment that makes PepsiCo great.

A fun, engaging, and challenging immersion into fast-paced engineering and product development.

Research Engineer (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsI HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS INTERNSHIP!

This internship is challenging, rewarding, collaborative and results-driven. At first I was given a lot of nurture and guidance on how to begin my project, but within a matter of weeks the guard-rails came off and my project really became my own. I decided what steps to take, how to get there, who to collaborate with to make it there, and I managed the time around my own project. However, the support was always there if I needed it with a large team of management and technical resources. Since I worked in R&D, my project was technically challenging and it was amazing seeing that my research had immediate business impact on millions of dollars. It was very rewarding to progress in the project and see it take shape. It made it exciting and I wanted to keep going. We had to present project progress every month to senior leadership, including vice presidents and senior scientists. This was intimidating at first, but it helped me cultivate crucial skills in communicating complicated scientific research succinctly to management so they could make decisions. This internship really equipped me for a professional career.

Also, speaking of work-life balance, the company culture and atmosphere at PepsiCo (I worked at Frito-Lay) is really unbeatable. Everybody is upbeat, fast-paced and willing to get their hands dirty to help you. Yet everyone is ready to go home at 5 P.M. and be with their families and enjoy the weekend. Work-life balance is important here and the friendly culture here will make you believe it. I cannot express enough the impression the warm people at this company made on me to make me feel at home and like I was a meaningful part of the family.

One last thing: this company is ethically responsible and driven to make enjoyable products that are good for society, which is very important to me. I was very impressed learning about the company's goals and seeing all of it in action. You could not pick a more ethical company in the industry to work for, in my opinion. PepsiCo strives to make healthier, safer products that leave a smaller footprint on the environment but still taste delicious and bring smiles to people's faces. Working here, you will really take pride seeing your work on a shelf and knowing the work that went into bringing it there.

ConsThe first few weeks of internship can be overwhelming. Mountains of training and meetings and you immediately present on your project just a couple weeks after arriving when you don't really know much of anything. It's a lot of pressure all at once with a lot of new faces, but it eases up soon enough when you get the hang of things. The internship was also heavy in statistics, so if you're weak in statistics, you might struggle. Also, the corporate structure is very defined, which can be a pro or a con depending on how you want to progress in a company. Here at Frito-Lay, you get promotions at a defined pace as you move up in levels and there's little deviation outside that model. If you like less structure in your corporate ladder, this might be a downside for you. Finally, I had to work significant overtime to handle my project in the 12-week time frame. The nature of the experiments in my project often required me to stay longer than a 9 hour business day, so I had to work more than I was expecting. However, they pay well for overtime and you can manage it as your project needs it.

PepsiCo seems like a great company that clearly values the retention and development of their employees.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsDecent pay, friendly culture, results-driven mentality, work-life balance (employees feel comfortable using the gym and outdoor running trails or basketball courts at lunch), adequate training resources, comfortable travel accommodations, horizontal rotations every 18 months, half-day Fridays all summer, and between Thanksgiving and Christmas

ConsThings seem to move somewhat slow as expected with a company of this size. Many organizational layers, and may be difficult to be noticed in such a large talent pool.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue focus on training and employee development through frequent job rotations. Allow top performing employees to work from home occasionally.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Internship Program

BIS Intern (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsPepsiCo has a great internship program. They schedule a lot of events for you to really get the feel of the company's culture. Everyone is very welcoming and wants to help the interns get the most of the summer. The feel of the BIS function is very relaxed and supportive, but everyone also works hard to get the job done. A very stress-free internship experience. They really care about the future employees of the company and there is a lot of room to grow here. They also pay very well for an internship. They allow for a good work/life balance. Made many friends within the company.

ConsThey did not give me very much responsibility or work to do, so it was difficult to learn new skills through this internship. Learned a lot about the corporate world and how a large company works, but because of the lack of tasks I was given, I didn't necessarily learn any new technical skills. Sometimes I was bored with nothing to do. They focus a lot on you getting to know the PepsiCo culture, but almost not enough on what a real time job in BIS would be like. However, I understand that giving a lot of responsibility to an intern can be risky, and that most likely internships at other companies would be similar.

Outstanding work environment

Talent Acquisition Senior Manager (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsThe people at this company are top shelf. Not only do I work with the best and brightest but I enjoy them from a personal standpoint. This is a place for people that are high-energy and want to win. The company continues to evolve from a food and beverage standpoint which is exciting to see. Salary is extremely fair compared to the rest of the market.

ConsWorkload is huge but that's what you sign up for when joining the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to evolve from a healthy food and beverage offering.

Great stable company, best compensation

Director (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsCompensation is excellent compared to many of the F50 corporations. Stable organization. Opportunities to move up exist below the Sr. Manager level and most hires are internal employees.

ConsMoving up is very political especially at the Sr. Manager and above level, need to have connections, many of the staff have been here for a long time so not much innovation in IT and lack of acceptance to change.

Fantastic company to work for!

Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsGreat flexibility, competitive salary, fun corporate culture, lots of collaboration, reasonable career growth, also very innovative - not just with the product development but also within each function's workstream

ConsWhile not a con for everyone, PepsiCo is a very fast paced work environment, which results in constant process changes and new technology to learn on a constant basis. This can be a huge hurdle for certain types of personalities.

Fun Place to Work

Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsCollaborative work environment, management helps with career growth by delegating project work and teaming you up with a mentor. Work life balance and employee resource groups are viewed as a must by all employees and management. Starbucks and Gym on site at FLNA HQ.

ConsLong hours at times, Cafeteria food - bland and cost is too high, building needs a remodel.

Frito Lay - good pay but low raises and few chances to advance

Accounting (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsGood salary compared to similar companies, good work-life balance, tuition reimbursement, free chips at lunch

ConsCareer growth is entirely your responsibility. You write your own performance review then worry about whether you put enough in to be ranked well enough to get more than a 1.5% raise. Few openings for lower level positions and they're more likely to hire an outside candidate than promote from within and train. Extreme budget cuts will continue, so unless you're at HQ, there is little fun going on. Desks are so overloaded, employees don't feel comfortable taking training courses or participating in employee groups, while managers are in endless meetings. Tired of the constant paranoia about the next layoff or outsourcing, because there's been several in the past few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't play favorites. Employees need more help with career growth and holding people back because they're too valuable to their current area just makes them disengaged and want to leave. If you're going to start a new initiative, don't make everyone buy into it if it's only going to be abandoned 6 months down the road, like they usually are. If ERGs are so important, let people participate.

Frito-Lay: Good place to work with lots of opportunities

Financial Manager (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsMany employee resource groups
    Fun work environment
    In house salon and fitness center
    Back up care benefits
    Half day Fridays
    Many opportunities for diverse experiences
    Finance perspective valued
    Very smart people

ConsAggressive perspective on career advancement - expected to move on to new roles every 18 - 24 months; slowing down for work/life balance or different career goals not respected

Certain groups (new MBAs, TX grads) clearly exalted over more tenured, experienced employees

Worked for PepsiCo? Contribute to the Community!