PepsiCo

3.4
2,166 Reviews

PepsiCo Chairman and CEO Indra K. Nooyi
Indra K. Nooyi

Pros
  • Work life balance at Pepsico is the one shining facet that it holds (in 111 reviews)

• PepsiCo offers great pay and benefits and is truly a fun place to work (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to be focused on your own work life balance because there's so much to do (in 259 reviews)

• long hours hard physical work, stressful at times to complete all requried (in 174 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to start off your career... but is slow to promote

I worked at PepsiCo

Pros

Great training and experience, fun place to work

Cons

Lots of cut backs, morale seemed down, not like it "used to be"

My time here was pleasant and enjoyable for the work that I was doing.

Former Employee - Full Time Merchandiser in Conroe, TX
    Former Employee - Full Time Merchandiser in Conroe, TX

I worked at PepsiCo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There's no boss breathing down your neck even though you have to comply with the store rules/procedures that you're in.

Cons

A challenge I faced here was typical with all sales driven places was that some of the orders were pretty bad and you have to work through pretty much all of them if you're competent.

Advice to management would be to offer more room for advancement and not to play favorites.

This used to be a great company to work for.

Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Lancaster, CA
    Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Lancaster, CA

I worked at PepsiCo full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I first started working for Frito Lay back in 2004. The hiring process was quite extensive and for good reason. The hiring process weeded out candidates that weren't suited for the job and allowed for a more refined search for qualified, reliable hires. At the time everyone was hired to make roughly 50K (or better) per year which was not difficult if you applied yourself. Each new hire was given 1 week of classroom training followed by 5 weeks of one on one "in the field" training with a seasoned/experienced sales rep. My last three years of employment there I averaged $70K per year. Not bad for a job not requiring a college education. I really liked the job as your pay was based on how hard you worked (base rate + commission). Even with the long hours, it was/is the only job I've ever had where i wished I could at times, stop the clock. The days went by extremely fast even when working a 14hour day.

Cons

One of the biggest challenges was learning product codes (no longer relevant since the intro of new computers in 2008). For new hires currently seeking employment the biggest obstacle would be getting familiar with the hand held computer, learning schematics (where to place each brand of snack), and some very long hours (I would often start at 2am and not complete my day until 4 or 5pm). On average I would say that I worked 11-12 hour days, but almost always had the support of management to help complete my goals.

I have two pieces of advice for those in the decision making realm. First, I feel that the "customer service" aspect of Frito's long standing tradition has been put to pasture, and the focus now seems to be geared more towards numbers; making more profit, reducing that quality of service that was once held in such high esteem. I used to feel that I was part of a family offering a "believed in" product and service to our customers. In the past few years, that sense of belonging has been replaced with a "just get the product delivered and move on" feel. Overtime (a variable-rate overtime) was never an issue in the past. It meant we (the sales reps) were doing our job(s) of not only getting those sales, but creating those strong relationship with our clients thereby securing future requests of displays, end-caps, and additional sales. My second concern was for those rare occasions when a rep needed to call in sick or request a day off due to illness or family issue. Not once in the 9 years of service I provided was I ever granted a day off without being tongue lashed or questioned repeatedly about how important my showing up was. Regardless of how terrible I felt or my children felt, it always seemed like the end of the world that I (we) had the audacity to get sick. Never once were I or my fellow sales reps simply told,"Hope you feel better," or "No worries, we'll see you tomorrow."

Pepsi Co is an organization that challenges you to be your best personally and professionally

Current Employee - Innovation in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Innovation in Plano, TX

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You will work with the best and brightest, you have constant opportunities to train and improve yourself, if you enjoy change and setting your own path they give you that flexibility, ....you will be held to high standards and will need to demonstrate your ability to deliver results.

Cons

The pace of change and accountability, sometimes without the right resources, can be challenging. Resulting in a need to personally find a balance between your work and personal life.

great place

Current Employee - Lawn Mower
    Current Employee - Lawn Mower

I have been working at PepsiCo

Pros

Great Company i really like it

Cons

great company i really like it

Director

I have been working at PepsiCo

Pros

culture, work-life balance, flexibility, training

Cons

Compensation and benefits are declining quickly.

Returning value to the shareholder return is becoming significantly disproportional to returning value to the employee

anything for now

Current Employee - Computer Systems Analyst in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Computer Systems Analyst in Orlando, FL

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time (less than a year)

Pros

better and excellence company

Cons

PepsiCo it is largest company in world anyone would love it to work on this great location like that

be the best employer for the company

Marketing

Former Employee - Marketing Director
    Former Employee - Marketing Director

I worked at PepsiCo full-time

Pros

Very smart people who are passionate about understanding the consumer.

Cons

Long hours, must have ability to manage the matrix organization.

Merchandiser

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Carrollton, TX

I worked at PepsiCo

Pros

Good benefits, you get to work on your own and not a bad starting pay.

Cons

waking up like 3am in the morning to start your routes. No pay raise. Dealing with store receivers can be a nightmare sometimes.

Great Internship Opportunity at Frito-Lay HQ

Former Intern - Supply Chain in Plano, TX
    Former Intern - Supply Chain in Plano, TX

I worked at PepsiCo as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

YOU HAVE REAL IMPACT ON THE BUSINESS - As a PepsiCo intern at Frito-Lay Headquarters, I was able to gain perspective on the entire business on a national level. The projects I worked on were mainly ad-hoc, but I was able to build them into existing systems and see the direct impacts of my contributions in a short period of time. My work has been passed on and has continued to be used in national performance reporting efforts.

EXPOSURE TO CORPORATE CULTURE - PepsiCo (and especially Frito-Lay) does a good job of exposing interns to the company culture and its leaders through an executive speaker series, networking events, and product giveaways. From my experiences with employees, retention is very high; many people I worked with had been working for the company 20+ years. Additionally, corporate resource groups and activities such as kickball added a sense of camaraderie that reinforced the team-oriented atmosphere.

STRONG NETWORKING OPPORTUNITIES - As an intern, I had the opportunity to work with a large group of people that I developed relationships with over the course of my experience. PepsiCo's employees are generally eager to help one another, and I learned to be approachable while also taking initiative. Events such as the national intern report-out at the end of the internship solidified my ability to meet and properly network with people from across the business, which I found to be very rewarding.

I highly recommend Frito-Lay's internship program to anyone interested, as I found it to be a rewarding experience.

Cons

MANAGER DEFINES YOUR EXPERIENCE - The internship experience as a whole is a positive one; however, your overall impact is dependent on the manager you receive. Fortunately, I had an awesome manager who went out of her way to make sure I got the most out of my experience and that I was noticed for the work I did. Other interns I talked to did not have the same experience.

NO FULL-TIME OFFER - When I participated in this internship I was a sophomore in college, so I was not considered for a full-time offer as they were reserved for graduating seniors. I have not received any offers since, despite being highly praised for my work and having a strong network built up.

Please continue to grow the internship program and invest in the young talent that exists there. As a large company quick changes are difficult, but I believe that the company's success lies in its ability to attract, develop, AND RETAIN interns and young professionals.