PepsiCo Reviews

3.4
PepsiCo Chairman and CEO Indra K. Nooyi
Indra K. Nooyi
1,027 Ratings

Pros
  • Great Work/Life Balance environment (in 111 reviews)

• Above to slightly above average pay and benefits (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Talk of work-life balance is not uniformly adhered to (in 259 reviews)

• very long hours no work life balance (in 174 reviews)

2,696 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Current Employee - LD&T Coordinator
    Current Employee - LD&T Coordinator

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by talented and motivated people. I've worked several jobs in my life and PepsiCo is by far the best. They really care about their employees and the opportunities are there for the taking. You will have to be dedicated and work hard to achieve what you want in this company, but that is what makes success at PepsiCo feel so good. I have never been more excited to go to work or felt more at home in any other company than I do at PepsiCo.

Cons

The company is so big that it is sometimes easy to get lost in the maze of businesses, divisions, brands, and their various levels of management, but this is common in any large organization.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the development of lower level employees. I have seen many move on to become phenomenon managers because of the coaching and development they were given early in their career at PepsiCo.

PepsiCo Response

May 22, 2015 – Talent Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are happy to hear you are enjoying being a part of the PepsiCo family!

A great stepping stone, great second master's degree, or path to baldness

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Purchase, NY

Pros

Good platform to jump from; in 3yrs I have seen co-workers all leave the company (at less than 1.5yrs served) to other roles for +30% salary. Good best practices; when I speak to colleagues about how we execute our planning, at the level of detail, with our level of control, I am listened to for guidance. A good second masters degree; generally a very well run program-I joined PepsiCo because I wanted a tighter run org in my life and was exhausted from having to inherit others' past lapses-PepsiCo finance is that very tight and well run machine, its good exposure into how to approach solid financial modeling and planning.

Cons

Overlapping & conflicting deliverables. Lack of respect towards employees. Large turnover. High stress in an investment banking attitude type life. Make corn syrup for America. Extreme, reads extreme, social engineering in promotion: in interviewing candidates for my department the focus has always been in the end to extend offers only to diversity qualifying candidates before those best qualified should they not fit that diversity background. Diversity inside PepsiCo is a verb; in three years I have seen bad results from this and there are race problems brewing within the ranks here. It is very unfortunate because by instituting a bonus structure to those Mgrs which hire a diversity candidate an artificial rainbow is created & doesn't work well together.

Advice to Management

Follow up with the Org Health Surveys conducted every 2 yrs, they are amazingly precise, well designed, and completely ignored.

3. The culture of Frito Lay is very different, driven primarily by politics and by tenure at Frito Lay.

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Plano, TX

Pros

- Work life balance: Frito give half-day Fridays during the summer and business travel for most jobs is relatively low. - Job stability: Frito is in a very stable industry and works hard to avoid lay-offs. - Dallas location: Dallas is a great place to work and live.

Cons

- Very political work environment: Politics often outweigh qualifications and job performance. - Lack of integrity: Information is often manipulated or "spun" to provide the most positive perception. - Arrogance and ignorance of those who have been at Frito their entire careers; Many at Frito think Frito is a world class organization but only because they have never worked at a world class organization like GE or P&G. - Little value put on experience from other companies

Advice to Management

- Reduce the influence of politics in Frito culture - Learn to value and respect outside experience - Walk the talk; Do what you say and say what you mean

5. Not as good an employer as everyone thinks!

Pros

Oppurtunity to work overtime, decent benefits.

Cons

Forced overtime, no individual recognition.

Advice to Management

See employees as individuals and not as a group. Realize that if it were not for the hourly employees there would be no product to sell.

6. Big Company with a bad reputation

Former Employee - District Sales Leader in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - District Sales Leader in Cleveland, OH

Pros

You do make some great friends here.

Cons

Long hours for little pay, holidays are a day to spend with family and friends, not slinging chips at a WalMart all day, upper management plays "favorites."

Advice to Management

There is a reason most your management team can't take this place for more than 3 years...listen to them! You need to realize there is a balance between family life and work life and not every single holiday should be controlled by Frito. If a DC is a revolving door for employees and management is consistently running routes, this generally means there are larger issues in the organization & you should take a good, long look at the Zone running that city.

7. Wow, 10 years and I'm still doing what I hate!

Current Employee - RSR in Visalia, CA
    Current Employee - RSR in Visalia, CA

Pros

The best and maybe the only reason to work at Frito-Lay is money. You WILL work long hours, but it is good pay if you have no degree or are just getting that first good job

Cons

Some of the many downsides of working at Frito are LONG hours, lack of respect, little oppertunity for advancement, unreal sales expectations. This company will work you until your body can't do it any more, and then they'll get rid of you and replace you with some other idiot blinded by a decent paycheck. I was once told if I didn't like the way my manager was treating me, there was a stack of applications waiting for my job. Nice way to put it.

Advice to Management

Please strat treating employees as the valuable minds that they are. We are not just work horses.

Stay away from Frito Lay if you want to have a life.

Former Employee - DSL in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - DSL in Cambridge, MA

Pros

For a person who likes to stick their noses up the boss's ass you will get ahead. The technology at Frito and Pepsi is years ahead of the competition.

Cons

Bad Management. Poor communication. Back- Stabbing encouraged. Management plays favorites. Operations has a bigger say than sales.

Advice to Management

Too many meetings to solve the same re-occurring problems. Roundtable after roundtable and the problems still exist. Get rid of the arrogance that exists. Customers are shaking their heads as to how Frito turns people. Everything falls to lower management so if something goes wrong it's their fault. Too much delegation. The company needs to treat the sales force with respect. Very few employees are happy delivering chips because of the moral and the way they are trated.

Let the new hire beware

Current Employee - Route Sales in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Route Sales in Detroit, MI

Pros

If you can stick it out until you get a route, the money can be pretty decent depending on what type of route it is. Not all routes are created equal. One would thing sales reps delivering to large grocery stores and super-centers would be paid the most because of the exposure and the importance of keeping these large accounts filled, but you would be wrong, the best paid reps have the the small gas stations, convience stores, and liquor stores. The health insurance is decent, but it is expensive. However, the vision program is very good, or so I have been told by the sales people at the eye-glass store.

Cons

The hours can be brutal, getting up at 3:00am and many times putting in 10+ hours a day. There are very few routes that run Mon-Fri so be prepared to work weekends. The split work-week is the worst, off Wed and Sat. You never get a weekend off, and if a holiday falls on a Monday, expect management to pressure you into working that day, and do not expect to get comped for it. They will offer an extra day's base pay. They attempt to treat holidays as if they were just another work day, but do not expect to see any managment there on a holiday, they are out enjoying the time off with their family. There are no personal days, and very few sick days, and if you take a sick day, management will pressure you work still make all your service calls.

Advice to Management

Recognition, recognition, recognition! Not some silly dinner where nothing of value is past out, but real programs that benefit the sales rep and his/her family. There is no bonus program in place, and no real positive incentives to do anything except but get by. It is very frustraing to essentially be working to earn someone else a bonus and recognition and receive little to none for the person who did the job. As it stands right now, there is not one positive motivational tool being used in the Detroit area, every thing punishment and negative. The moral has always been low, but since the change in upper management, it is downright dismal.

No Life When You Work At Frito Lay

Current Employee - Packer in Fayetteville, TN
    Current Employee - Packer in Fayetteville, TN

Pros

They have Good Pay and Benfits

Cons

You never no when you will have a day off. You can never plan anything till that day becouse they own you.

Advice to Management

Find a way to be able to have days off and know, so you can plan with somthing with your famliy.

Get out while you still have a marriage...

Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The salary is at or above the industry standard, you develop a close bond with other RSR's, benefits are excellent, and relocation possibilities are limitless.

Cons

If you are married or have kids, you better tattoo their faces on every crevice of your body because you will NEVER see them. Expect work weeks from 50-75 hours a week. Having your days off split up means you never feel fully rested to restart your day on the job. You will work EVERY holiday. They tell you not to work Christmas but all you are really doing is doubling your workload on another day. They make you work a day for free. You have to sign a wavier specifying that you will not help during your "Route Ride" but if you don't then you will not get hired. Someone will eventually get hurt one day and sue. Everything is about numbers and you basically compete with yourself. Horrible treatment of employees, horrible company.

Advice to Management

Think of ways to shorten the work weeks, Try to have a more realistic approach in regard to dealing with your RSR's.

Showing 2,696 of 2,913 reviews