PepsiCo

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.3 1,705 reviews

PepsiCo Chairman and CEO Indra K. Nooyi

Indra K. Nooyi

Pros
  • Work life balance was given to those who handled it responsibly (in 99 reviews)

• great pay and benefits, plenty of opportunities for growth, very stable company (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to be focused on your own work life balance because there's so much to do (in 218 reviews)

• long hours hard physical work, stressful at times to complete all requried (in 153 reviews)

More Highlights
1,705 Employee Reviews

The hardest job I've ever had in my life.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe only reason to work for Frito Lay is the pay.

ConsWorking as a packer on the line at Frito Lay was like working in a sweat shop. You are forced to work 12 hour shifts day after day. It is very hard physical labor. You are treated as if you owe the company more than your pay just to be there. You are constantly threatened that you will be fired for the slightest reasons. I was hired on with 2 other packers. The first week, one was fired. 3 weeks later the other one quit. I lasted 6 weeks before I couldn't take the 88 degree heat in the warehouse, the 12 hour days with 2 fifteen minute breaks and one half hour lunch, the constant loud noise of machines running, horns going off, sirens blasting. Constantly being told you will be fired or written up for minor infractions or mistakes, working on lines so hard to keep up with they actually nicknamed one "death row".

My fellow line workers were kind and helpful as I struggled to keep up with the lines. But some PMO's (product machine operators) and supervisors could be cold and even cruel. After working hours with no let up, 5 minutes before your shift ends, soaked from head to toe with sweat, you are coldly told you will work another 4 hour shift before you can go home. If you refuse you will be fired. This is the rule, not the exception.

You pack hundreds of boxes and many pallets a day. Some boxes can run up to 10 pounds that you have to toss on pallets 7 boxes high whether you are a 98 pound elderly woman or a 6 ft tall young man. Once a pallet is full you push it back on a track, lift and extremely heavy solid pallet in its place and drop it, log in the time you packed the previous pallet you rolled on the track, enter it into a computer and get back to the line which has continued to run so you have to play catch up to get the bags of chips packed that were missed while you were taking care of the pallets because it is frowned upon if the bags get backed up on the line. They literally fall off of the short conveyor into a bin. This is called overflow. Overflow is shameful and you are taught to fight having overflow at all times.

The company name and the promise of a good wage lure you in but once you make it through the near impossible interview process, the shock of the sweat shop conditions is overwhelming.

Advice to Senior ManagementI encourage hire level management to spend one week on the packing line ala "under cover boss." Maybe then things will change for these hard working people on the line. It's top late for me. But dang these people deserve better.

Packer

Packer (Former Employee) Jonesboro, AR

ProsThe hourly salary was really good compared to other surrounding companies.

ConsNo chance for advancement to management positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees

no room for advancement

Bay Delivery Driver (Current Employee) Kearny, NJ

Prosthe union is the only decent thing in this place. fellow union employees are great hard working people.

Consmanagement positions are given to college kids. they do not give you any tools or knowledge to do your job. complete lack of communication. trucks are loaded like crap. all in all one of the most mismanaged companies ever.

Advice to Senior Managementget your act together. give people with experience a chance. give your employees the tools needed to get the job done.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible.....

Merchandiser (Current Employee) Melbourne, FL

ProsBig company to move around and find other positions.

ConsTerrible hours and too much work for not enough pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey don't care about the merchandisers....

Terrible

Anonymous (Current Employee) Mumbai (India)

ProsDecent Salary... good brand name...

ConsWork 7 days a week...
    Do not get off even on National / Public holidays
    Serious lack of leadership...
    Nobody knows what to drive.
    People are treated as slaves. Always threatened with dire consequences.
    Company works on Blame & Threat model.
    Only lickers get ahead...

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are at the top for a purpose... learn to strategise and have a long term approach... treat people like human beings...

Miserable

Bay Delivery Driver (Current Employee) Toledo, OH

ProsYou get a paycheck. The next week you get another paycheck.

ConsMiserable. They will own you. Unrealistic expectations. They preach something they call "work - life balance", but it doesn't exist. It only exists in the job reviews from "talent recruiters". No positive reinforcement for hard work. Management leads with criticism and threats.

My location hired 6 new route drivers off the street. 3 months later they have all quit. Why? Because the beatings will always continue until moral improves.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be a boss, be a leader. Have empathy. Use positive reinforcement. Try to act happy...management is always so angry and irritable.

Stay away

Campus Hire (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGreat company name but not what was promised.

ConsStart work at 5 am and then work 12-14 hour days. Don't need a college degree to do this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote college recruits to keep them happy.

Weigh the Pros and Cons

RSR Route Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat pay... um... benefits are alright.

Conslong hours, uncommunicative upper management, not enough support, super early hours (sometimes starting as early as 2 am), vacation time must be bid about a year ahead of time and is very nonflexible

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with sales team, hire to replace outgoing workers before the understaffing becomes an issue

Vets needing a chance!

ProsDon't know was not given the chance

ConsWhy don't you hire dedicated individuals? I feel sorry you only hire people that know employees that work for your company, your lost, I know a vet that would of kicked butt with your company!

A company in decline.

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsIt is still better than working at McDonald's, but only because of the much better pay. If you are desperate for a job, it will do until you find something else.

ConsThis used to be a great place to work, in fact, it was once among the very best. PepsiCo just completed a three year $3 Billion dollar "productivity" initiative. For employees, it was like burning the furniture to keep the lights on. After staff reductions in 6 of the last 7 years, this also meant carrying the load for those missing bodies. In each of those years PepsiCO still managed to increase the dividend and profits. Do the math, it doesn't happen like magic.

When they thanked us all for successfully achieving the goals in that initiative, they announced a new 5 year $5 Billion dollar initiative.

Each time morale sinks to a new low, and you can't imagine things getting worse....it does. We are already using some of the oldest technology in the business. The IT division only recently upgraded laptops off of Windows XP...and only because Microsoft finally kicked the old girl off the supported OS list. Recently, several large groups of employees were essentially auctioned off to the lowest outsourcing contract vendor. These employees woke up one day to hear that they had the choice of becoming an employee of the vendor, or losing their jobs. A tactic designed to ensure the company wouldn't have to pay unemployment benefits. As far as how well that is going, one affected employee quoted Lando Calrissian, "This deal keeps getting worse all the time." For anyone that was lost on, that was in reference to a deal Lando made with Darth Vader. Which ironically, is a lot like working for PepsiCo. Because in management, much like rats on a sinking ship, only the one's willing to eat their own young climb to the top of the mast to survive.

If you are one of our unfortunate interns, please put a higher emphasis on your other offers. Unless of course you have a certain nostalgia for entry level equipment and other antiquated technology, a love for having work completely dominate your life, and no aspirations to work for a company doing more for the world than helping people make themselves fat.

Worked for PepsiCo? Contribute to the Community!