PepsiCo

Updated Jul 26, 2014

3.3 1,684 reviews

PepsiCo Chairman and CEO Indra K. Nooyi

Indra K. Nooyi

Pros
  • Work life balance was given to those who handled it responsibly(in 99 reviews)

• great pay and benefits, plenty of opportunities for growth, very stable company(in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to be focused on your own work life balance because there's so much to do(in 218 reviews)

• long hours hard physical work, stressful at times to complete all requried(in 153 reviews)

1,684 Employee Reviews

A fun, engaging, and challenging immersion into fast-paced engineering and product development.

Research Engineer (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsI HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS INTERNSHIP!

This internship is challenging, rewarding, collaborative and results-driven. At first I was given a lot of nurture and guidance on how to begin my project, but within a matter of weeks the guard-rails came off and my project really became my own. I decided what steps to take, how to get there, who to collaborate with to make it there, and I managed the time around my own project. However, the support was always there if I needed it with a large team of management and technical resources. Since I worked in R&D, my project was technically challenging and it was amazing seeing that my research had immediate business impact on millions of dollars. It was very rewarding to progress in the project and see it take shape. It made it exciting and I wanted to keep going. We had to present project progress every month to senior leadership, including vice presidents and senior scientists. This was intimidating at first, but it helped me cultivate crucial skills in communicating complicated scientific research succinctly to management so they could make decisions. This internship really equipped me for a professional career.

Also, speaking of work-life balance, the company culture and atmosphere at PepsiCo (I worked at Frito-Lay) is really unbeatable. Everybody is upbeat, fast-paced and willing to get their hands dirty to help you. Yet everyone is ready to go home at 5 P.M. and be with their families and enjoy the weekend. Work-life balance is important here and the friendly culture here will make you believe it. I cannot express enough the impression the warm people at this company made on me to make me feel at home and like I was a meaningful part of the family.

One last thing: this company is ethically responsible and driven to make enjoyable products that are good for society, which is very important to me. I was very impressed learning about the company's goals and seeing all of it in action. You could not pick a more ethical company in the industry to work for, in my opinion. PepsiCo strives to make healthier, safer products that leave a smaller footprint on the environment but still taste delicious and bring smiles to people's faces. Working here, you will really take pride seeing your work on a shelf and knowing the work that went into bringing it there.

ConsThe first few weeks of internship can be overwhelming. Mountains of training and meetings and you immediately present on your project just a couple weeks after arriving when you don't really know much of anything. It's a lot of pressure all at once with a lot of new faces, but it eases up soon enough when you get the hang of things. The internship was also heavy in statistics, so if you're weak in statistics, you might struggle. Also, the corporate structure is very defined, which can be a pro or a con depending on how you want to progress in a company. Here at Frito-Lay, you get promotions at a defined pace as you move up in levels and there's little deviation outside that model. If you like less structure in your corporate ladder, this might be a downside for you. Finally, I had to work significant overtime to handle my project in the 12-week time frame. The nature of the experiments in my project often required me to stay longer than a 9 hour business day, so I had to work more than I was expecting. However, they pay well for overtime and you can manage it as your project needs it.

Sales District Leader

Sales District Leader (Former Employee) Nampa, ID

ProsStable Wall street performance based Company. If you are new and out of college, good company to leap frog from.

ConsPoor managing skills of local Unit manager. Not a good company for long term employees. Company likes to save money by hiring new college Grads with out experience and replace veterans. Good company for five years and out the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company was built by seasoned and long term employees. Sometimes it would be great to see a few of them stay around after you make your employee changes.

Packer

Packer (Former Employee) Jonesboro, AR

ProsThe hourly salary was really good compared to other surrounding companies.

ConsNo chance for advancement to management positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company; great supporting teams, too much politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood company to work for.

ConsNot too great in compensation.

Working Environment

Marketing Executive (Current Employee) Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

ProsLimitedless Pepsico goodies like: Lays, Quakers, Tropicana... Further, really learn a great deal of FMCG marketing theories and executional work in here.

ConsFair amount of work but to be expected to work overtime during peak seasons.

Good Culture

ProsOpportunities to advance. Good entry level pay. Management respects need for work life balance.

Consadvancement largely left up to you. Pay as you progress becomes less appealing until you make it to the executive level.

Those who seek a work life balance need not apply

District Sales Leader (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits are descent, pay was competitive 15 years ago.

ConsEmployees have to take a pay cut if they want to move into entry level management. Then you spend the next 5-10 years trying to make back the money you lost from getting promoted. Work life balance sucks.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe expectations put on the frontline team are unreasonable. The company is moving to be more productive like most companies these days, but it is getting harder to finish the workload in a normal 12 hour day. Many days are more like 13-14 hours. Very hard to be positive for the frontline sales people when the management staff is burnt out. I used to enjoy my job when the company focused more on sales then productivity. Sales people don't want to do the job, so they call in sick, go out on LOA, or stress leave, and the managers are left running the routes. Because the managers are running routes they are not getting their jobs done. When their performance reviews come up at the end of the year, they will have to explain why they are not performing, or meeting their job responsibilities. Kind of hard to do when you don't have the staffing to run the business and no relief is in site.

Supply Chain Intern

ProsPretty good money as an intern, hands on experience, can always find projects to do

ConsMorale is very very low. A lot of floor workers are upset.

It was a great experience working for this company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople, opportunities, salary, environment, benefits

ConsWork/life balance, constant change no stability

Pepsi Cola

Route Driver (Former Employee) Pittsburg, KS

ProsGreat crew to work with, a team environment, cooler stocked with barely outdated pop

ConsMassive workload, unreal pay to workload inequality, managers constantly had poor tempers and unconstructive criticism

Worked for PepsiCo? Contribute to the Community!