PepsiCo

3.5
1,768 Reviews

PepsiCo Chairman and CEO Indra K. Nooyi
Indra K. Nooyi

Pros
  • Work life balance was given to those who handled it responsibly (in 99 reviews)

• great pay and benefits, plenty of opportunities for growth, very stable company (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to be focused on your own work life balance because there's so much to do (in 218 reviews)

• long hours hard physical work, stressful at times to complete all requried (in 153 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Internship Program

Current Employee - BIS Intern  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - BIS Intern in Plano, TX

Pros

PepsiCo has a great internship program. They schedule a lot of events for you to really get the feel of the company's culture. Everyone is very welcoming and wants to help the interns get the most of the summer. The feel of the BIS function is very relaxed and supportive, but everyone also works hard to get the job done. A very stress-free internship experience. They really care about the future employees of the company and there is a lot of room to grow here. They also pay very well for an internship. They allow for a good work/life balance. Made many friends within the company.

Cons

They did not give me very much responsibility or work to do, so it was difficult to learn new skills through this internship. Learned a lot about the corporate world and how a large company works, but because of the lack of tasks I was given, I didn't necessarily learn any new technical skills. Sometimes I was bored with nothing to do. They focus a lot on you getting to know the PepsiCo culture, but almost not enough on what a real time job in BIS would be like. However, I understand that giving a lot of responsibility to an intern can be risky, and that most likely internships at other companies would be similar.

District Sales Leader Intern

Current Employee - District Sales Leader  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - District Sales Leader in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Its definitely one of the best experiences I've had in my life. They give you the responsiblity of making important decisions and trusting yourself. Frito Lay treats you like any other employee, they ask for your feedback on important decisions. They do this to build your confidence and to teach to trust your intuition. Throughout my internship, I had a team that would back my decisions and they even let me execute on the market some of my ideas. Definitely love the experience and the way it build me up professionally.

Cons

The work-life balance can be a struggle sometimes. Frito Lay, as a huge company with many customers, works hard to meet high standards. This sometimes leads to long hours and little free time. Also as an intern, I hoped to hang out and meet some of the other interns on the weekends, but due to far distances, I was not able to see them often.

They were great people with awesome advice on how to grow professionally. I would say they did a great job of showing you the day-to-day work routine without hiding any of the pros and cons. Management keep doing what you are doing!

A fun, engaging, and challenging immersion into fast-paced engineering and product development.

Current Employee - Research Engineer  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Research Engineer in Plano, TX

Pros

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS INTERNSHIP!

This internship is challenging, rewarding, collaborative and results-driven. At first I was given a lot of nurture and guidance on how to begin my project, but within a matter of weeks the guard-rails came off and my project really became my own. I decided what steps to take, how to get there, who to collaborate with to make it there, and I managed the time around my own project. However, the support was always there if I needed it with a large team of management and technical resources. Since I worked in R&D, my project was technically challenging and it was amazing seeing that my research had immediate business impact on millions of dollars. It was very rewarding to progress in the project and see it take shape. It made it exciting and I wanted to keep going. We had to present project progress every month to senior leadership, including vice presidents and senior scientists. This was intimidating at first, but it helped me cultivate crucial skills in communicating complicated scientific research succinctly to management so they could make decisions. This internship really equipped me for a professional career.

Also, speaking of work-life balance, the company culture and atmosphere at PepsiCo (I worked at Frito-Lay) is really unbeatable. Everybody is upbeat, fast-paced and willing to get their hands dirty to help you. Yet everyone is ready to go home at 5 P.M. and be with their families and enjoy the weekend. Work-life balance is important here and the friendly culture here will make you believe it. I cannot express enough the impression the warm people at this company made on me to make me feel at home and like I was a meaningful part of the family.

One last thing: this company is ethically responsible and driven to make enjoyable products that are good for society, which is very important to me. I was very impressed learning about the company's goals and seeing all of it in action. You could not pick a more ethical company in the industry to work for, in my opinion. PepsiCo strives to make healthier, safer products that leave a smaller footprint on the environment but still taste delicious and bring smiles to people's faces. Working here, you will really take pride seeing your work on a shelf and knowing the work that went into bringing it there.

Cons

The first few weeks of internship can be overwhelming. Mountains of training and meetings and you immediately present on your project just a couple weeks after arriving when you don't really know much of anything. It's a lot of pressure all at once with a lot of new faces, but it eases up soon enough when you get the hang of things. The internship was also heavy in statistics, so if you're weak in statistics, you might struggle. Also, the corporate structure is very defined, which can be a pro or a con depending on how you want to progress in a company. Here at Frito-Lay, you get promotions at a defined pace as you move up in levels and there's little deviation outside that model. If you like less structure in your corporate ladder, this might be a downside for you. Finally, I had to work significant overtime to handle my project in the 12-week time frame. The nature of the experiments in my project often required me to stay longer than a 9 hour business day, so I had to work more than I was expecting. However, they pay well for overtime and you can manage it as your project needs it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

hard Work

Current Employee - Merchandiser  in  Moundsville, WV
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Moundsville, WV

Pros

good pay, allot of hours, really friendly coworkers

Cons

I have no cones at this time

N/A

PepsiCo has the ability to provide a diverse and in-depth experiences that will challenge and grow you as a professional

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Can acquire a wealth of diverse experience quickly. Provides a level of autonomy that can enable entrepreneurial spirit. Good people quality. Fast paced. Exciting brands.

Cons

Large organizations present challenges in navigating internally. Many stakeholders requires much internal selling/alignment, however is a key skill that is required in any organization. Work-life balance is a challenge given the demands of the business.

Simplify

Productivity measures over true purpose

Former Employee - Marketing Director  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY

Pros

While you're there you have the chance to be in a strong environment to practice traditional operations, sales and marketing skills

Cons

Not living up to the sustainability promises and making severe cutbacks in resources have left it a shell of what it once was

Split the healthy stuff from the not-so-healthy stuff

District sales manager responsible for a team of 20 full-time and part-time employees.

Pros

Pay, Mileage and Phone Expense Reimbursement, great benefits, autonomy, annual meetings and team building events

Cons

work-life balance is a joke, constant pressure to hit aggressive growth targets

inconsistent direction relative to positions and job security, growth objectives at times are overbearing

Good money but to much politics

Current Employee - Merchandiser  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Louisville, KY

Pros

Good pay, good hours

Cons

Just a body. It's a good old boys club

Take care of the front line employees. They are the face of the company

Excellent learning experience and insight into large corporate culture and business practices

Former Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Somers, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Somers, NY

Pros

Training is available, career opportunities exist, exposure to all business units is possible. Fair benefits packages for full time employees. Many directions to go in terms of career choices, technical, sales, marketing, scientific, management. Other pros include offices worldwide.

Cons

Pay is lowering than average. Bonuses are only for mid-level managers and executives, based upon what they cut from their annual budgets. Professional development reviews are yearly, where your performance is measured against yearly objectives - not a bad concept however raises are based upon successfully meeting or exceeding these objectives AND how you measure up against other employees at your level, though another employee's functions, challenges, location, etc. may be different from yours.

Constant budget reductions, and headcount reductions, while workload increases. You can earn 3 weeks vacation, however scheduling this time off is a catch-22 situation, as your teammates (if any) will be forced to lose their work/life balance while covering your responsibilities (the reverse is true).

Movement from one business unit to another almost requires and act of congress (or Devine intervention) if your approving manager does not feel a move from their department is in your (or their) best interest.

New trend is to hire contractors from overseas.

Stateside employees are being converted into temporary contractors, who are employed by an overseas-based temporary employee provider.

Layoffs are a frequent tactic to reduce costs and return "value" to stockholders

Employees are not resources. They are people, sons, daughters, fathers, mothers and real-life sales and marketing consultants for your company, its products and practices. Treat them as assets.

Outsourcing to offshore is not the answer. It cripples the American economy and in many ways impacts sales of products. (No consumer income = no consumer sales of beverages and snacks)

PepsiCo is an iconic entity. Let's take a step back, reflect upon, and return to the PepsiCo Culture that made this company great. Americans are loyal to the companies that take care of their families and friends. Americans also remember which companies take the bread from their tables, and force families to struggle.

Vancouver, Wa Frito-Lay manufacturing plant

Current Employee - Almost All Possible Production Jobs  in  Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Almost All Possible Production Jobs in Vancouver, WA

Pros

Get paid a good wage and the (hourly) people are some of the best people you could meet let alone work with.

Cons

Very poorly managed plant!!! Huge lack of proper crewing for over a year! Not much (if any) consideration given by management for work/life balance. Not uncommon to work everyday for 12 hours for months before getting a day off.

Properly hire for crewing needs. People work very hard for this company and deserve regular days off.

Worked for PepsiCo? Contribute to the Community!