PepsiCo

3.5
1,765 Reviews

PepsiCo Chairman and CEO Indra K. Nooyi
Indra K. Nooyi

Pros
  • Work life balance was given to those who handled it responsibly (in 99 reviews)

• great pay and benefits, plenty of opportunities for growth, very stable company (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to be focused on your own work life balance because there's so much to do (in 218 reviews)

• long hours hard physical work, stressful at times to complete all requried (in 153 reviews)

More Highlights

A fun, engaging, and challenging immersion into fast-paced engineering and product development.

Current Employee - Research Engineer  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Research Engineer in Plano, TX

Pros

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS INTERNSHIP!

This internship is challenging, rewarding, collaborative and results-driven. At first I was given a lot of nurture and guidance on how to begin my project, but within a matter of weeks the guard-rails came off and my project really became my own. I decided what steps to take, how to get there, who to collaborate with to make it there, and I managed the time around my own project. However, the support was always there if I needed it with a large team of management and technical resources. Since I worked in R&D, my project was technically challenging and it was amazing seeing that my research had immediate business impact on millions of dollars. It was very rewarding to progress in the project and see it take shape. It made it exciting and I wanted to keep going. We had to present project progress every month to senior leadership, including vice presidents and senior scientists. This was intimidating at first, but it helped me cultivate crucial skills in communicating complicated scientific research succinctly to management so they could make decisions. This internship really equipped me for a professional career.

Also, speaking of work-life balance, the company culture and atmosphere at PepsiCo (I worked at Frito-Lay) is really unbeatable. Everybody is upbeat, fast-paced and willing to get their hands dirty to help you. Yet everyone is ready to go home at 5 P.M. and be with their families and enjoy the weekend. Work-life balance is important here and the friendly culture here will make you believe it. I cannot express enough the impression the warm people at this company made on me to make me feel at home and like I was a meaningful part of the family.

One last thing: this company is ethically responsible and driven to make enjoyable products that are good for society, which is very important to me. I was very impressed learning about the company's goals and seeing all of it in action. You could not pick a more ethical company in the industry to work for, in my opinion. PepsiCo strives to make healthier, safer products that leave a smaller footprint on the environment but still taste delicious and bring smiles to people's faces. Working here, you will really take pride seeing your work on a shelf and knowing the work that went into bringing it there.

Cons

The first few weeks of internship can be overwhelming. Mountains of training and meetings and you immediately present on your project just a couple weeks after arriving when you don't really know much of anything. It's a lot of pressure all at once with a lot of new faces, but it eases up soon enough when you get the hang of things. The internship was also heavy in statistics, so if you're weak in statistics, you might struggle. Also, the corporate structure is very defined, which can be a pro or a con depending on how you want to progress in a company. Here at Frito-Lay, you get promotions at a defined pace as you move up in levels and there's little deviation outside that model. If you like less structure in your corporate ladder, this might be a downside for you. Finally, I had to work significant overtime to handle my project in the 12-week time frame. The nature of the experiments in my project often required me to stay longer than a 9 hour business day, so I had to work more than I was expecting. However, they pay well for overtime and you can manage it as your project needs it.

hard Work

Current Employee - Merchandiser  in  Moundsville, WV
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Moundsville, WV

Pros

good pay, allot of hours, really friendly coworkers

Cons

I have no cones at this time

N/A

It was a great experience working for this company

Pros

People, opportunities, salary, environment, benefits

Cons

Work/life balance, constant change no stability

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Supply Chain Intern

Pros

Pretty good money as an intern, hands on experience, can always find projects to do

Cons

Morale is very very low. A lot of floor workers are upset.

Good Culture

Pros

Opportunities to advance. Good entry level pay. Management respects need for work life balance.

Cons

advancement largely left up to you. Pay as you progress becomes less appealing until you make it to the executive level.

Excellent learning experience and insight into large corporate culture and business practices

Former Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Somers, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Somers, NY

Pros

Training is available, career opportunities exist, exposure to all business units is possible. Fair benefits packages for full time employees. Many directions to go in terms of career choices, technical, sales, marketing, scientific, management. Other pros include offices worldwide.

Cons

Pay is lowering than average. Bonuses are only for mid-level managers and executives, based upon what they cut from their annual budgets. Professional development reviews are yearly, where your performance is measured against yearly objectives - not a bad concept however raises are based upon successfully meeting or exceeding these objectives AND how you measure up against other employees at your level, though another employee's functions, challenges, location, etc. may be different from yours.

Constant budget reductions, and headcount reductions, while workload increases. You can earn 3 weeks vacation, however scheduling this time off is a catch-22 situation, as your teammates (if any) will be forced to lose their work/life balance while covering your responsibilities (the reverse is true).

Movement from one business unit to another almost requires and act of congress (or Devine intervention) if your approving manager does not feel a move from their department is in your (or their) best interest.

New trend is to hire contractors from overseas.

Stateside employees are being converted into temporary contractors, who are employed by an overseas-based temporary employee provider.

Layoffs are a frequent tactic to reduce costs and return "value" to stockholders

Employees are not resources. They are people, sons, daughters, fathers, mothers and real-life sales and marketing consultants for your company, its products and practices. Treat them as assets.

Outsourcing to offshore is not the answer. It cripples the American economy and in many ways impacts sales of products. (No consumer income = no consumer sales of beverages and snacks)

PepsiCo is an iconic entity. Let's take a step back, reflect upon, and return to the PepsiCo Culture that made this company great. Americans are loyal to the companies that take care of their families and friends. Americans also remember which companies take the bread from their tables, and force families to struggle.

Good money but to much politics

Current Employee - Merchandiser  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Louisville, KY

Pros

Good pay, good hours

Cons

Just a body. It's a good old boys club

Take care of the front line employees. They are the face of the company

Learning experience.

Pros

Good environment for self-starters and those that do well shooting from the hip.

Cons

Do not expect nurturing, training or development as executing under fire is the performance gauge. Watching out for employees as people does not rank as top priority with management or Human Resources.

The churning and burning with fast and young do not make up for the experience base that is continually be rotated out, especially in the international teams that have been on the ground working through the growth of recent years.

No Work-Life Balance

Current Employee - Sales District Leader  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales District Leader in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Job security. Great people to work with.

Cons

Very long hours. Constant conflicting priorities. Everything gets dumped on your plate because this is a catch-all position.

Provide more support to frontline.

Vancouver, Wa Frito-Lay manufacturing plant

Current Employee - Almost All Possible Production Jobs  in  Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Almost All Possible Production Jobs in Vancouver, WA

Pros

Get paid a good wage and the (hourly) people are some of the best people you could meet let alone work with.

Cons

Very poorly managed plant!!! Huge lack of proper crewing for over a year! Not much (if any) consideration given by management for work/life balance. Not uncommon to work everyday for 12 hours for months before getting a day off.

Properly hire for crewing needs. People work very hard for this company and deserve regular days off.

Worked for PepsiCo? Contribute to the Community!