PepsiCo

3.4
1,991 Reviews

PepsiCo Chairman and CEO Indra K. Nooyi
Indra K. Nooyi

Pros
  • Work life balance at Pepsico is the one shining facet that it holds (in 111 reviews)

• PepsiCo offers great pay and benefits and is truly a fun place to work (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to be focused on your own work life balance because there's so much to do (in 259 reviews)

• long hours hard physical work, stressful at times to complete all requried (in 174 reviews)

More Highlights

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great hours, great Benefits, Consistent work schedule yet strenuous hard physical work

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Riverside, CA

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Consecutive days off. Ability to work 40-50 hrs weekly
    Holiday pay. Great medical and 401k options. Managers generally work with you with time off and personal days.

Cons

Dealing with the grocery retail is very difficult. Your allotment of work per day requires you 4-7 stops a day. Every account wants first early service and many difficulties arise as far as cusomer service requests as well as immediate follow ups to resolve the issues. Some mornings you are required to start your day early morning and can work up to 10-12hrs. Very physical work.

Hire more personnel and merchandisers to ensure better quality of service to each individual account so as to not stretch the amount of work employees already have.

If you think this is the place to be a Supervisor, you'd be wrong.

Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Riverside, CA

I have been working at PepsiCo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are well established and you will get paid on time, though they don't pay their vendors on time. That's about it.

Cons

Those looking to be Supervisors please read. (I am currently a supervisor in manufacturing in a non-union plant. My advice is based on current conditions.)

You will probably not get any raises above 2% (cost of living). Most of the time they will "give" you a 1% "raise". This 1% is actually a deduction in pay based on a 2% cost of living increase. As a supervisor you will make about as much as a production employee makes after they have been there 12 months, but you will have tons more responsibilities. The majority, I haven't seen one that's the minority, will swamp you with so many tasks that you will literally not be able to complete them if you were to stay on the office 16 hours a day. They mandate that you will spend 10 hours per day at work minimum. This does not matter if you bust your as or not. There is no gratification for going above and beyond so no one does. Your managers will give you a hard time over small things you may not have done optimal, so do not expect to receive praise for the thing you do to help the company.

The employees, if they're not already union, are always looking to go union, so they are paid very well. They tend to fight management tooth and nail on any little change. Most of the time this happens because some manager is trying to step on anyone they can to move up the ladder. These are the same managers that will bury you if they get a chance. If they don't get a chance, they will make your job so annoyingly tedious that you will let something small fall off the plate and then they will smear you with it and use you as a scapegoat for their shortcomings.

If you think you will be promoted from supervisor to manager from within, think again. in three years at Pepsi I have yet to talk to a supervisor that has moved into management. You will, however, talk to the campus hires that are put into 3 supervisor positions before moving into their guaranteed managment position.

I am a hard worker. My employees get along with me very well. I work fast and hard from the moment I step in the plant. Yet, there hasn't been a manager, and plant manager for that matter, that I've met yet that doesn't step all over the supervisors at this facility. The managers have fired a 25 year supervisor for lack of performance, he must have been fine for the previous 24 years, I guess. They have angered three other supervisors into quitting. These supervisors had 10 years with the company, 15 years with the company and 5 years with the company.

The company has super high turnover in management all the way from supervisor to plant directors. Here is why... because the carbonated softdrinks (CSD) sector of the beverages industry is rapidly losing demand. These managers and directors are forced to cut labor at every single turn. So what happens? The Supervisors, literally, have to run the machines as an operator. Yes, the exact thing Pepsi was sued for and lost was this very same thing.

The two managers I've had so far do not debate the tasks pushed down to them. They choose not to understand the time it takes to complete projects or daily tasks they assign their employees. Instead, they choose to overestimate, over task and ultimately underperform because they believe management is hammering their employees for more with less. This is the ultimate reason for the high rate of turnover in the companies management.

Recommendation:
        If you are considering working for Pepsi, please do one of two things; take an hourly position or take the campus hire route with a guaranteed managers position after 1-2 years. Otherwise, the probability is, you will most likely be searching for an exit after about 1 - 2 years with the company.

Note* Below I rate the company outlook as decreasing because of the month to month sales losses in the CSD market.

I have yet to see the managers accept advice for those beneath them. I will say this though, you should

Merchandiser at Pepsi

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Riverside, CA

I worked at PepsiCo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being a merchandiser gives you alot of freedom during your work day. Its nice to be able to work independently.

Cons

When you first start you will have to work weekends. There is no way around this, everyone has to do it.

Increase the pay

Lacking leadership and communication

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Riverside, CA

I have been working at PepsiCo

Pros

The money is good. You get weekends off.

Cons

The stress is very high. You either have stores mad because too much overstock or your bosses mad because not enough. Pepsi only cares about money not about the relationships with the stores.

Have better communication with employees.