Per Mar Security Services

1. Good company, Amazing bosses

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Per Mar Security Services

Pros

Co workers are great, great working conditions, my bosses are amazing. Working for them is the reason I come to work. They care about us as people and never as employees. This is an awesome feeling considering the world we live in today. The generosity and fun things they do for us makes servicing our customers very easy. They both are great teachers and coaches. When a mistake is made they blame themselves not the team and they coach us on how to learn from it.

Cons

Outside of what our bosses do, appreciation seems to be a weakness, that could improve. Maybe they should talk to our bosses. Loosing the employee bonus hurt.

Advice to Management

Take care of our bosses, loosing them would be horrible our department serves so many customers and they just know how to do it so well. People like them are few and far between.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Per Mar Security Services

Pros

I have worked at Per Mar for over 5 years and it has been a friendly, family-like atmosphere, with decent pay and benefits. They do well at promoting within the company and recognizing talent.

Cons

The health insurance could be better.

Longevity means something to a company

I have been working at Per Mar Security Services

Pros

I've been with Per Mar for more than 10 years. For the most part, the atmosphere is fun. I don't get micromanaged and I can reach out to my managers any time I need additional training. Per Mar believes in its employees and our futures, so they contribute to our 401K and HSA, which is a huge bonus

Cons

I'm not a fan of the health benefits, but they compromise with HDA and they contribute to that.

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Per Mar Security Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Per Mar is very community oriented and participates in many community/charity events. The atmosphere here is supportive, welcoming, and friendly. If you need help with something, people are always willing to help. They tend to promote from within and are very fair in their promotions, raises, and benefits. They continually push employees to better themselves, and provide the tools necessary to succeed.

Cons

There can be hostility between departments/divisions and at times, a lot of finger pointing. Sometimes who made the mistake is not as important as how to resolve the problem, but this is not always how issues are handled. Rather than working together to achieve a common goal of improving sales/service, shortfalls tend to get blamed on other departments, no matter who was actually at fault.

Advice to Management

Continue to help all levels of employees improve themselves, and ensure that employee satisfaction is achieved from the Security Officers, to the branch personnel, to the corporate employees. The front line employees are most important to the continued success of the company.

Great Atmosphere

Current Employee - Corportate Member in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Corportate Member in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Per Mar Security Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy working for Per Mar because of the great pay, comprehensive benefits, work incentives, ongoing learning programs, and promotions from within. Per Mar management team is staffed with some of the most qualified individuals. They are very knowledgeable and well organized.

Cons

Some jobs need to be spread out more among people. There are quite a few individuals that are capable of doing the job.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on providing the absolute best customer service and tech service to our customers.

Great company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Per Mar Security Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I came to Per Mar after 5 years at another company where my hours were long and the pay did not make up for it. At Per Mar I enjoy coming to work everyday because of the people that I work with and the challenges I'm given. There is an open door policy with management and I feel they are easy to approach. They recognize talent and what it takes to keep strong talented employees engaged. There are many benefits offered including bonuses, health care, 401K, employee alarm systems etc. At Per Mar I have work-life balance which is very important to a working mother. The invest in their employees by providing leadership training.

Cons

The FMLA policy is reasonable and fair but not as great as my previous employer.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize strong talent.

Great place to work and a good team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Per Mar Security Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Per Mar has been a great company to work for. My bosses are supportive and encourage me to branch out by learning new things and working with other departments. For the most part my coworkers help each other out and work as a team. It really is a family environment. Per Mar is active in the community with donating to charities allowing us to have fund raisers.

Cons

Sometimes we have too much to do and things get pushed to the side and don't get done until last minute. Some positions could be split between two people and are currently being done by one person. Benefits are ok but could be better.

Advice to Management

I really like that management knows the names of almost all the corporate employees. They speak to all the employees and make us all feel important.

Overall Great Employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Per Mar Security Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Per Mar has the financial stability of a large company with a small business feel. There are many long-term employees that make up the core of the team. The executives are honest, straight shooters who tell it like it is. This is their family legacy and they treat it as such. They support local organizations and causes in the communities in which we serve.
    The management team encourages personal growth and development; they help you recognize your strengths so you can best contribute to the team's success and feel truly valuable. Your accomplishments are recognized and when you make a mistake it is handled very diligently with opportunities to grow, not immediate chastisement. They give you many opportunities to succeed. If you fail here, it is not for lack of opportunity.

Cons

Because of Per Mar's culture, which is not mainstream and big-minded, but more traditional and family oriented, many people cannot work here because it doesn't meet their expectations. The compensation is competitive but may not be as much as other big-time corporate companies.
    While upper management has had some major changes in the last year, this is primarily due to the owner making sure the right people are in place to take the company to the next level of success while staying on point with their core values and mission, being a family-owned business.

Advice to Management

Continue to be honest and keep the company values at heart when dealing with the employees. Listen to suggestions and communicate honestly with people.

Per Mar Security - Good Place to Work

I have been working at Per Mar Security Services

Pros

When I get to work in the morning I have a general expectation of what my day is going to consist of. We laugh, we joke, we make fun of each other, but we work hard and we get the job done. We're not micromanaged; our bosses allow us to work at our own pace as long as we are, in fact, working. The pay is pretty good especially after you've been here for a while and the benefits are worth having. Health insurance could be better, but all in all, this is a pretty good company to work for. Most importantly, the drama level is pretty low.

Cons

Occasionally people get a little too over invested in the job or each other's lives, but you'll have that in any setting where you work closely with others. There can be a lot of finger pointing when something goes wrong; it is beneficial to keep one's rear covered.

Advice to Management

I don't have a lot of advice to give to management. They're doing a good job and they put in more hours than most people would be willing to. The owner is very invested in employee satisfaction which seems to be rare these days.

11. One of the worst experiences in my entire life!

Current Employee - Corp Executive in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Corp Executive in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Per Mar Security Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a corporate employee, I met some very nice security officers, site supervisors, clients, and corporate hourly staff personnel. There was a core group of employees who had been at the company for many years and these people had a tremendous work ethic and took pride in their respective jobs.

Cons

Very dysfunctional at the executive level. The owner and Chairman, pitted one department head against another. Rather than doing what was best for the clients and employees, he would instigate friction, and this would cause animosity which was detrimental to his business. He would accuse people of wrong doing before knowing all the facts. Last, he filled the ranks of management with relatives and friends regardless if they were qualified or not. Senior Leadership had to walk a fine line whenever making decisions in order to preclude offending someone in the family. Once he heard something about someone or something, you could not change his mind regardless of the facts.

Advice to Management

If you hire people to lead your company, then let them lead. Stop micromanaging and second-guessing every single decision. To the CEO- support each and every VP and make a decision once in awhile. Refrain from making snapshot judgments, listening to rumors, humiliating executives, and refusing to acknowledge that your company has made mistakes in the past and is not perfect. Your extremely high turnover of management is a reflection of a poorly run company.

Per Mar Security Services Response

Mar 26, 2015Director Corporate Support

We are proud of the fact that you have met many nice people over the years, anyone that works here we believe feels this in one way or another.

At Per Mar Security Services we pride ourselves in