Perception Research Services

Perception Research Services Reviews

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014

Scott Young

Amazing company to be a part of!

Current Employee - Project Director in Teaneck, NJ
    Current Employee - Project Director in Teaneck, NJ

I have been working at Perception Research Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent people to work for and work with. Your clients are the top in their respective areas, and they really do listen and at times implement the recommendations you give for their brands. The managers here also listen, and will take what you have to say seriously, and always try to help those ideas grow, or explain as to why they think it may not work.

Cons

You do need to carry your access key with you all the time because a lot of the doors require key entrance, and the garage requires key entrance AND exit.
    And this is a client service company, so you will need to work after 5pm on a few occasions.. But given the industry, I have experienced that less here than other places.

none.

Good People

I have been working at Perception Research Services full-time

Pros

I have found that the people at PRS have a strong passion for the work that they do.

The office culture is welcoming, inclusive and very focused. Depending on your clients, the hours can be long at times but you can leave when you need to and can take your computer home to finish up later if necessary.

The benefits are pretty good but PTO is just OK.

Cons

Compensation is pretty standard - not great/not bad and bonus' could be better.

No Title

Former Employee - No Title in Alexander City, AL
    Former Employee - No Title in Alexander City, AL

I worked at Perception Research Services as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

People are friendly most of the time

Cons

Too many hours all of the time

work-life balance

A different persepctive to what has been a tough year...

I have been working at Perception Research Services

Pros

Not pros or cons..just a different perspective..

I currently work at PRS and while I understand and even agree with some of the comments posted recently, I feel like they are all limited to one view of the story. Like everything, it’s not all black or white, and I feel the need to give people a slightly different perspective. PRS has been known to be a great employer for years – you just need to look at how many people have been here for over 10 years to get the idea – I am pretty sure this is un-matched in the industry. PRS enjoyed many years of growth, and a limited competitive environment – in exchange, it always rewarded its employees generously and did not look back (that includes salaries, opportunities, flexible work schedules, extra time off etc)

In the past few years, competition has significantly increased along with clients wanting cheaper and faster research. So, what do they do? They decide it is time to look at their business and make some changes to stay in the game without compromising what they stand for – and that isn’t always an easy thing to do.

Yes, these changes are un-settling for a lot of us. Yes, these changes, meant that people had to be let go. Yes, these changes mean that we all have to learn how to work differently and it takes time – it takes time for all of us to adjust and this means we are all working harder this year. Yes, 2014 has been a tough year, for the people who left and for us who stayed and worked harder than ever. BUT, what happens if we do not change? Has anyone considered this? What happens if because we refuse to change, we start losing our competitive edge and loose our clients? How many people would have to be let go then? Regardless of how hard this is, PRS actually is trying to remain competitive in order to keep growing and continue to reward its employees.

I still believe PRS is a great company to work for – I have worked for other agencies out there and I can tell you the workload issues and the work life balance is something everyone struggles with at times, so please keep this in mind! And actually PRS has seen quite a few people leave and come back through the years so that has to mean something?

Anyway, my 2 cents..there is always two sides to a story.

Cons

Again..this is not about pros or cons

keep the communication lines open

Great for growth, but doesn't pay the best

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Teaneck, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Teaneck, NJ

I have been working at Perception Research Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My experience has been mostly positive. There is a ton of opportunity for growth. If you are a hard worker with a good attitude that will be recognized and you can advance within the company. Its a good opportunity to learn both the project management and the analytical side of market research. The people are nice, most of the upper management is nice.

Cons

compensation is below the market, stressful environment - not paid enough to justify the long hours

pay your employee's better or they will go somewhere that will

Poor management, No open lines of communicate

Current Employee - Analytical in Teaneck, NJ
    Current Employee - Analytical in Teaneck, NJ

I have been working at Perception Research Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Occasional work from home
    Good 401k benefit
    Bagels on Fridays
    Coffee Machine
    Interesting research
    That's about! Other then what's mentioned above

Cons

Where to begin?? 20 words impossible? Well here it is... Over worked and underpaid! In order to get an type of promotion you are expected to work and function in that role for a long period of time before you can be considered. Essentially you work at a higher level with more responsibility for minimal pay.

Upper management doesn't care about what's going on, their solution to the problem is to hire new people, but why not focus in helping those who are right in front of you? The moral of those of us still here is dragging in the dirt. Nobody acknowledge your hard work. Putting bandaids on the problem isn't making them go away.

Just recently the president of the company had a meeting to tell us that most if not all of the changes needed to happen as it was the best decision for the "business" financially. It's understandable the we are in the business of customer service but when do you start to also consider your employees?

They bought in a software that eliminated 2 whole departments putting more work on the analytical teams. We are not only expected to analysis data and report but are also required to be survey programmers and data processor. When you confront management with your concerns all you get is "it will get easier once your comfortable with the program" not a very true statement.

They implement new processes but offer no training. Talk to HR you say? That department is a void in the company almost nonexistent. HR consist of 3 people (VP, Benefits Coordinator and Recruiter) trying to meet or talk to anyone in HR is a task in itself no one is ever available.

If you like having meetings after meetings then this is the company for you. We have meeting about a meeting to have another meeting about the meeting we just had and you're still expect you to get your work done after spending over half the day in meeting. Beware and stay away

Evaluate those running the company. Stop making poor decisions and appreciate your employees (whoever is left) so you don't lose more valuable people.

Smoke, Mirrors, and Mind Games

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Teaneck, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Teaneck, NJ

I worked at Perception Research Services full-time

Pros

Occasionally you get to work from home (but usually are made to feel guilty about it by someone that WFH at least once or twice a week.)
    Usually given off between Christmas and New Years
    Some really smart, hard-working and genuine people (who are grossly under-appreciated)
    Very nice new office building

Cons

20 Words? How about a full breakdown?
    Just ask one of the MANY people who were recently let go, including some who were there for over 15 years, how they feel about the direction this company is headed. Just read the reviews and comments being left by CURRENT employees right NOW. It speaks volumes and although I am glad I got out when I did, I feel for those struggling with the current environment who have dedicated so much to the company over the years.

Starting with the company, you will quickly be lead to believe it is a great atmosphere behind the fake smiles, empty promises, and lies that are thrown your way. However, it won't be long until you see the true colors of many. It became a stiff, unfriendly, fake culture, and an environment that is without question, a product of poor senior management and leadership. (A common theme in most reviews) It is so mismanaged that it is hard to fault others for acting the way they do in an environment that is constantly misguided and scrutinized over many mundane issues, while much bigger problems clearly exist.

Good luck identifying who senior management is on most days. I've never seen a company with so many "VP's" in my entire life and some of them certainly allow that title to go to their heads. Some will sit there and type emails all day and request meeting after meeting to discuss ideas, instead of implementing them, while wasting the time and energy of everyone, who usually have more important matters to handle, such as their CLIENTS. These same people are overworked and overwhelmed because the company continues to toss away many hard working, loyal employees who have put in countless hours and dedication. Some of these same people are also actually VP's. (Yes, I know it's confusing and always will be until it changes) Instead of bringing on more resources, those responsibilities get piled onto someone else and before you know it, you may find yourself working two full time positions. (same salary) It pains me to hear so many going through the things that I saw and remained quiet about when I moved on, as I hoped it would improve with the right people being let go and the right people being hired and/or promoted. It seems like quite the opposite is occurring.

Don't expect help from senior management. Instead, you will just attend more indirect, vague meetings and receive more emails requesting you to do more than the "over and beyond" you've already done. It's never enough and you are rarely appreciated or recognized. YES, money is being lost, numbers are going down and unfortunately, all the wrong people continue to take the fall for those dwindling figures.

Unfortunately, (not all), but some senior management is in their position because they are "liked" by someone higher up, have been there forever, and have little or no experience working anywhere else in their professional careers. They feel that their self-proclaimed loyalty, "long hours," and countless emails and meetings equals effective and efficient management. Meanwhile their departments do not reflect this efficiency because they lack effective leadership and trust. This becomes evident when they are hit with adversity, which results in panic and impulsive decision making. If even the slightest heat comes down, they are quick and ready to point the finger at the most vulnerable target and focus attention away from themselves and their own short-comings. You would THINK that one day, it would catch up with these particular people. However, as time goes by and numbers continue to drop, I am not so sure anymore. Some of these same people are not particularly liked by their own teams, nor qualified to be managing them because they simply lack the management skills. There is a blatant disrespect consistently spewed in a condescending and uncomfortable manner, which would make it difficult for anyone anywhere to have true respect and loyalty in return. "Teams" are divided because the lack of trust continues to build, which comes as no surprise considering whom and how they let go of certain people.

You can forget about having a work/life balance, but if you do attempt it, rest assured, it will be thrown in your face later. There is a lot of whispers due to the lack of trust and faith in leadership. It's a shame, because the truly decent people I know who decided to stay are now victim to the conditions. It seems like there are layoffs or very loosely justified reasons for letting people go, one after the other these days. Apparently, emails and meetings are held to alleviate any concerns about job security, when in fact, its more lies. "Don't be concerned, this wasn't an easy decision, we aren't going to explain what or why we made these decisions, but feel free to ask." (Followed shortly by letting more people go)

Again, just take a look at what Current employees have recently written. It pretty much says everything you need to know. People are unhappy for a reason and many of those reasons are very similar, but nobody seems to care to listen or make the right changes.

Bottom Line - Just because the business cards look nice, the technology is nice, maybe the laptop you were given is nice, and the building is nice, does NOT mean that the company operating within its walls is nice.

Take a step back and listen to your employees who are busting their tails day and night for you. If you are going to look in some of the higher places, make sure you are making your evaluations accurately because you continue to miss the mark in some obvious places and unfortunately, in some cases, letting good people go, while the problems still remain. Some very smart, loyal, great employees were let go because of the smoke and mirrors of others that have you fooled. The majority of both of your main departments are unhappy and many have issues about who they can trust to address these issues for fear of being next to go. Having a dog-eat-dog environment is not healthy for a business that is supposed to be client and service oriented. These distractions will result in quality and therefore quantity continuing to dwindle. Learn to teach the principles of team again, the way it once was, instead of forcing an "every man/woman for themselves" culture. In other words, make sure your leaders are actually leading and not just protecting themselves or throwing others under the bus every time something goes wrong.

You are urged to stay away from this company

Current Employee - Quantitative in Teaneck, NJ
    Current Employee - Quantitative in Teaneck, NJ

Pros

They pay you every 2 weeks (not much of a pro, don't most places)? There are not many pros to working at this company.

Cons

20 word minimum here? That is easy. This company makes themselves seem great on the outside. However, inside they are mismanaged and don't respect or care about the employees, even though they might tell people that they do. Jobs at this company are not 9 to 5, maybe 9 to 9 if you are lucky. They expect way too much from people. They listen to you complain but nothing changes. They are only out for themselves and since they have been having layoffs across multiple departments recently, anyone looking to apply to this company would be foolish. Disrespect is their motto.

They don't listen to advice so why bother?

Game of Clowns

I have been working at Perception Research Services full-time

Pros

Great benefits, ability to work from home, last week of the year off and Friday morning bagels.

Cons

The fish is rotting from the head down. Many chiefs and too few indians. Management is reactive not proactive.

Grow a pair.

Review

I have been working at Perception Research Services

Pros

Increased my knowledge in the areas of packaging and shopper research.

Cons

The company has a poor work, life balance.

Foster better work, life balance

Perception Research Services Photos