Perceptive Informatics

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Loved it, but...

Current Employee - Proposal Manager in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Proposal Manager in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Perceptive Informatics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Loved it. Start up feeling. Good pay. Generous benefits. Supportive work environment. Ability to work from home. Good management is the key though because I know others that don't feel this way due to their LM and my love for the company is partially mired by a new manager after being there 5 years...which is when (and in part, why) I began looking for work. But with a good manager, it's a dream job. It's a large company but management has the discretion to give bonuses, time off...so felt like a small company. I had breast cancer while there and they were wonderful. They let me go into the negative on my time off, rather that not be paid. They let me work from home as often as needed. Lots of autonomy and yet tons of support when needed.

Cons

Pay starts good but incremental pay raises, even with a large bump in responsibilities or promotion, horrible. The only way to get a decent pump in pay is to leave, get a bump elsewhere and come back. Which I did.

Money talks and you have some discretion here. Use it. Don't force us to leave. "Pay commensurate with experience" should not just apply to hiring because every year I work for you I am amassing that experience you will pay someone off the street for.

This Company Will Self-Destruct in 5...4...3...2...

Former Employee - Platform Services in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Platform Services in Billerica, MA

I worked at Perceptive Informatics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home when needed, depending on the relationship with your manager. Plenty of work - you won't be bored. On the other hand, you can never catch your breath and step out of your cube. I often didn't speak to another person (outside of IM, emails, and online meetings) for days at a time. Decent benefits package. Casual dress code.

Cons

Low morale. Ineffective management. Training is a farce. Little to no direction on a regular basis. When direction is provided, it is vague. They sell products that do not go through rigorous QA testing. Typically, the first project sold using the newest technology is the guinea pig, leading to delays and profit loss as the "bugs" are figured out. High staff turnover due to burnout. It is rare to find anyone to take ownership when issues arise. The company is reactive versus proactive in terms of problem-solving. Band-aid solutions instead of addressing and fixing the problem at it's source. Salaries are below industry average. Horrific office politics - the worst I have seen in my career.

If you are a manager, effect change. You are in a position to be heard. PI has the potential to be a great company if you would get out of your own way and listen to the people that are in the trenches. Lead by example.

FDA 483 galore

Current Employee - Robot Arm Associate in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Robot Arm Associate in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Perceptive Informatics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-No degree requirement, a high school diploma is sufficient. You might even make director with an associate degree.
    -Tuition reimbursement, something the people above should take advantage of.
    -Good stepping stone.

Cons

-Being the stepping stone.
    -It feels like we are working for a non-profit organization…literally.
    -Puppet supervisors

-How many directors can one company have? You pressure us to turn a profit but how can we with so many high paid non-billable employees sucking up all the profits.
    -Get rid of performance and goals, if all IRAs can enter their real goals, it would be to find another job ASAP. But who am I kidding, the idea was probably thought up by the collective brainstorming of the so called directors at their annual cookouts.
    -Get rid of the employee rating. What’s the point really? The bad employees just get rotated to a different project and never let go, like the teacher’s union.
    -Stop creating BS job titles and filling them with unqualified knuckleheads, then promoting them to senior knucklehead within a year.
    -Stop investing money into proprietary software, which by the time of release is already obsolete.
    -Clean up your management staff and your restrooms.

Aggressive Perceptive Informatics investment in outsourcing has US employees thinking short term

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA

I worked at Perceptive Informatics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work is both challenging and interesting
    Good communication among front line (non-management) staff, which promotes a very team like atmosphere

Cons

Substancial outsourcing investment in Hydrabad, India facilities, and aggressive insourcing at US sites
    Promoting from within is not a priority

A less vertical style of management would allow leveraging of front line workers' experience to improve products/services while streamlining key processes and reducing development costs

Corporate politics rule this company

Former Employee - Imaging Operations Lead in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Imaging Operations Lead in Billerica, MA

I worked at Perceptive Informatics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to gain experience in a CRO environment.
    work from home is an option if your manager likes to work from home.
    Easy to fly under the radar unless you get mixed up in the strong political pull.
    Decent training opportunities and fast promotions if you are friends with the right upper management folks.

Cons

Politics completely control major decisions. If you are unfortunate enough to butt heads with your manager or PM, you will be treated unfairly and most likely end up pushed to quit before they fire you for some ridiculous reason. Bullying is a big issue at this company. Some employees are allowed to come and go as they please and do minimal work while others are strictly watched and must adhere to rules as if they are enforced by the whole company. If you are not friends with the right upper management team members, you will not move up. Work integrity, education and performance reviews are not an influence in decisions to promote. Very low morale due to poor management and corporate politics.

Stop the vicious cycle of politics running the department. Read these reviews - some are CURRENT employees that are unhappy and still providing negative reviews - and Do Something about it! When morale is low and promotions are based on friendships rather than work quality/ethic, how can you expect to run a successful business? Lead by example.

Medical Imaging Project Manager: A great company to learn about medical imaging in clinical trials

Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in Billerica, MA

I worked at Perceptive Informatics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent promortion opportunity for hard workers (started out entry level and was able to advance through to project manager)
    Focus on quality
    Cross-functional support
    Education opportunities
    Benefits

Cons

Personnel and resourcing
    General workload and work/life balance management
    Majority of hiring of project staff in India
    Application development timelines can be long and affect overall project timeline
    Corporate culture creates an expectation of everyone being super-workers that not everone can be

Ensure adequate people for proper resourcing of medical imaging projects. While I understand people are the biggest investment, there has to be other places to trim costs. Under-resourced projects create a very large amount of stress and results into a fire-fighting mode where quality is harder to control. For the workers involve, work/life balance becomes a serious issue that negatively affects motivation and dedication at work.

My personal experience has been bad, but I know how to play office politics now.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Perceptive Informatics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Go out and drink at lunch 3~4 days a week, and answer 5~6 client e-mails a day and have still been able to fly under the radar.. Honestly, favoritism is in full force. Those who kiss up, move up faster like me. It’s really as simple as that.

Cons

Honestly, the quality will suffer. We brag to our clients about our quality but if they would look at our recent 483’s they will see our quality is an illusion.

If I were an owner of this company. Stop making everyone a VP or Director. How many directors can one department have? You pressure us to turn a profit but how can we with so many high paid non-billable employees sucking up all the profits. Clean house by getting rid of the management that does not belong. If the workers who report to you have a better education then you, it’s time to go.

Toxic, incompetent, dull. There are better places to work.

Current Employee - Manager In Medical Imaging in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Manager In Medical Imaging in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Perceptive Informatics full-time

Pros

Decent benefits, some flexibility around work hours and working from home (varies by individual manager though, no consistent policy).

Cons

Director/VP level leadership generally poor. For the most part folks at that level are far from impressive. There are exceptions, but they're few and far between. Predominantly people at that level are there through having hung around for years rather than having been recruited or promoted for genuine merit or talent.

Heaven help you if you dare to disagree with people at this level, they're like petulant children that can't tolerate constructive critiques or even suggestions.

Poor communication regarding where your immediate department is heading. Grotesquely dated and bureaucratic, nasty politics. Some highly toxic individuals who have mastered "kiss up, kick down" to the level of an art form. Truly shocked at who stays and who gets pushed out.

They seem convinced employees are simply cogs in a machine; there's a relentless race to the bottom via a push to offshore work rather than employing bright people who can innovate to achieve sustainable improvements.

Oh where to begin. In fact, I don't think I will, I have zero belief you would follow it.

Understaffed, poorly managed and poor communication from middle management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Perceptive Informatics

Pros

Multinational environment with group interaction globally. The company is small enough that you get a sense of family. Good colleagues,

Cons

Nepotistic and unfair promotions makes it difficult if you are trying to make a career. Pay scale is in the bottom half percentile.

Mediocrity at its finest

Former Employee - Manager, Imaging Research in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Manager, Imaging Research in Billerica, MA

I worked at Perceptive Informatics

Pros

Pii was a great place to get my feet wet before advancing my career in the biotech industry. The opportunities to learn are really there for those who want to take on additional tasks. There are definitely interesting projects to sink your teeth into in the medical imaging field, and for what Perceptive offers (aside from their IMPACT CTMS system....bloody awful) they do it fairly well. The company has its fair share of "lifers" with minimal career aspirations, but there are also a number of incredibly intelligent, motivated folks that you can learn a lot from. It is what you make of it and your experience here can really go either way depending on how you play your cards. I hear a large amount of people complain about their time with the company, however, in comparison to other CROs, its really pretty good at Perceptive.

Benefits and time off policy is great and the schedule is pretty flexible. In a world where so many companies are having 9-10 core office hours with a forced lunch, this is actually pretty fantastic.

Cons

Many of the employees who have simply just been "around" for years, and probably will be for many more, simply coast through the day (I can think of two in particular, can you guess who?). There is a very fine balance between people who are older, feel priviledged and still are rather awful at their duties and those who are straight out of college and very inexperienced. I am pretty sure I could have gone into work , go out and drink at lunch 5 days a week, and answered 2 e-mails a day and still been able to fly under the radar for at least 6 months. Some people may consider that a Pro, however, the fact that this can occur is a bit concerning and not why I got into this field.

Sadly, favoritism is in full force. Those who kiss up, move up. Its really as simple as that.

The compensation is laughable at best for industry (even a CRO).

Retain, retain, retain...try and retain talent, cut the fat, and reward those who deserve it. If the culture of the company changed and the $$$ was there, I would go back to the medical imaging group in a heartbeat.