Perceptive Informatics Reviews

Josef H. von Rickenbach

1. Loved it, but...

Current Employee - Proposal Manager in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Proposal Manager in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Perceptive Informatics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Loved it. Start up feeling. Good pay. Generous benefits. Supportive work environment. Ability to work from home. Good management is the key though because I know others that don't feel this way due to their LM and my love for the company is partially mired by a new manager after being there 5 years...which is when (and in part, why) I began looking for work. But with a good manager, it's a dream job. It's a large company but management has the discretion to give bonuses, time off...so felt like a small company. I had breast cancer while there and they were wonderful. They let me go into the negative on my time off, rather that not be paid. They let me work from home as often as needed. Lots of autonomy and yet tons of support when needed.

Cons

Pay starts good but incremental pay raises, even with a large bump in responsibilities or promotion, horrible. The only way to get a decent pump in pay is to leave, get a bump elsewhere and come back. Which I did.

Money talks and you have some discretion here. Use it. Don't force us to leave. "Pay commensurate with experience" should not just apply to hiring because every year I work for you I am amassing that experience you will pay someone off the street for.

2. Good temporary position for working a parent

I worked at Perceptive Informatics

Pros

Some managers allow one day per week working from home.
    Work hours can be flexible - but see cons.
    Reasonable job security

Cons

Salaries low for the industry. Many parents with young children work here, so taking time off for a sick child is easier than in some other companies BUT your commitment will be heavily criticized and your promotion prospects reduced. Working conditions are very dependent on your immediate supervisor. High attrition rate.

3. Overworked and underpaid

Former Employee - Project Manager in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Perceptive Informatics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work structure is very well defined and has a well controlled process with specific gates and milestones. The products are mostly pre-defined modules that require any customizations to be accurately captured and tested.

Cons

Because of the well defined process, the project managers as well as other resources are assigned an overload of projects that make it impossible to provide quality service to clients. It is more than the norm for a conscientious project manager to spend an average of 60-70 hours a week and provide only less than adequate service for a salary at the very low end of the scale.

Reduce the workload and provide more comprehensive training. The mentoring approach used is not helpful when the mentor answers all questions with the standard answer of "look it up in the SOP".

5. Mismanaged

I have been working at Perceptive Informatics

Pros

compensation is desirable but the trade comes at a cost

Cons

This is a highly reactionary infrastructure with no production alerting for standard technical issues. Management practices are out of line, insular and hazardous to a healthy work environment. Recommendations from Directors: avoid reporting large scale incidents to HR, will handle internally (off record).

Advice to senior management: strongly advised to review analysis of production choices. Review management practices. Review all HR registered claims.

6. Growing too fast

Current Employee - Clinical Project Manager in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Clinical Project Manager in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Perceptive Informatics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People are great, technology industry competitive

Cons

No training, no work /life balance. Prepare to work 60 hour weeks with no appreciation. No growth opportunities.

Hire more people and improve training.

7. This Company Will Self-Destruct in 5...4...3...2...

Former Employee - Platform Services in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Platform Services in Billerica, MA

I worked at Perceptive Informatics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home when needed, depending on the relationship with your manager. Plenty of work - you won't be bored. On the other hand, you can never catch your breath and step out of your cube. I often didn't speak to another person (outside of IM, emails, and online meetings) for days at a time. Decent benefits package. Casual dress code.

Cons

Low morale. Ineffective management. Training is a farce. Little to no direction on a regular basis. When direction is provided, it is vague. They sell products that do not go through rigorous QA testing. Typically, the first project sold using the newest technology is the guinea pig, leading to delays and profit loss as the "bugs" are figured out. High staff turnover due to burnout. It is rare to find anyone to take ownership when issues arise. The company is reactive versus proactive in terms of problem-solving. Band-aid solutions instead of addressing and fixing the problem at it's source. Salaries are below industry average. Horrific office politics - the worst I have seen in my career.

If you are a manager, effect change. You are in a position to be heard. PI has the potential to be a great company if you would get out of your own way and listen to the people that are in the trenches. Lead by example.

Haphazard

Current Employee - Project Manager in East Windsor, NJ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in East Windsor, NJ

I have been working at Perceptive Informatics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Dispite issues teams do pull together to get the job done. Work from home is usually an option at least for a couple days a week if needed. You are free to do your work without interference or mirco-management assuming you are doing your work up to par.

Cons

There is a great deal of turnover. Moral is relatively low. Most are in the midst of looking for other forms of employment. System defects and outsourcing to inexperienced teams are problematic. Training by fire. They will run you into the ground if need be.

Dont sell products that you cannot provide to clients with high quality and which have not been proven to be effective. Don't roll out new procedures and products without bringing your employees up to speed. Don't manage from the top down, listen to your employees they are most in touch with the work flow. Its not all about profits, don't burn your employees out. There needs to be some balance with quantity and quality or the customers won't come back and you will see a reduction in BD wins and overall productivity. Your choice.

FDA 483 galore

Current Employee - Robot Arm Associate in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Robot Arm Associate in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Perceptive Informatics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-No degree requirement, a high school diploma is sufficient. You might even make director with an associate degree.
    -Tuition reimbursement, something the people above should take advantage of.
    -Good stepping stone.

Cons

-Being the stepping stone.
    -It feels like we are working for a non-profit organization…literally.
    -Puppet supervisors

-How many directors can one company have? You pressure us to turn a profit but how can we with so many high paid non-billable employees sucking up all the profits.
    -Get rid of performance and goals, if all IRAs can enter their real goals, it would be to find another job ASAP. But who am I kidding, the idea was probably thought up by the collective brainstorming of the so called directors at their annual cookouts.
    -Get rid of the employee rating. What’s the point really? The bad employees just get rotated to a different project and never let go, like the teacher’s union.
    -Stop creating BS job titles and filling them with unqualified knuckleheads, then promoting them to senior knucklehead within a year.
    -Stop investing money into proprietary software, which by the time of release is already obsolete.
    -Clean up your management staff and your restrooms.

Aggressive Perceptive Informatics investment in outsourcing has US employees thinking short term

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billerica, MA

I worked at Perceptive Informatics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work is both challenging and interesting
    Good communication among front line (non-management) staff, which promotes a very team like atmosphere

Cons

Substancial outsourcing investment in Hydrabad, India facilities, and aggressive insourcing at US sites
    Promoting from within is not a priority

A less vertical style of management would allow leveraging of front line workers' experience to improve products/services while streamlining key processes and reducing development costs

Corporate politics rule this company

Former Employee - Imaging Operations Lead in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Imaging Operations Lead in Billerica, MA

I worked at Perceptive Informatics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to gain experience in a CRO environment.
    work from home is an option if your manager likes to work from home.
    Easy to fly under the radar unless you get mixed up in the strong political pull.
    Decent training opportunities and fast promotions if you are friends with the right upper management folks.

Cons

Politics completely control major decisions. If you are unfortunate enough to butt heads with your manager or PM, you will be treated unfairly and most likely end up pushed to quit before they fire you for some ridiculous reason. Bullying is a big issue at this company. Some employees are allowed to come and go as they please and do minimal work while others are strictly watched and must adhere to rules as if they are enforced by the whole company. If you are not friends with the right upper management team members, you will not move up. Work integrity, education and performance reviews are not an influence in decisions to promote. Very low morale due to poor management and corporate politics.

Stop the vicious cycle of politics running the department. Read these reviews - some are CURRENT employees that are unhappy and still providing negative reviews - and Do Something about it! When morale is low and promotions are based on friendships rather than work quality/ethic, how can you expect to run a successful business? Lead by example.