Perceptive Software

Perceptive Software Reviews

Updated Mar 26, 2014

Perceptive Software President and CEO Scott Coons

Scott Coons

Pros:
  • "People are very kind and the work-life balance is highly valued"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Great growth potential for entry level employees, true open door management, comfortable work environment"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is a bit of a clique-ish mentality in middle management that is somewhat difficult to crack"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Product is a little cumbersome and the growth process of being acquired by Lexmark is not super smooth"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great opportunity in certain depts, others not so lucky

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat vacation policy, happy hours, casual environment, you get to know everyone in the building- lots of cross-functional opportunities

ConsLack of career progression in certain departments, a lot more political than 5 years ago when it was a private company, family fun activities have been eliminated, too many people "own" the same process and don't want to help push change to a process that is broken or needs improving

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't become another typically "office space" environment. Bring back the things that made the company fun! While you do not have to have extravagant Christmas parties, don't take away all family activities. Replace them with something lower cost. Offer career progression in all departments. Make sure those doing the dirty work are properly recognized.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good place to work

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPretty good software company to work for in Kansas City. Not sure why there is such a low ranking. Looking around at other software companies in Kansas City I cannot find one that I would rate as high as this company. Sure there could be some improvements but I am satisfied with working here.

Good work/life balance.
Flexible Vacation Policy.

ConsProfessional Services Policies are a mess

Great people, good culture, great benefits

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time for more than a year

ProsPerceptive has a very relaxed culture. As long as you're getting your work done, they aren't sticklers for the 40 hour week or the 3 weeks of vacation per year thing. It's a work hard play hard atmosphere. Compensation and benefits are also very competitive for the area.

ConsThe fun culture seems to be declining since Perceptive was bought by Lexmark. Many of the perks have been slowly disappearing and I'm not quite sure when (or if) that will plateau.

Stay away from this company. You can do better elsewhere.

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time

ProsThey reimburse your expense reports.

ConsLayers of bureaucracy. Micro management. Busy work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to school.

Good place to work, but culture is slowing changing

Sales Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of good and smart people work at Perceptive. Company culture has always been one of the strengths of Perceptive. Strong core ECM product which has been supplemented by several solid products that were acquired.

ConsAll the acquisitions have caused many challenges in all departments. The company culture has always been good, but it has slowly changed since the Lexmark acquisition.

Perceptive Software sales and marketing organizations are very poorly run

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time for more than a year

ProsNot many unless you like hanging around work at 4pm on a Friday once every couple of months for a "Pour-by-4" . . .just what I always wanted . . . spend more time with my work mates at the start of a weekend.

ConsSales management in particular is very unprofessional and inexperienced. They tend to hire young, cheap labor from Kansas City area and push them until they burn out and leave. 2 year tenure is considered a veteran. Pay (commission) plan is so convoluted and confusing that they had to create a special calculator spreadsheet to estimate what they have another system already setup to calculate. . . and once you figure out the net commission rate you will want to cry.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop buying unrelated, disparate companies and then expect your sales staff to sell their products and services after a 10 or 15 minute power point presentation on the product that you pass off as "sales training".

Great company to work for in the past

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Shawnee, KS

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time for less than a year

ProsUsed to treat employees well

ConsLaid off many people people

Culture change on all fronts

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI had the opportunity to do a lot of innovative things while at Perceptive Software. They did a great job implementing Agile in development so if fast-paced software development is your thing, this could be a great job for you. The perks are nice (though exponentially less nice than they used to be) - Friday doughnuts, beer Fridays, and great Christmas parties... when they have them. The benefits fall on the better side of comparable companies, and the work-life balance is good for most.

ConsAs they've been acquired by Lexmark, the company has grown exponentially but hasn't found the level of talent it had before. Most fun company events have stopped altogether, and there has been a highly unfortunate shift from the company as a software development organization to a sales organization. The increasingly frequent acquisitions take the focus away from the kind of organic growth that made the software what it was. They are also abysmal at rewarding employees who have been there awhile and add the most to the software. Promotions are infrequent and don't come with much of a bump.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't settle for hiring lesser talent in favor of growth, reward the people who have put in hard work, and renew the focus on software development instead of sales and acquisitions.

Great place to work

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time

ProsGreat environment, friendly and helpful colleagues, good benefits, solid pay. Lots of promotions from within.

ConsLosing some of its fun and unique culture due to Lexmark. Not a huge deal, but I know it irks some of the senior people here for 5+ years.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the things that separate Perceptive from other companies or you will lose some very talented people.

Customer Facing

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat culture, great perks, and great people

Consstart up feel diminishing as PS grows

Worked for Perceptive Software? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Perceptive Software reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Perceptive Software CEO Scott Coons. All 89 reviews posted anonymously by Perceptive Software employees.