Perceptive Software

Perceptive Software Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Perceptive Software President and CEO Scott Coons

Scott Coons

Pros
  • People are very kind and the work-life balance is highly valued(in 12 reviews)

• Flexible time off and work from home schedule(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a bit of a clique-ish mentality in middle management that is somewhat difficult to crack(in 6 reviews)

• Product is a little cumbersome and the growth process of being acquired by Lexmark is not super smooth(in 3 reviews)

Perceptive Software sales and marketing organizations are very poorly run

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsNot many unless you like hanging around work at 4pm on a Friday once every couple of months for a "Pour-by-4" . . .just what I always wanted . . . spend more time with my work mates at the start of a weekend.

ConsSales management in particular is very unprofessional and inexperienced. They tend to hire young, cheap labor from Kansas City area and push them until they burn out and leave. 2 year tenure is considered a veteran. Pay (commission) plan is so convoluted and confusing that they had to create a special calculator spreadsheet to estimate what they have another system already setup to calculate. . . and once you figure out the net commission rate you will want to cry.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop buying unrelated, disparate companies and then expect your sales staff to sell their products and services after a 10 or 15 minute power point presentation on the product that you pass off as "sales training".

Great company to work for in the past

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Shawnee, KS

ProsUsed to treat employees well

ConsLaid off many people people

Great place to work

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsGreat environment, friendly and helpful colleagues, good benefits, solid pay. Lots of promotions from within.

ConsLosing some of its fun and unique culture due to Lexmark. Not a huge deal, but I know it irks some of the senior people here for 5+ years.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the things that separate Perceptive from other companies or you will lose some very talented people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Culture change on all fronts

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI had the opportunity to do a lot of innovative things while at Perceptive Software. They did a great job implementing Agile in development so if fast-paced software development is your thing, this could be a great job for you. The perks are nice (though exponentially less nice than they used to be) - Friday doughnuts, beer Fridays, and great Christmas parties... when they have them. The benefits fall on the better side of comparable companies, and the work-life balance is good for most.

ConsAs they've been acquired by Lexmark, the company has grown exponentially but hasn't found the level of talent it had before. Most fun company events have stopped altogether, and there has been a highly unfortunate shift from the company as a software development organization to a sales organization. The increasingly frequent acquisitions take the focus away from the kind of organic growth that made the software what it was. They are also abysmal at rewarding employees who have been there awhile and add the most to the software. Promotions are infrequent and don't come with much of a bump.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't settle for hiring lesser talent in favor of growth, reward the people who have put in hard work, and renew the focus on software development instead of sales and acquisitions.

Customer Facing

Prosgreat culture, great perks, and great people

Consstart up feel diminishing as PS grows

Very positive experience, one of the best places to work in Kansas City

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Shawnee, KS

ProsPerceptive Software offers a great work/life balance, fair wage, good management, and plenty of advancement opportunity. It continues to be one of the best places to work in Kansas City.

ConsThe culture seems to be melting away little by little ever since being acquired by Lexmark.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember where you came from.

Good Place to work, Lexmark makes it tough

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Shawnee, KS

ProsCulture and values are one of a kind and going to work everyday was like being with family. They have (or had) a wii, dodgeball court, and gym in their corporate office in Shawnee. They were extremely competitive (but good sports) in corporate challenge.

ConsLexmark is sitting on their culture taking away what they did best. The HR deparment didn't develop fast enough, or wasn't able (poor leadership/management) to meet recuiting needs. Gross amount of KU fans, fairly obnoxious during basketball season. So follow KU sports because you'll be talking about it.

Great place to work with above average benefits.

Consultant (Current Employee) Shawnee, KS

ProsThey treat most of their employees right.
    The company is growing quickly since Lexmark acquired it.
    Professional Services events every couple of months: Golf, winery tours, saddlers...
    Living the Dream mentality.
    Decent salaries.

ConsIf you are not in with management it is difficult to move up.
    A ton of traveling in a few roles.

Good work-life balance, very low to non-existent raises

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Shawnee, KS

ProsGood work-life balance. Some managers are great and are very good mentors. These managers try their level best to maintain a good work environment and promote good work-life balance.

ConsSome managers need more experience to be effective leaders. Middle management feels like a clique and after a while, developers feel like peons. They will give you what you ask as far as salary but raises are atrocious. I liked the company and would have not considered moving to my current job if salary was commensurate with my expectations. Good place to gain experience and move on...even promotions only allow for 5%-6% raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the effort to maintain a good work-life balance. Need to be aware of the fact that Perceptive's compensation and so called salary scale is way below industry standard. IF I had stayed at Perceptive, it might have taken me 10 years to make what I currently do at my current workplace.

A positive, rewarding place to grow your skills and enjoy those you work with

Program Readiness Professional (Current Employee) Shawnee, KS

ProsThe overall company culture is relaxed and casual. People are treated as adults unless they give reason not to be.

ConsCompensation could be better. There is a bit of a clique-ish mentality in middle management that is somewhat difficult to crack

Advice to Senior ManagementAccelerate the construction of new work space. The building is bursting at the seams. Continue to cut the dead weight that has been holding back some of the departments and let the people who are creative, talented and fantastic at what they do become the next generation of leaders that can take the customer focus of Perceptive and grow it.

Worked for Perceptive Software? Contribute to the Community!