Perceptive Software Reviews in Kansas City, MO

Updated August 22, 2014

3.6

Perceptive Software President and CEO Scott Coons
Scott Coons

Pros
  • People are very kind and the work-life balance is highly valued (in 12 reviews)

• Flexible time off and work from home schedule (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a bit of a clique-ish mentality in middle management that is somewhat difficult to crack (in 6 reviews)

• Product is a little cumbersome and the growth process of being acquired by Lexmark is not super smooth (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

80 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sales Engineer

Former Employee - Sales Engineer  in  Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

The office culture and work hard / play hard atmosphere on the sales team encouraged employees to remain engaged but not feel like they were suffering while at work. Free beer helped.

Cons

No direct comp for Sales Engineers means individual performance is not rewarded, tracked or measured.

Uncap commission, let the SE team make as much money as they can.

Everything is Awesome

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work-life balance, culture, time-off, personal growth, compensation

Cons

None, none, none, none, none

More pay and benefits.

A bright star slowly falling from the sky, what once was great is on it's way to destruction.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture, food, 401k, dress code, vacation policy. Great place to start as an entry level employee. Just don't stay long.

Cons

Immature organization. Too prideful of this culture... It's fun and all, but also not the point of operating a company. Keggers and caffeine makes smart employees happy enough only to temporarily cover the contempt of how sad middle management and lack of experience is. And you better be a native English speaker from a Big 12 school... Else you will be shunned from the majority of the e employees in Shawnee.

Make some of the tough decisions already. You sold the company and expect to compete in the Fortune 500 and international spaces but still want to operate like a small business that caters to Mom and Pop businesses with boiler plate solutions. The "hey I am a 25 year old wiz" thing, armed with bad templates, is not what it takes to cut it long term. The empty promises made to your larger customers may soon be the only "image" this company has. Cookie cutter simply will get you in far enough to fail. Hire some people with experience help transform the way you are doing business and grow., or at least TRY to do something different. Something beyond a tentative 3 month roadmap could help. Otherwise, all I see is a sinking ship with a pile of old ink cartridge money in the cabin, being driven by someone with no map or idea what it's like to navigate these types of waters. Hey, at least some really smart decent people got rich.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great growth potential but a migration towards Corporate micro-management has hindered workplace experience

Current Employee - Manager - Professional Services  in  Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Manager - Professional Services in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great growth potential for entry level employees, true open door management, comfortable work environment

Cons

Salary is lagging behind regional standard, too many products currently offered causes confusion and obstruction, poor communication between company divisions

Figure out what we need to sell, jettison the rest, and allow other departments to push back on sales about questionable statements of work

Fun, relaxed company to work for.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Environment, People, Energy all contribute to a great culture.

Cons

Management is often out of touch with employees.

Great company, hit a salary wall

Former Employee - Technical Architect  in  Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Technical Architect in Shawnee, KS

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent company. Great culture and people

Cons

Salary growth can be stagnant if you start there early in your career as with any company.

Be proactive in assessing the needs of your people

Nice people, fun environment

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Shawnee, KS

I worked at Perceptive Software as an intern for less than a year

Pros

People are very kind and the work-life balance is highly valued! The culture is supportive and driven without being overbearing.

Cons

Product is a little cumbersome and the growth process of being acquired by Lexmark is not super smooth.

Great Company to Work For, Needs More Employee Growth Opportunities

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Shawnee, KS

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really great people, some of the best and brightest I've worked with. Very fun place to work, easy to develop great relationships inside and outside of work. The technology is really solid and the company is committed to taking care of customers and providing the support they need to succeed.

Cons

I left because I didn't see how I was going to grow into bigger roles. Perceptive didn't have an organized way of developing people for leadership roles and I couldn't see how it The acquisition by Lexmark damped the original culture somewhat, but not as bad as I'd feared.

Do more to grow employees into leadership roles and provide a career path.

Great opportunity in certain depts, others not so lucky

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great vacation policy, happy hours, casual environment, you get to know everyone in the building- lots of cross-functional opportunities

Cons

Lack of career progression in certain departments, a lot more political than 5 years ago when it was a private company, family fun activities have been eliminated, too many people "own" the same process and don't want to help push change to a process that is broken or needs improving

Don't become another typically "office space" environment. Bring back the things that made the company fun! While you do not have to have extravagant Christmas parties, don't take away all family activities. Replace them with something lower cost. Offer career progression in all departments. Make sure those doing the dirty work are properly recognized.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pretty good software company to work for in Kansas City. Not sure why there is such a low ranking. Looking around at other software companies in Kansas City I cannot find one that I would rate as high as this company. Sure there could be some improvements but I am satisfied with working here.

Good work/life balance.
    Flexible Vacation Policy.

Cons

Professional Services Policies are a mess

Worked for Perceptive Software? Contribute to the Community!