Perceptive Software Reviews

Updated April 9, 2015
119 reviews filtered by

Perks of the company overshadowed by policy mess

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a good company to start out of college with, the company has a good name in the Kansas City area. They have a good product, and there is a great deal to learn in the company. If you home in on a product that nobody knows there's a potential that it can turn into a job title.

Cons

In the short time I've been here, acquisitions have been degrading the company culture. The things they were once cherished for such as 'Pour by Fours' and team outings are slowly being phased away. Professional services is nothing but a mess, leaving consultants to clean up the messes of sales, project managers and the like. Work-Life balance no longer exists; good luck getting time off when you're balancing multiple projects that are blowing up. There is a severe disconnect from sales to professional service, and it seems to be widening.

Advice to Management

Get down on the floor level and really see what's going on. Find out where disconnects are happening and do something to alleviate it. Talk with middle management more.

2. Fun company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have a dodge-ball court in-house and a annual company wide dodge-ball tournament. They are very good with flex-time and unlimited vacation time. They are a growing company.

Cons

After 9 acquisitions, they are still not profitable.

Here is the real truth about working here:

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time

Pros

If you work in the Corporate office, there are plenty of perks. As a matter of fact, those in the remote locations are reminded of them weekly with the corporate wide communications announcing the new state-of-the-art facility being built, "pour by fours", dodge ball tournaments, etc. And let's not forget about the annual sales trip. If you are a KU grad, or lucky enough to "accidentally" work on some of your colleagues accounts to make your number, you are all set for the trip, regardless of your inability to sell.

Cons

Where does one start? I can say that I highly discourage sales people from applying here. Regardless of the upside they talk about and how great it is having Lexmark as a partner, I assure you that you will be disappointed.

1. Management - there are a few good line level managers, but the senior leadership can be downright disconnected from the reality of what goes on in the field. Not to mention the abusive leadership that exists in some parts of the company.

2. Pay - if you are a serious software sales executive, run away from this place fast. Despite knowing that their account executives are terribly under paid, they continue to try and justify it with their ridiculously unattainable comp plans. You will work long hours and spend considerable time away from family, in the hopes that you will land a few deals a year. And if you do, you still won't come close to the comp they lay out for you during the hiring process.

Advice to Management

Nothing really to say since it has all been said numerous times by their employees, and they still don't care. And why should they? They are all fat and happy with their big salaries and matching egos, as they skate by on the work of others.

5. My experience at Perceptive was great, but could have been a bit better.

Former Intern - Salesforce.com Developer in Lenexa, KS
    Former Intern - Salesforce.com Developer in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Perceptive Software as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I loved the laid back atmosphere that Perceptive has. They didn't mind that I didn't wear business casual every day (most people wore jeans or cargo shorts and a polo). They push to have "fun" at work, so they have a slide going from the second floor down to the cafeteria, a dodgeball court, ping pong tables, and corn hole in the office. The hours are also very flexible. If you need to work from home, then that is completely fine with them most of the time.

Cons

I was an intern, so I didn't have a whole lot of time to form too many bad opinions on the company. My biggest bone I had to pick with them is their structure. My department was going through a couple of different managerial changes during the time I was there, so that made it hard to know what to do and who to ask when I needed guidance.

6. Sales Engineer

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The office culture and work hard / play hard atmosphere on the sales team encouraged employees to remain engaged but not feel like they were suffering while at work. Free beer helped.

Cons

No direct comp for Sales Engineers means individual performance is not rewarded, tracked or measured.

Advice to Management

Uncap commission, let the SE team make as much money as they can.

7. Software Engineering Manager

I worked at Perceptive Software full-time

Pros

Very good compensation, with Lexmark Benefits, Matching 401k

Cons

No direction, good ole boy network.

8. Everything is Awesome

Current Employee - Project Manager in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance, culture, time-off, personal growth, compensation

Cons

None, none, none, none, none

Advice to Management

More pay and benefits.

9. Shifting priorities + Poor Integration of Acquisitions = Chaos

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time

Pros

Image Now is a great product and remains core competency for PSW.

Cons

Acquired products (and people) have not been integrated well into the PSW organization. PSW is faltering on selling and servicing acquired products. Sales leadership is poor at best at building a "team atmosphere". Silos reign along with significant finger pointing when overly optimistic targets/goals are not achieved. If you didn't go to college at Kansas or K-State - you'll be at a disadvantage. Layoffs after acquisitions have been haphazard and downright cruel to exiting employees. Pay scale is relevant if you live in the KC area. Not so much if you're located in a more expensive (cost of living) state/area.

Advice to Management

Dig in and pay attention to integrating teams from legacy PSW-Lexmark and acquired companies.

10. It was good

I worked at Perceptive Software

Pros

Work/Life Balace is a pro

Cons

Overexpansion is a con for me

No longer the great place to work

I have been working at Perceptive Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are still good and those below middle management are great. The new headquarters is a great building with a lot of hi tech bells and whistles

Cons

No longer the start up culture. Assimilation by Lexmark increases everyday, taking the culture that perceptive was known for away piece by piece.

Little to no opportunities for advancement
    Compensation is well below what is warranted

Advice to Management

Middle management needs to be cleaned out and you need to work hard everyday to retain as much as you can of what used to make this a great place to work.

Perceptive Software Photos