Percipio Media Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
4.3

Everyone here is completely crazy -- in the only way that ever makes start-ups succeed!

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Percipio Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone here is stark-raving mad -- and passionate about making Percipio succeed! From the top down, everyone is wicked smart and driven. You can't help but be taken in by the tidal wave of Percipio's growth with the hopes of being washed upon the shore of her promising future. You'll be challenged and will succeed in ways you didn't know you were capable. Get ready for one hell of a ride!

Cons

This place is not for the faint of heart. The culture of constructive combat can easily be misconstrued for personal affront. The work-life balance can precariously tip toward work whether by one's own personal motivations or by the spoken and unspoken demands of the management. Caveat emptor.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring! There are currently too many single points of failure in our structure which has many of us rather close to the fire that will burn us out completely without a little more opportunity for relief.

Do the necessary research to find out what your employees could be making with a similar skill-set elsewhere so that (as you so often remind us) you can let the data decide our salaries.

2. Start, driven, nice people

I have been working at Percipio Media

Pros

The people are the best and brightest from top universities - MIT, Carnegie Melon, Harvard, Princeton. I have never worked at a company with people this smart, whom I learn so much from! You come up with your own projects, estimate their impact, and say why you believe that's what will move the company forward the most. Your opinions and work really make a difference to the bottom line. The salary and benefits are excellent!

Cons

The pressure is much higher and the pace much faster than at a normal company, which means some people don't cut it. The hiring process is very very rigorous, with data projects and/or testing that is difficult and time-consuming. You are expected to be available and constantly checking performance of your projects on evenings and weekends/holidays.

Are you top talent? Consider Percipio!

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Percipio Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Highly competitive salaries for top talent, management reinvests the significant profit this company makes back into hiring. Scalable business with room for movement at almost every level. Learn about 21st century marketing while helping people around the world find jobs! Nice benefits across the board, from the health plan to the kitchen. Management is engaged and willing to do what it takes to ensure success for both the company and its employees.

Cons

Company suffers from normal growing pains associated with rapid growth. It's slightly unsettled here while everyone figures out new roles, organization, and structure.

Advice to Management

Consider how you might help your employees commute more easily. A good percentage of the company takes public transportation, which damages productivity and morale. Can (a deal on) parking be had in Cambridge?

Perks of Werkin' at Percipio Media: FUN team, project ownership, and visible growth

Current Employee - Quantitative Data Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Quantitative Data Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Percipio Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- You get to think creatively as a marketer, businessperson, and data scientist.
    - Your time is valued -- nobody decides how to allocate your time but yourself.
    - Chill team members with lots of experiences, knowledge, and ideas to share. lots of good laughs had here
    - In a day, you can design/run experiments, analyze the results, and implement your proven ideas.
    - Lots of other nice perks - transportation/parking costs covered, a laptop for work with maxed-out specifications, company trips, lunches out in cambridge, tuition for coursework, fully-stocked kitchen, bagel fridays, the list goes on...

Cons

New hires face a steep learning curve -- for the first month or more, you might feel both less disoriented as you learn the ropes, but also more disoriented as you take on new responsibilities. Everyone is patient and helpful, in my experience. After the initial hurdles, you feel like you can fully own your work.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging a strong culture of prioritizing tasks. I've found that this helps tremendously in improving efficiency at work.

Best career decision I've made so far

I have been working at Percipio Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome place to work if you are a strategic numbers person or a data-driven engineer. Results of every test, experiment and potential new project are analyzed objectively and decisions are made based on potential impact on the business and not predispositions. Employee time is valued and never wasted. This combination allows for a steep learning curve and fast growth trajectory at both the employee and company level, letting us quickly deliver an increasingly better customer experience. Incredibly smart group of analytical people working on cool things and tackling tough problems. Encouraged by management to take advantage of professional development opportunities.

Cons

The fast pace, level of ownership/accountability and sense of urgency aren't for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage and facilitate collaboration across teams as the company grows.

Rooting for Percipio's Success

I worked at Percipio Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Percipio is a very high growth internet start up in Cambridge, and provides incredible opportunities for each employee to take ownership of an area of the business. Focus is key in this environment, so be sure to know what part of the business you "own." The culture is also very collegial, so while you can and often will work independently, everyone and anyone will make themselves available to offer guidance or feedback. Working in this space also affords instant gratification in determining whether something you've worked on made an impact or not.

Management will provide you whatever resources or support you need to be successful, and in kind make the company successful.

Cons

You've got to be sharp, on your toes, and certain of what your role is. Not for the slow learner.

Overall a great experience that has helped me in my career here and beyond

I have been working at Percipio Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work here is personal/professional development. Because of Percipio's tireless focus on growth and commitment to the scientific method (hypothesize, test, iterate), I have been able to plan, execute and implement hundreds of marketing experiments in a short period of time. As such, I feel that I have learned more at Percipio in the past year+ than I would have in 3+ years elsewhere.

Being surrounded by so many other bright people creates numerous interesting/challenging discussions daily. The days fly by.

Cons

Not the best process for getting a new employee up to speed. Would benefit from a more scripted orientation for new hires -- tailored to their particular role.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring talented people to add depth and support to the team. You need more smart people to fuel growth.

Sep 5, 2014CEO

Thanks for your feedback here.
    I hear you on the on-boarding issue and think you are right in needing to move this up on the priority list. As I am sure you know we have MANY more hires we will be
    ... More

Great people, successful business

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Percipio Media part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people at Percipio are great to work with - very smart, very motivated, and given lots of independence to make high-level decisions. Culture is hard-working, but caring and fun. Face-time isn't necessary, but (of course) you'll get more done in the office. Busy-work is practically forbidden - results are king. Business is BOOMING! There are lots of resources to use to get things done.

Cons

Environment is very flexible, meaning that you're not always sure who is responsible for what. And sometimes, the person responsible is.... you! Once I figured this out, it made (and still makes) my job much more fun (so maybe this isn't a Con...)

Need to have a laser focus on tasks-at-hand. Business is moving so quickly that once you get something done, you need to move along to the next task and don't have lots of time to do a post-mortem.

Advice to Management

Have patience with employees who are learning how to triage... it's a harder skill than you might think. Incredibly valuable once you develop it, but different from LOTS of other companies.

Great company, be prepared to learn, grow and have fun.

I have been working at Percipio Media full-time

Pros

Very smart dedicated team. Almost all employees hail from MIT or CMU. This is a very data driven environment where the use of "i think" statements do not hold merit unless you can back your claims up with data.

Management team is heavily vested in growing the business and its employees careers. You will learn, you will be challenged and you will grow yourself professionally more than you thought was possible.

Regardless of your level of position in the company anyone can be a key contributor and rise to the occasion. Your efforts do not go unnoticed and those who can "bring it" succeed, age does not matter.

Cons

Awful commute to cambridge every day but due to relations with MIT, company is not moving away from the campus.

Company does not employ any remote employees.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. Percipio is clearly on a lightening path growth rate and headed down the road of success. Happy to be part of the team.

Sep 5, 2014CEO

Appreciate your taking time for the supportive comments!
    Sorry 'bout the commute.
    We'll see if MIT's CSAIL is open to a few branch locations. ;o)

Smartest group of people I have ever worked with. Great experience!

Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Percipio Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, intellectually challenging, and constantly evolving. Great place to learn true data analytics and engage in healthy debate with colleagues. Employees are given a lot of autonomy and ownership over their area of the business. Amazing office space and great extra perks like a stocked fridge, free snacks, & fun company events.

Cons

Environment is extremely fast paced and intense which may not work for everyone. Employees need to be tenacious, curious and driven as there's not a ton of in depth processes and training in place yet (it's a start up!). If you aren't willing to work hard and take ownership and responsibility for business results, Percipio is probably not a great fit for you.

Advice to Management

Keep rewarding your top talent and make sure they continue to know how valued they are.

YES YOU ARE VALUED!!!
    Thanks for taking the time here.
    And thanks for the advice. Our customers and membership will be served best by ensuring we hire the best - and they certainly deserve
    ... More